Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

UgashikBob
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

Peregrine Falcon taken about 100 yards upstream from our home.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    400mm    f/10.0    1/1250s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Feb 07, 2013 at 06:32 AM · View previous versions

Feb 03, 2013 at 11:55 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

Impressive IF capture of an extremely fast falcon Bob.

Kirk

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:03 AM
gsmani
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

great shot Bob

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:04 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

Nice grab Bob.

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:41 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

awesome! how is the weather up there?

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:27 AM
mallardg500
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

Stunning shot!!

Phoo

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:36 AM
UgashikBob
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

bc:
We went tropical the day after Christmas and its been in the 20's & 30's every since. Very strange for January and February. Long range is saying more of the same. Maybe the waterfowl will be back early.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:08 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

Wonderful shot !

Birdie

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:10 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

Now that is a great in your face shot...
Eric

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:17 AM
UgashikBob
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

I was very fortunate as I was walking upstream to check out a fox den and this guy happened to come by and check me out. There is a pair in the area but it is a rarity to see them. Thank you for your comments.

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

nicely done Bob

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:40 AM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

Always a good find!

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:52 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

Nice one Bob, well done.
David

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:26 PM
UgashikBob
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

Sorry for the late update but I have received a note from a local bird expert with US Fish & Wildlife and it seems I incorrectly identified an immature Gyrfalcon. After spending a lot of time looking at photos on the net I agree. Would welcome any other comments on the ID.

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:30 AM
Lil Judd
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

Very nice shot

Lil

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:28 AM
Oldraven
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

Can't make a call from experience because I've never seen a Gyr, but I read the length of this bird's primaries on the left wing as 9>8>10>7 and that's the formula for Gyrfalcons. Peregrine primary length follows the formula 9>10>8>7.

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:00 AM
UgashikBob
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

OR:
Are you reading primary feathers lengths as a comparitve measurement? Excellent info. Is that documented anywhere? We are still trying to sort out the adult/immature issue. One bird book I have says the blue/gray feet are a immature trait and another says the blue/gray bill is a adult thing. Was told the easy way to tell them from a Peregrine is the yellow coloration around the eye/beak area on a Peregrine. Thanks for the info.

Feb 07, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Oldraven
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

UgashikBob wrote:
OR:
Are you reading primary feathers lengths as a comparitve measurement? Excellent info. Is that documented anywhere? We are still trying to sort out the adult/immature issue. One bird book I have says the blue/gray feet are a immature trait and another says the blue/gray bill is a adult thing. Was told the easy way to tell them from a Peregrine is the yellow coloration around the eye/beak area on a Peregrine. Thanks for the info.

Yes, the info above pertains to the relative length of the 4 outermost primaries...sorry I wasn't clear there. Re documentation: many years ago raptor ID was my day job and I'm most comfortable when I can draw upon first hand experience, but some things, as here, are out of my experience. Also I have forgotten a lot , and the database is constantly growing and changing, so I lean ever more heavily on the literature available. In this case I went first to an old standby: Handbook of North American Birds. Volumes 4 & 5 cover raptors and the info above is cited on p. 1 of the Gyrfalcon chapter (vol 5). But like me this is old material, so I also like to check in with the Cornell Labratory of Orthnithology, which I use as my primary reference for current data. The formula under discussion is also cited there. (Cornell/AOU is a subscription service...about $35 or $40 for one year, IIRC). I access it at https://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna.

As for bill, cere, & foot coloration: Both falcons show considerable variation by geography, overall color group, and age. The literature is not providing me an easy way to distinguish all individuals using only these characteristics, and I lack the field experience to make an informed statement pro or con. That's why I offered the feather length formula: reading it in flight is more challenging than having a bird in hand, but there is no mention of variabilty across species.

Feb 07, 2013 at 04:36 PM
UgashikBob
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Peregrin Falcon/Gyrfalcon?

OR:
Excellent info and sources. We live on the border of the Alaska Peninsula Wildlife Refuge and I have been in touch with one of there people to help ID this bird and they agree with you. Been a real educational experience for me. Thank you for your help
Bob

Feb 07, 2013 at 06:47 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password