Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · big glass from canada?

Plinian
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · big glass from canada?

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but...

I'm looking for a new lens, and prices for the 500 or 600 II (camera canada or thecamerastore.com) seem 10 - 15% less than favorite New York online retailers.

Any experience or comments about an online purchase from Canada? (shipping to the US of course)

Canon warranties seem to do well across the 49th parallel, and there seem to be little or no import duties/taxes, but there is also not a lot of readily available information.

Thanks.

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:26 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · big glass from canada?

My 500 II is from Camera Canada. I ordered it from them when none of the US retailers had it in stock. It came through without any problems and was packaged very well.
Fred

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:41 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · big glass from canada?

You may find that some of the Canadian retailers are no longer willing to ship to the USA due to shipping hassles (and customers who don't understand that they are required to pay duty and brokerage charges when they import goods).

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · big glass from canada?

I paid no brokerage charges. (I'm thinking this is a UPS, FedEx charge)
For $250, my lens was shipped via XpressPost. When it gets to the US, it is handled by USPS. I got my lens in 4 days.

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · big glass from canada?

Fred Miranda wrote:
I paid no brokerage charges. (I'm thinking this is a UPS, FedEx charge)
For $250, my lens was shipped via XpressPost. When it gets to the US, it is handled by USPS. I got my lens in 4 days.

If it's shipped by mail, you avoid the US Customs import duty and the shipper's brokerage charges, but you don't have insurance coverage if the lens is damaged in transit - the maximum coverage is only $1000.

If you ship by UPS or FedEx you can get full coverage, but they are obligated to collect duty on behalf of the US government, and they charge brokerage fees for doing so.

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:37 PM
Plinian
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · big glass from canada?

Thanks, molson and Fred. Very helpful, and I look forward to posting some images captured with Canadian glass.

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:08 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · big glass from canada?

My understanding when thinking about doing this was that if you ship fedex or ups express, then there is no extra charges, but it costs quite a bit.

Feb 05, 2013 at 12:57 AM
SeattleBirdMan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · big glass from canada?

A few things to take into account when ordering Canon Gear from Canada:

Exchange rate and conversion fees - right now I think they are less than a penny difference. If you use a credit card to purchase most add a conversion fee. This could be 3-4% which is a lot on $9-12K. Capital One is a credit card that is not supposed to add conversion fees as I understand.

Import Duty - currently duties on camera equipment made in Japan is 2.3% of value. You would have to pay that to a shipper like FedEx plus a flat fee of around $35 I think.

Shipping - I think you have to pay for shipping on top of the price when buying from most Canada stores.

You will want to take all these into account to figure out if it is still a good deal.

For the 600mm after all is said and done you can probably save 1 $1,000 or so.

Doug

Feb 06, 2013 at 06:44 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password