Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

dolina
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

Would anyone have an idea which Legcoat or Wraps will fit a Gitzo GM5561T monopod?

Also which do you prefer to use the Legcoat or the Legcoat Wraps?

Feb 03, 2013 at 11:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

well, if you are going to do the big lens/body/tripod legs over the shoulder carry I think you might find the limiting factor will be your shoulder as legs dig in depending on time in carry. legcoat is rather thin.

Feb 04, 2013 at 10:04 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #3 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

sjms wrote:
well, if you are going to do the big lens/body/tripod legs over the shoulder carry I think you might find the limiting factor will be your shoulder as legs dig in depending on time in carry. legcoat is rather thin.

May I ask, what you use instead? As of now my shoulder's killing me when I carry my gear around.

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:14 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/op-tech-tripod-leg-wraps.html

on a RRS TVC-33. and the amount of shoulder wear will depend on the individual

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:06 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

Leg wraps are rather good. I always have a couple of very small towels in my bag. Mainly because of the heat and humidity here in Thailand. A small towel on your shoulder and then the leg wraps will make it good when you carry a heavy lens/tripod/monopod on your shoulder

Feb 06, 2013 at 02:20 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #6 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

sjms wrote:
http://www.naturescapes.net/store/op-tech-tripod-leg-wraps.html

on a RRS TVC-33. and the amount of shoulder wear will depend on the individual

I was actually looking at this as well. The LegCoat/Wraps I am planning to buy would be plain black to match my lens and tripod.

How do you like it? Does the neoprene shred over time?

Feb 08, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

i'm using pool noodles that I taped around tightly using duct tape.

Feb 09, 2013 at 12:32 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #8 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

Sunny Sra wrote:
i'm using pool noodles that I taped around tightly using duct tape.

Would it require me to disassemble the tripod?

Feb 09, 2013 at 01:08 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

dolina wrote:
I was actually looking at this as well. The LegCoat/Wraps I am planning to buy would be plain black to match my lens and tripod.

that is fabric over pipe insulation (a polyethylene type foam). I have moved this from another set of legs. it lasts a real long time as in years. I just put some double-sided tape on the legs to anchor it down the foam which is split down its length and snug the fabric over it.

Feb 09, 2013 at 02:11 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

dolina wrote:
Would it require me to disassemble the tripod?

No. The pool noodle has a slit on 1 side. If it doesn't, just use a blade to make a slit and slide it onto the tripod. Then just tape it.

Feb 09, 2013 at 02:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

Here is 1 more use
http://larryscheapshots.com/?p=1929

Feb 09, 2013 at 02:32 AM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.1 #12 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

Low budget. Foam pipe insulation and duct tape. I use it on my Gitzo Series 3 alloy legs and it works great.

Feb 09, 2013 at 08:53 AM
Strobo
• •
p.1 #13 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

dolina wrote:

They're not made of neoprene. That would have been a better choice, but Optech chose to use plain vanilla foam pipe insulation, exactly like that you can get at a hardware store for one or two dollars. The foam is quite thick - it adds a lot of bulk and doesn't stay in place, despite the double-sided tape included in the kit. And speaking of their tape, Optech advertises it as being easily removable. It isn't. You can't peel it off, you have to use adhesive remover and scrape it off.

IMO the only good thing about the Optech wraps are the cordura socks. The foam Optech uses is ill-suited to the task. A more suitable and durable choice would have been a higher density foam that's half the thickness of their pipe insulation.

Feb 09, 2013 at 06:35 PM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #14 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

Strobo wrote:
They're not made of neoprene. That would have been a better choice, but Optech chose to use plain vanilla foam pipe insulation, exactly like that you can get at a hardware store for one or two dollars. The foam is quite thick - it adds a lot of bulk and doesn't stay in place, despite the double-sided tape included in the kit. And speaking of their tape, Optech advertises it as being easily removable. It isn't. You can't peel it off, you have to use adhesive remover and scrape it off.

IMO the only good thing about the Optech wraps
...Show more

Thank you for your opinion. I will avoid it then and check out pipe insulation.

Feb 10, 2013 at 02:44 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

yes it does stay in place if the user knows how to do it right. evidently I do. the set I have right now has been in use for 3 years now. the fabric cover does a good job protecting it. as to half thickness denser foam i'll defer to an opinion. I find it just right to not dig into my shoulder when carrying with a load on it. just remember it all about the user.

Feb 10, 2013 at 09:32 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

I use both Optechs and Leg Coats, and I also have some older Anne Laird leg covers if anyone remembers them. All the leg covers hold up well enough. Overall I prefer the Leg Coats the best. I only use two of the leg covers per tripod.

EBH

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:57 AM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #17 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

Or if you're special and in good grace with CPS you can flaunt one of their CPS mono-pod / tripod leg covers...they are a little skimpy on the foam but scream your professionalism

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:08 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

gpchase wrote:
Or if you're special and in good grace with CPS you can flaunt one of their CPS mono-pod / tripod leg covers...they are a little skimpy on the foam but scream your professionalism

Not really. Quite a few amateurs have all that CPS stuff. Of course amateurs sometimes have more and better gear than the pros.

EBH

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:16 AM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #19 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

EB-1 wrote:
Not really. Quite a few amateurs have all that CPS stuff. Of course amateurs sometimes have more and better gear than the pros.

EBH

I think you may have missed the tinge of sarcasm..

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:19 AM
TheBearman
• •
p.1 #20 · LegCoat or Wraps for GM5561T

No comments on Aquatech wraps?

Feb 11, 2013 at 03:12 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password