Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

abadass
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

Aloha folks. Been a lurker for a few months and finally sharing my first wedding gig as a lead. I normally 2nd with my friend. So excited but nervous at the same time :P

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:08 AM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #2 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

These are really great moments.

And, I'm actually going to just come out and say it: Your dress shot is the first one I've ever seen with a plastic hanger where the plastic hanger didn't make me say, "Aww, man. If only they didn't use a plastic hanger."

Nice work!

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:25 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #3 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

Prettym1k3 wrote:
These are really great moments.

And, I'm actually going to just come out and say it: Your dress shot is the first one I've ever seen with a plastic hanger where the plastic hanger didn't make me say, "Aww, man. If only they didn't use a plastic hanger."

Nice work!

Thanks!

I think that was the first time I've encountered a plastic hanger too... Shucks, should've used the hotel's hanger. Next time!

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:28 PM
thethinkcouch
• • • •
p.1 #4 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

i didn't see HAWAII in your photos. i barely got a sense of it, actually. photos aren't great... but they definitely aren't bad.

-number your photos next time.

-don't shoot armpit shots.

//ed

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:41 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #5 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

thethinkcouch wrote:
i didn't see HAWAII in your photos. i barely got a sense of it, actually. photos aren't great... but they definitely aren't bad.

-number your photos next time.

-don't shoot armpit shots.

//ed

This wasn't a destination wedding.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:19 PM
thethinkcouch
• • • •
p.1 #6 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

i know...

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:20 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #7 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

and the wedding was not supposed to be a "Hawaiian" theme either. Just because it is in the state of Hawaii, it doesn't need to scream Hawaii.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:24 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

abadass wrote:
and the wedding was not supposed to be a "Hawaiian" theme either. Just because it is in the state of Hawaii, it doesn't need to scream Hawaii.

When is a beautiful sky / weather / scenery ever a bad thing? It sounds like you almost tried to avoid it... which is puzzling.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:26 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #9 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

SloPhoto wrote:
When is a beautiful sky / weather / scenery ever a bad thing? It sounds like you almost tried to avoid it... which is puzzling.

definitely not a bad thing, the day was nice and sunny. We wanted something a bit different than going to the typical beach shots. Also things got pushed back and shortened formals.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TAGfan
• • •
p.1 #10 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

abadass wrote:

If you don't want constructive criticism when you post a set, just let people know. Otherwise, you are going to get people's opinions, most of which I'm guessing you won't agree with.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:34 PM
thethinkcouch
• • • •
p.1 #11 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

...look, i'm not trying to bust your balls or anything like that... just giving you some honest CC. we're all "artist" here and it's really personal when our work gets criticized.

it's up to you to agree or not. from there... simply just move on and grow as your own photographer. it's nothing personal.

you're in HAWAII. paradise... take advantage of that. i know i would if i were in your shoes.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:37 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #12 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

TAGfan wrote:
If you don't want constructive criticism when you post a set, just let people know. Otherwise, you are going to get people's opinions, most of which I'm guessing you won't agree with.

I'm welcome to criticism, I'll admit I did take it the wrong way.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:37 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #13 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

abadass wrote:
definitely not a bad thing, the day was nice and sunny. We wanted something a bit different than going to the typical beach shots. Also things got pushed back and shortened formals.

I dont think that is what ed is saying you should have done. I really should not speak for him as he is the bad ass and I am a noob... but when you even look at the small stuff there might have been opportunity. Take number 6 (the dress shot on the balcony). Was there a nice skyline to the right of that shot?

All in all, I like some of the moments. My only C&C is that it is very unfortunate where your OCF was during the garter/bouquet toss. It is very visually jarring to me to have that bright spot separating the bride/groom from where they are throwing things.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:38 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #14 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

SloPhoto wrote:
I dont think that is what ed is saying you should have done. I really should not speak for him as he is the bad ass and I am a noob... but when you even look at the small stuff there might have been opportunity. Take number 6 (the dress shot on the balcony). Was there a nice skyline to the right of that shot?

All in all, I like some of the moments. My only C&C is that it is very unfortunate where your OCF was during the garter/bouquet toss. It is very visually jarring to me to have that
...Show more

Yeah, the skyline was nice. I did photograph her more on the right side (to avoid the building) to get a batter backdrop but the wall that divides the balcony to the next room is an awful color and I felt was kind of weird.

I agree with the flash placement, wasn't the best.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:46 PM
widjayaman
• • •
p.1 #15 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

All I will say is ed knows his hawaii. #respect

Feb 05, 2013 at 09:40 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #16 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

This is a great place to start. pretty darn interesting for your first time thru as a lead.

watch you WB ... they are all over the place.
Nothing wrong with embracing your environment .... actually helps bring fullness to the coverage.

See some blown high lights.

I do like the balcony shot and several others.

Keep going and keep shooting.

-Mark

Feb 05, 2013 at 10:58 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #17 · First Time Sharing. L+M in Honolulu.

Ziffl3 wrote:
This is a great place to start. pretty darn interesting for your first time thru as a lead.

watch you WB ... they are all over the place.
Nothing wrong with embracing your environment .... actually helps bring fullness to the coverage.

See some blown high lights.

I do like the balcony shot and several others.

Keep going and keep shooting.

-Mark

Thank you for noting the WB. I'll keep them consistent next time. I do notice there are different WB for outdoor or interior.

I love incorporating the environment as well, which is why i love the 35mm more than my 50mm. Wanted to try something different. We were photographing in the Japanese tea garden at University of Hawaii Manoa campus but needed to move swiftly. Bummers!

Thanks Mark.

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:07 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password