Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Alamere Falls at sunset

slam05

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alamere Falls at sunset

Alamere Falls is a "tidefall" (a waterfall that flows directly into the ocean) in Point Reyes about an hour north of San Francisco. I was there at sunset last night and it was a really nice night to be out there. Even though the sky mostly cleared in the afternoon, there were some thin clouds that stuck around and lit up nicely just after sunset. There was about a two minute period when the blue sky and red clouds mixed to create this amazing purple light. I've tried to capture that here. Comments/critiques welcome.

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alamere Falls at sunset

You got some very beautiful light and color there, but I'm wishing there was more to the top of the falls. Perhaps a wider lens, or a wider/taller crop? It just feels cut off somehow. I'm thinking a pano would have been a good choice here to include more ocean and more waterfalls.

Jo

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:30 PM
Matt Tilghman
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alamere Falls at sunset

Just beautiful! I can't believe I haven't made it there yet!

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:38 PM
scottinash
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alamere Falls at sunset

That's an amazing waterfall..great capture!
Scott

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:49 PM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alamere Falls at sunset

Simply beautiful. Nicely done.

Cheers,
Ed

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alamere Falls at sunset

Now that is a sweet looking waterfall. You did a really great job here. Jo makes a good suggestion about getting more at the top of the waterfall, I think that would make a good alternative composition, perhaps 4:5 format vertical so as to not get too much sky. But I do like how you composed this shot, getting the edge of the waterfall really in the viewers face and still getting some wonderful color in the sky.

Jim

Feb 04, 2013 at 03:15 PM
Fire_Photo62

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alamere Falls at sunset

I think the waterfall should be more soft looking making it more of a "moody" feel, calm.

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:18 PM
CDalessandro
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alamere Falls at sunset

Beautiful light...beautiful image!

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:32 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alamere Falls at sunset

Nice pastels and color reflecting from the falls.
Douglas

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:41 PM
slam05

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alamere Falls at sunset

Jo and Jim,

Thanks for your suggestions on alternative compositions. I did struggle with the composition a little and tried some alternatives but this was the one I liked best in the end. I realize it does feel a little cut off on the left top, but I liked how it makes the waterfall feel very close. In fact, I was only a few feet away from the falls since this was shot at 7mm on micro four thirds (14mm full frame equivalent), and I felt like that wide view did the best job of capturing the power of the falls.

Thanks for all the comments and feedback.

Feb 04, 2013 at 05:49 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password