Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

Archive 2013 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #1 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Wow.. that is a LONG way for a 300 + 1.7. Going to do it in the backyard today - will need the neighbor's yard too. Kind of windy also... wish me luck.

Thanks.

B

Feb 16, 2014 at 06:13 PM
blutch
• • •
p.7 #2 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Well shoot... as a bird shooter I'm all over the map on this one. I often use it for feeder birds where I'm only 20-30 feet away and I use it for BIF and raptors where I'm 100 ft away.. what to do?

B

workerdrone wrote:

You should fine tune at the most common distance you would use that lens at, no formulas needed really

Feb 16, 2014 at 06:17 PM
workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #3 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Fine tune at several distances then. Note results.

Then apply said results in field when distance changes. Adjust on the fly as needed for changing lighting conditions and current results.

Feb 23, 2014 at 03:45 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.7 #4 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

^ This. Anyone who doesn't "tweak" in the field could be missing out
on the best IQ your combo is capable of. Takes me less than a minute
and I DON'T dot tune. Checking the histo on this grab I noticed the
adult (focus point on head) was slightly backfocused. Added a -5 and
the rest of the session was spot on. This will become 2nd nature with
considerable practice as you become more familiar with light/subject
distance relationships. BIF and sports shooters don't have time for a
lens align or dot tune rigamarole, when the action's hot. Just sayin'

AF-S 300 f4/TC-17E II 1.2 crop mode
handheld SOOC (effective 600mm FOV)

riversbendphotography

NIKON D800    500mm    f/9.0    1/1600s    200 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Feb 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM
blutch
• • •
p.7 #5 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Will, just got the D800. Less keepers than the D3s, but my technique is slowly improving. I use it with the 300/4 and 1.7TC II. What is the difference between shooting in 1.2 crop mode and cropping in post? I dot-tuned this combo.

Here's a couple of a Coopers Hawk or Sharp-Shinned Hawk I did yesterday. Most have pretty serious crop on them.

B

Feb 23, 2014 at 02:06 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.7 #6 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

I use it with the 300/4 and 1.7TC II. What is the difference between shooting in 1.2 crop mode and cropping in post?

5 fps vs. 4, Michael. I find it a happy medium between FX (4) and DX (6)
and my captures employing the 1.2 mode just jump off the screen.
I've printed 200% crops to 11 X 14...works for me. Funny, I was just
talkin' to a Canon guy about this and how I loved the 1.3 crop on
their Pro bodys. It was actually 1.25 but I missed that until I came
over to the dark side and the release of the D800(e)

BTW, your shots seem a bit front focused and I have to question your SS.
Exif wasn't available BUT I'm guessing it was too slow, hence motion blur.

Edited on Feb 23, 2014 at 10:50 PM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2014 at 05:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

blutch
• • •
p.7 #7 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

Thank you for the feedback and information TM. I have dot tuned, but I know what you mean about some of them not being super sharp. Those above are at 100% crop or close to it. I wonder why my exif data is not available? I host these through flikr and I haven't shut it off. Let me look up SS on these images....

1. 1/400th at f6.7

2. 1/1250th at f4 - no TC

3. 1/1250th at f4 - no TC

They look a bit sharper on my screen in LR, so perhaps there is some degradation here or on Flikr.

Thanks

- MICHAEL

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM
elkhornsun
• • •
p.7 #8 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

This is actually an inferior technique as it relies on the small LCD to determine whether a small object is in focus.

I am shooting with lens with focal lengths of 200mm up to 1000mm (with teleconverters) and use a test object that is at a distance of 200 feet and is 3 x 6 inches in size with stamped lettering into metal. I can tell in the images the level of sharpness both closer and further from the test object and also determine the sharpness of the embossed lettering as a 3-D test subject.

I need to view the test shots on a computer monitor to compare slight differences in sharpness between the different AF Fine Tune settings.

I take successive shots at -5, 0, +5, +10, +15 which takes less than a minute to do. I then look at the pictures and determine which setting provides the sharpest rendition of the test subject. If it is -5 then I take a series with -5, -10, -15 and review them. If it is the +10 with +15 the next best then I take a series at +10, +12, +13 and compare them to get it dialed in. This entire process takes 5 minutes but it is a one time test.

The reality is that when I travel to a distant location and in theory should redo the test on the lens with the three teleconverters I am not going to try to find a suitable test subject at a suitable distance and repeat the testing with my laptop.

It took me less than an hour to test my new 500mm f4 with the three Nikon teleconverters with my D800e and D7100 cameras and produce AF Fine Tune settings. I see no reason to go with a less accurate process that is not likely to save me time and even if it did a difference of minutes is inconsequential in the overall scheme of things.

I believe based on my experience with Nikon and Canon telephoto lenses that the AF fine tune adjustment needs to be for the greatest expected focus distance and not for something that is 30 feet away which is why I found the AF targets useless for fine tuning purposes with any of my telephoto lenses.

Feb 25, 2014 at 08:34 PM
Humanoid
• •
p.7 #9 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

My D800e and 600mm VR using FocalPro tuned to -4, after a recent Nikon Service to adjust the af. Using Dot tune and the same Focal Target the combo tuned to either -4 or -5. The -5 setting was dead on.

Ray

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:38 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.7 #10 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

elkhornsun wrote:
This is actually an inferior technique as it relies on the small LCD to determine whether a small object is in focus.

I am shooting with lens with focal lengths of 200mm up to 1000mm (with teleconverters) and use a test object that is at a distance of 200 feet and is 3 x 6 inches in size with stamped lettering into metal. I can tell in the images the level of sharpness both closer and further from the test object and also determine the sharpness of the embossed lettering as a 3-D test subject.

I need to view the
...Show more

If you use the Live View autofocus then you don't need to rely on the evaluation of sharpness on the LCD for the DotTune process. The problem with shooting images and loading them into the computer is that adds shot-to-shot mechanical variability into the process. I agree about the distance - I usually tune near infinity. And as for time, I can tune in under 2 minutes on Nikon bodies for each body/lens combo.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:09 PM
VJ218

p.7 #11 · DotTune: New AF tune technique, no photos required

I am having problem adjusting mine, help please.

The first flicker stops at -6 and from there the focus confirmation dot at the viewfinder does not flicker all the way to +20.

What am I doing wrong? Btw, I have D700 with 50 1.8 g set at 1.8 and a distance of 8.2 feet.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 13, 2014 at 04:41 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password