Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2013 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

bigbluebear
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

The new sigma has been out for a while now and been getting pretty good reviews so far. Has it gotten the same love here at FM?

If you had the option, which one would you rather own? I'm throwing in option 3 since I'm sure there will be those that want to include it in the conversation

Feb 04, 2013 at 10:59 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

Had both lenses. I had AF troubles with the Sigma so I sent it in for calibration and it came back better, but it was still off target by a little bit which was more apparent at distance. For that reason, I voted for the L. Both lenses offer fantastic IQ. The sigma was better in this regard however. It was sharp at 1.4 while the canon reached the same level by f2 ime.

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:11 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

If I didn't own the Canon 35L I would probably get the Sigma, based on what I've read and heard about it.

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:17 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

erikburd wrote:
If I didn't own the Canon 35L I would probably get the Sigma, based on what I've read and heard about it.

same boat as you. You forgot door #2 though which I'm considering - sell the 35L and pick up the sigma.

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

Test reviews all seem to be pretty good in favor of the Sigma. But if you check another thread here, it seems that about 25% of critical users are dissatisfied or find the Sigma does not focus properly. That's a pretty high percentage -- I'd expect around 10% would mark a new model as "trouble" for the maker.

For the majority that finds it works as it should, fantastic. I don't like odds for myself.

I voted for the 35/2 IS -- seems to get very good reviews, and no major problems I'm aware of. I like the IS feature.

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:48 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

Hi gunzorro.

I'm curious what the statistic would be if the same pool of users were to test out a 35L

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

The Sigma is a better lens

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:53 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

bigbluebear wrote:
Hi gunzorro.

I'm curious what the statistic would be if the same pool of users were to test out a 35L

Yes, this is a common complaint for the 35L as well. However, I have read at least 4 different users claim that focus problems disappeared when they switched from a 5DII to a 5DIII. It makes one suspect that focusing issues may have been camera related; another factor contributing to the overall category of "my 35L won't focus". I wonder how many that had problems with the Sigma 35 f/1.4 also used it on a 5DII?

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

Exactly the same poll as here was a couple of weeks ago

The Sigma lens is excellent. And have a lower price also

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:08 AM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
Exactly the same poll as here was a couple of weeks ago

I searched canon sigma 35mm f/1.4 but nothing popped up. If you could link the thread, that'd be appreciated.

Sorry bout the double post then.

Sigma is cheaper but there's positives I've enjoyed about sticking to canon lenses. For example, I find it extremely easy to deal with CPS when problems go wrong. Also there's the presumption of better compatibility with canon bodies (the second may not be always true).

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:10 AM
jolson72
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

Even if the Sigma is reportedly better.... I think there is a certain peace of mind that comes with knowing that Canon L lenses have been taking a beating for 20 years. While they have problems, I think Canon lenses are very robust and long lasting in my experience.

While I'd really like to support Sigma, I tried two Sigma 50mm 1.4 lenses.... and neither were anywhere close to being accurate in focus. And I have had 8 - 10 Canon lenses that all focus correctly.

Hopefully Sigma is making a huge step forward with their latest lenses, however....

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

bigbluebear wrote:
I searched canon sigma 35mm f/1.4 but nothing popped up. If you could link the thread, that'd be appreciated.

Sigma is cheaper but there's positives I've enjoyed about sticking to canon lenses. For example, I find it extremely easy to deal with CPS when problems go wrong. Also there's the presumption of better compatibility with canon bodies (the second may not be always true).

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1182525/0#11274543

The Sigma won that poll

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:17 AM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

bigbluebear wrote:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1182525

I sold my 35L and picked up the Sigma... love it.

/r
Andy

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

I love the sigma and I have shot with the Canon and Nikon versions. The Sigma is better.

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

jolson72 wrote:
Even if the Sigma is reportedly better.... I think there is a certain peace of mind that comes with knowing that Canon L lenses have been taking a beating for 20 years. While they have problems, I think Canon lenses are very robust and long lasting in my experience.

While I'd really like to support Sigma, I tried two Sigma 50mm 1.4 lenses.... and neither were anywhere close to being accurate in focus. And I have had 8 - 10 Canon lenses that all focus correctly.

Hopefully Sigma is making a huge step forward with their latest lenses, however....

it's more fair to compare the Sigma against the Canon non L which are more similar in price. But this Sigma lens will beat both the L and non L. It also have a much better finish and build than the older Sigma lenses you tried

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

I'm torn between the Sigma and the new 35 f/2 IS. 35L doesn't interest me any more.

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:25 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

I had the 35L before. Today I own the Sigma 35/1,4, Zeiss ZE 35/1,4 & Zeiss ZE 35/2 (both Zeiss in canon mount)
The Sigma is the sharpest lens out of those. The Zeiss ZE 35/1,4 has the best bokeh. The 35L is way behind both of those lenses.
For it's price the Sigma is a fantastic lens. And the AF is also good. I have been shooting about 2500 pics with the Sigma in the last month. Most of them with my 1DX. And I'm still surprised how good and sharp the lens is when using it wide open

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

Should you just search forum for 10 other similar polls with all happy new Sig owners opinions?

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:30 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

bigbluebear wrote:

Nothing wrong with another poll. The first poll came out when the Sigma was a newborn. Few people had them and most of the votes were probably cast based on reviews and samples posted here and on other forums. As the sigma gets a bit more saturated into the market I will be curious to see how it does...say 6 months from now.

Lots of photogs whos opinion I respect seem to really like the lens but I cannot see the need to move there from my 35L.

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:41 AM
twistedlim
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 35mm f/1.4 : canon or sigma?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I had the 35L before. Today I own the Sigma 35/1,4, Zeiss ZE 35/1,4 & Zeiss ZE 35/2 (both Zeiss in canon mount)
The Sigma is the sharpest lens out of those. The Zeiss ZE 35/1,4 has the best bokeh. The 35L is way behind both of those lenses.
For it's price the Sigma is a fantastic lens. And the AF is also good. I have been shooting about 2500 pics with the Sigma in the last month. Most of them with my 1DX. And I'm still surprised how good and sharp the lens is when using it wide open

Glad to see someone with multiple 35 mm lens. I am really wanting to pick up the 35 2.0 IS but am thinking it will be redundant with my 35L. There are things I can do with one and not the other with both lens as well as many areas that would be covered with both lens. Decisions, decisions...

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:44 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.