Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which Other Lens (es) ? Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley

AFC168
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which Other Lens (es) ? Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley

Hi all,

I'm going on a family trip to Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, and Monument Valley in late March, early April. I have a Canon 5D III and a Canon 1D IV as well as a 24-70 II and 70-200 II.

What other lenses would you recommend or can I get by with just the two?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:11 PM
scottinash
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which Other Lens (es) ? Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley

I think these lens will be fine for your trip; however, if you are taking one of the standard quick moving tours of Antelope Slot pack the fastest lens you have available and with IS if possible. I noticed some folks were trying to set up with tripods but with the large groups bunching up that seemed to cause issues. I was using my 17-40 F4L and while I got some decent shots, I have way more blurry ones being that I was shooting handheld and trying to avoid people wandering around enjoying the views. Amazingly, most of my best shots of Antelope came from my iphone and Pro HDR app. The experience was fantastic though and I'd like to return some day via a photo tour.
Scott

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:28 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which Other Lens (es) ? Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley

I did Grand Canyon and Antelope with a similar setup last summer (1D IV/5DII/5D) and my stats were (# shots) at
Grand Canyon
368 - Zeiss 21mm
348 - Canon 100-400L
298 - Canon 28-70L
122 - Leica 70-210mm
126 - Leica 35-70
94 - Samyang 14mm

Antelope/Rattlesnake/Owl was mainly with the 21mm and 14mm. Although I wish I brought my 100-400 into Owl Canyon (as there were owls nesting). I shot Antelope with my two 5D's with 14mm on one and 21mm on other. That worked perfect. I did the Antelope/Rattlesnake/Owl photo tour with Carol Bigthumb and they did us right. Signing up for the normal Antelope tour would be an exercise of frustration - spend the extra $.

My lessons learned with GC is to shoot more mulit-shoots panos - and not just the typical horizontal pano but the ones that mimic large format perspectives.
Dave

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:43 PM
deepjay
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which Other Lens (es) ? Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley

Additional advice from another Dave.
Contact: www.navajotours.com for upper antelope tours (this is Carol Bigthumb), and www.lowerantelope.com for lower antelope. The extra $$$ are WELL worth it if you really want to do photography there.
Dave

Feb 03, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which Other Lens (es) ? Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley

I would do wider than 24mm for sure

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which Other Lens (es) ? Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley

A 'real' 24 is pretty dang wide, and I don't think you'll miss all that much with that lens. That said, there are certainly places in either section of Jackalope that could make good use of a 20 or even 17mm. You might consider renting one.

DO bring a tripod to Jackalope. At the 'Lower' section, a tripod gets you a 2 hour photo pass and the freedom to roam freely w/o the otherwise mandatory guide. You'll have time to appreciate the scenery and to make interesting images.

IMO, the 'Light Beams' mob scene in Upper Jackalope is not remotely worth the hassle. Go hike Buckskin or Waterholes instead....

Feb 04, 2013 at 01:38 AM
AFC168
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which Other Lens (es) ? Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley

Thanks for all the advice! Do you think it's worth it to buy or rent a Canon 14 L II? Or is a Canon 16-35 L II better?

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which Other Lens (es) ? Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Monument Valley

AFC168 wrote:
Thanks for all the advice! Do you think it's worth it to buy or rent a Canon 14 L II? Or is a Canon 16-35 L II better?

Define 'better.'

FWIW, some of my best pics of Jackalope were taken with an old 28mm Zuiko bolted to my APS-C Drebel. Whatever your FL, you will find plenty of compositions to shoot. People often have the notion that they 'must' have compete FL coverage from 2mm to 2000. This point of view might have some merit if you were going to shoot the canyon day after day for weeks on end. But for the average 1~2 hour tour, you'll never come close to exhausting the possibilities shooting the lenses you already have.

If you're set on adding a lens, I'd suggest a simple 17. It's wide enough to be fun, yet not quite as difficult to use as a 14. A 17 will 'get' all of Horseshoe Bend too. (If you visit HSB, try to arrive early or late in the day, and be sure to hike along the rim to get away from the 'default' viewpoint.)

Feb 04, 2013 at 06:17 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.