Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

Grantland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

Hi,

My D800 died the other day before a shoot. Always bring a backup!

What happened? I did a quick card format and check at home and headed off to the shoot. Unpacked the D800 turned it on and the screen blinked and went dead. I change the battery and it did not respond. Did some reading and tried a few things at home over the weekend and it is dead. Off to Nikon today.

Anyhow, I am interested to learn how long I will be without my D800 as this is my first time sending something to Nikon for repair. I shot Canon for 10 years and loved CPS and it's fast turnaround time. Typically with Canon I would ship a broken item on a Monday and have it back in my hands by Friday.

Anyone care to guess when I will be holding my D800 again?

Grant

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:31 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #2 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

Its hard to tell. I have waited 2 months each for 2 different repairs. One repair was my D3x screen went out the other was my 300 f2.8 needed a new lens mount. Other repairs have been on average 7-10 days. It all depends if they need parts and don't have any handy they will have to ship from Japan.

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:45 AM
ScottSchupbach
• • • •
p.1 #3 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

1 month minimum.

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:46 AM
davenfl
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

Grant, we a have substantial number pro bodies, both Nikon and Canon for our family business of 5 commercial photographers. Honestly while I love Nikon (and hold both NPS and CPS status) their service is a crap shoot.

Nikon (last 3 service issues over last 6 months)
- D3S rear LCD fogged and random power loss- warranty- time from shipping to return- 41 days
- D800 AF issues - warranty- time from shipping to return 20 days
- D4 AF issues, rear LCD displaying odd colors - warranty - time from shipping to return 13 days

They definitely seem to always be short of the mark set by Canon service. We sent all out of warranty work to APS in Chicago (authorized service center) and turnaround averages 5-10 days. Best of luck, perhaps we are just unlucky.

Dave

Edited on Feb 05, 2013 at 03:22 AM · View previous versions

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:01 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #5 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

wow, i figured a week or two but . . . a month or longer?

they are to receive the camera on Wednesday I hope to hear from them by weeks end.

you all have helped me lower my expectations so no worries.

thanks!

Feb 05, 2013 at 03:20 AM
VinnieJ
• • •
p.1 #6 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

CPS will spoil you. Try not to get too discouraged.

Last time I experienced Nikon support, I sent a D7000 in for focus repair and got it back in a week saying nothing was wrong and send in a lens with the issue for further diagnosis. I sent in the lens (another week) and they still said nothing was wrong. Long story short, I no longer use a D7000.

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:46 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

VinnieJ wrote:
CPS will spoil you. Try not to get too discouraged.

Last time I experienced Nikon support, I sent a D7000 in for focus repair and got it back in a week saying nothing was wrong and send in a lens with the issue for further diagnosis. I sent in the lens (another week) and they still said nothing was wrong. Long story short, I no longer use a D7000.

can't say that I was "spoiled" by my days with CPS with my 1Ds2. imager failed in a month and a half old body. assurances were made and they failed to deliver until it was way too late. it was eventually replaced by them. but the first round of damage was done. there were 3 other events with 3 other products.
to this day since 2009 I have only required 1 item to actually be repaired by Nikon. it was done under an extended warranty.

I use my D7000 constantly. even more then my D4. and they are both my working tools

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #8 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

I broke a few lenses over the years with Canon and I did get spoiled. A week was the longest I ever had to wait.

To think of waiting over a month is ridiculous.

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:24 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #9 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

Grantland wrote:
I broke a few lenses over the years with Canon and I did get spoiled. A week was the longest I ever had to wait.

I can accept somewhat slow service given concise and accurate flow of information about what's what. The most frustrating thing for me personally is not so much that it takes them forever but rather that you cannot get accurate information back from them if they decide to communicate at all. That to me smacks of a larger corporate culture issue local to Nikon USA which is disturbing.

Dave

Feb 05, 2013 at 04:51 PM
ariel777
• •
p.1 #10 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

The turnaround time on my three trips to Nikon LA have been one week on two occasions and 4 months on another. The latter dealt with a replacement part. It "appears" that if it's a simply matter of service, the time frame is relatively fast; if it's a part, an unreasonably long wait is in order.

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #11 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

ariel777 wrote:
The turnaround time on my three trips to Nikon LA have been one week on two occasions and 4 months on another. The latter dealt with a replacement part. It "appears" that if it's a simply matter of service, the time frame is relatively fast; if it's a part, an unreasonably long wait is in order.

Well I guess it is what it is. I will hope for a simple fix and be patient if longer.

thanks!

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:05 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

Grantland wrote:

the turn around time on the 1Ds2 was 1 week after I got back from a 3 week trip involving work down under and that started a week and 2 days before the trip started.

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:05 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #13 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

sjms wrote:
the turn around time on the 1Ds2 was 1 week after I got back from a 3 week trip involving work down under and that started a week and 2 days before the trip started.

no doubt my zeal for pot in my youth has hindered my ability to read since into these type statements. but it sounds good.

and who wouldn't love traveling to Australia?

cheers

Feb 05, 2013 at 09:38 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

and NZ. I ended up resorting to my then BU 1D2. very disappointing and that's no joke.

Canon EOS-1D Mark II    17mm    f/11.0    1/500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 05, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #15 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

update:

i received my D800 back from Nikon yesterday. Two weeks and one day not too bad.

can't wait to take it out for a spin today.

grant

Feb 20, 2013 at 06:21 PM
ScottSchupbach
• • • •
p.1 #16 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

That's great news Grant! Maybe they are listening to us.

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:10 PM
domdog31
• • •
p.1 #17 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

day 21 of a warranty AF repair on my D800E with Nikon Melville

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:23 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.1 #18 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

Grantland wrote:
update:

i received my D800 back from Nikon yesterday. Two weeks and one day not too bad.

can't wait to take it out for a spin today.

grant

Another data point - I recently sent my D800e in for the left AF repair. It also took 2 weeks.

Seems to take a little bit longer than Canon but 2 weeks wasn't unreasonable.

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:33 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #19 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

I've had reason to use both CPS and NPS in the last couple of years and both have excelled. I sent a flash to NPS on monday afternoon and had it back wednesday morning.

I sent a body & lens to CPS on a monday morning, had the lens back wednesday and the body back thursday.

So, while lots of people don't think they are worth it, when you are counting on gear to be there for a shoot, these services have proved them selves to be worth it- at least to me. YMMV.

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:38 PM
Alan Ness
• • •
p.1 #20 · D800 died - Nikon Repair???

I recently got my D800e back from LA in slightly less than two weeks for the outer AF point(s) adjustment. Tested it last weekend and by golly now my far left and right focus points are my two highest rated using the FoCal Pro software. So they fixed this minor problem (rarely select these two focus points) and created a much bigger focus problem as the center focus point (which I probably use 75% of the time) is now my weakest focus point and much worse than when I sent it in. I don't think they paid any credence to the FoCal tests results and have requested more images. Waiting to hear if they will fix this. Won't be surprised if I hear that my camera is "within their acceptable range".

Feb 20, 2013 at 07:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password