Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Sunglass recommendations for sports photography

Owen Hammond

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunglass recommendations for sports photography

Hey all,

Just wondering what recommendations you have for good quality sunnies when shooting sports all day in the field?

Not so much of an issue when i'm spending long days shooting golf or motor-sport - but this summer I've been shooting a lot more beach volleyball for our national series. 10-12 hours shooting in harsh (v.high glare) conditions is leading to eye fatigue by the end of the weekend so i'm trying to avoid that wherever possible.

I'm looking for something lightweight but that also will give me as best an image as possible when looking thru the viewfinder. My last few pairs have been Photochromatic Serengetis of various styles - but for those of your out in the field for long days - i'd certainly be interested in hearing your opinions and recommendations - looking for lightweight (the serengetis are a tad heavy) and unobtrusive when shooting as possible.

cheers & thanks in advance,
Owen

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:00 AM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunglass recommendations for sports photography

Cycling glasses will probably be your best bet. Light and close to your face to be aerodynamic.

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunglass recommendations for sports photography

These are sturdy, fit close to the face and are soothing to the eyes. I wear them all day everyday in the construction business and when shooting.

http://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/rb4166/622

Marty

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:21 PM
pbjunkiee

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunglass recommendations for sports photography

Costa Del Mar all the way.

I have a pair of their man o war 580's

best glasses out there.

https://www.costadelmar.com/home

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:41 PM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunglass recommendations for sports photography

I'd stay away from polarizing spec lenses. I have them (prescription) and struggle to chimp or even read the LCD screen..

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sunglass recommendations for sports photography

IMO this is sort of like asking what underwear is best to wear when shooting!!

I kid, but not much. Everyone's face is so different I truly don't quite know how one can get relevant information from any other way than just trying different sunglasses on your face to see what works best.

For example, I like some of the styles Oakley makes, but never can seem to find a style that fits me comfortably. I prefer and almost exclusively wear Gargoyles, but even within that brand there are different models they make that don't fit well on me. I prefer that Gargoyles Legends wrap around and give good protection from wind and sun, and they're pretty tough. I have several pair with different lenses and find that I always end up removing them or lifting them up when I need to chimp. But, best of all, they fit on my face better than any other sunglass I've ever tried.

Feb 05, 2013 at 09:18 PM
Heidi
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sunglass recommendations for sports photography

Owen,
I have prescription sunglasses, but was inquiring at the Spectacle Shoppe about non-prescription glasses for my husband. Have you thought of going to a professional eye glasses place and getting the lenses that you want. My last glasses have HD lenses and I love them. There is a large selection of frames and you don't have to have prescription glass/plastic put in your frames. The glass/plastic is probably better quality than some of the over the counter type glasses. Just my .02 They might also be able to help you pick out frames that will work best for you while looking through a viewfinder.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM
j.brevard
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sunglass recommendations for sports photography

I always buy the cheap sunglasses from walmart back with all the fishing stuff (polarized), they are cheap and seem to be the only kind i never lose. If they get scratched or you break them you are out 10-12 bucks.

Feb 15, 2013 at 06:35 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sunglass recommendations for sports photography

I have two different pair of prescripion glasses for driving and reading.
I seldom need or use them.
The cheap safety glasses for work are more usefull.
Dark for outdoors and yellow for driving at night.
I prefer to shoot without them with the sun at my back if at all possible.

Feb 18, 2013 at 02:16 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sunglass recommendations for sports photography

Interesting post and question. I shoot in the Sonoran desert (softball and baseball start Friday) and believe me we have glare! I've always shot without glasses assuming that I would not be able to see properly to frame and shoot. I gather that many of you shoot thru sun glasses? Was it hard to adapt? Do you find it affects how you shoot? I tend to keep the viewfinder tight up against the eye/face for greater stability and suspect that would be hard to do with glasses on.

Very interested in how you guys do this as the light here really can kill.

Robert

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:12 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password