Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D600 Underexposing

lovemygsp

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · D600 Underexposing

Hi all,
I just got my my D600 a few days ago. It seems to be constantly underexposing when in aperture priority mode. I can fix it by uping the exposure comp to +1 but it seems pretty silly that I have to do that.

I've tried changing all kinds of setting. Including different metering and both auto iso and me changing it. I've even reset everything to make sure it wasn't some setting I changed unknowingly. It seems that the shutter speed is still too fast and its underexposing them. This is my first pro-level camera, I moved from a d5100, but I never had this problem with it. Is this an acceptable problem or should I have it looked at?

Feb 03, 2013 at 09:41 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #2 · D600 Underexposing

What is your metering mode? And what are you photographing that has this problem? Try to do a portrait in the shadows, whithout any highlight distractions, that seems an objective test-environement.

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:00 PM
lovemygsp

p.1 #3 · D600 Underexposing

Thanks for the reply. I think its me, not the camera.

I played around with setting and really analyzed the images and looked at histograms of manual vs aperture priority. I tend to overexpose a bit by preference. SO I think what is happening is that the D600 has such a good dynamic range its being smart and the human is being dumb. That tiny bump of extreme highlights that would get clipped by the d5100 are not on the d600 . So when it is metering it it says OH HEYYYY! Don't get rid of that small sliver of white, gotta underexpose.

Guess that will take some getting used to.

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:24 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password