Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Old Drobo-S can do USB 3.0 !

schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Old Drobo-S can do USB 3.0 !

Got one of these on a whim to see if I can use my Drobo-S eSata but on a machine without eSata but has USB 3.0.

Bingo, it works!

http://www.datoptic.com/usb3-usb2-to-esata-with-port-multiplier.html

Matt

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Old Drobo-S can do USB 3.0 !

You could of course buy a e-sata card instead. What do you gain doing this instead? And how is the speed compared to a real e-sata connection ?

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:18 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Old Drobo-S can do USB 3.0 !

Plan is to re-deploy the drobo-s to backup my iMac and multiple macbook airs in the house (mac doesn't have eSata). Have only spent a brief time with it to verify functionality as its still connected to my windows machine. Next step is to connect it to the iMac, format to HFS+ and do some speed tests.

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Old Drobo-S can do USB 3.0 !

yes, it is backwards/forward compatible as is all USB. but it will functions at the older S speed. in this case if your iMac is USB2 that's its limit.

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:55 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Old Drobo-S can do USB 3.0 !

this is a usb3 to esata dongle connected into a usb3 port... I'll test the speed but expect to see usb3 performance....

running copy now of large folders full of 21MB photos, task manager showing disk i/o performance ranging from 60-100MB/sec

Feb 04, 2013 at 10:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Old Drobo-S can do USB 3.0 !

so you are running it into a usb 3 port in your imac?

Feb 04, 2013 at 10:38 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Old Drobo-S can do USB 3.0 !

That is the intent, at this point the unit is still hooked to a windows machine. Wanted to make sure the dongle converter worked before migrating to the iMac. Most likely will make the transition this coming weekend.

Feb 05, 2013 at 07:49 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Old Drobo-S can do USB 3.0 !

I guess that good since you need to resort to such methods

Feb 05, 2013 at 08:28 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Old Drobo-S can do USB 3.0 !

The rest of the story. Moved the drobo-s and connected it to the iMac using the dongle above. Drobo dashboard on iMac does not see it. Reconnected via USB 2 and the dashboard now see's it. Formated to HFS+. Tested write speeds and got an underwhelming 33MB/sec - geez! Shut it down, reconnected via the dongle and unlike the windows machine, the dashboard still does not see it BUT, the iMac does!. Tested write speeds, now getting approx 85MB/sec. Not quite 3 times faster but close enough. Setup and pointed Time machine to a sparsebundle on the drobo-s and its currently doing its thing.

So what has this done?
1. My old drobo-s (ver 1) that does not have USB 3 is now working with the iMac which does not support eSata but via the dongle is working at USB 3.0 speeds which are close to eSata.
2. Yet to be determined, if operating this unit without the dashboard has complications on the iMac
3. My Drobo 5D thunderbolt is free for managing photos, etc...

Feb 10, 2013 at 07:06 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Old Drobo-S can do USB 3.0 !

You said this is for backup so it seems transfer speed is more or less irrelevant. Seems it would be better to have the dashboard, since slower speeds should have no meaningful impact.

Feb 10, 2013 at 09:02 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Old Drobo-S can do USB 3.0 !

You are correct, its more of an exercise to see what can and can't be done. Haven't totally come to grips on all the uses the s unit is going to be used for. Again, if it becomes just backup then I'll most likely revert it to usb 2.

Feb 10, 2013 at 09:26 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.