34              37       38       end

Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Max10
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.33 #1 · p.33 #1 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

snapsy wrote:
Canon version of technique

1. With the camera mounted on a tripod, enter Live View and establish critical focus on a high-contrast subject over the center point. Exit Live View.

2. Set the lens to MF (Manual Focusing). Be careful not to jostle the focus ring when you move the switch - you don't want to alter the focus you established in step #1.

Will it be OK to swap steps 1 and 2? That means; 1) Set the lens to MF. 2) Manually focus in LV and then exit LV.

Am I missing something?

Feb 06, 2016 at 01:16 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.33 #2 · p.33 #2 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Why not AF in Live View?

Feb 06, 2016 at 02:19 PM
Max10
• • •
p.33 #3 · p.33 #3 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Jeff Donald wrote:
Why not AF in Live View?

I can get a correct focus manually in 10x LV. And I don't have to worry about disturbing the focus ring while changing from AF to MF.

Feb 06, 2016 at 02:29 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.33 #4 · p.33 #4 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Max10 wrote:
Will it be OK to swap steps 1 and 2? That means; 1) Set the lens to MF. 2) Manually focus in LV and then exit LV.

Am I missing something?

Nope, that'll work fine. I only suggest AF first for those who want to use CDAF in LV rather than having to manually focus in LV.

Feb 08, 2016 at 12:13 PM
Max10
• • •
p.33 #5 · p.33 #5 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Thanks snapsy

Feb 08, 2016 at 07:37 PM
SeattleBirdMan
• •
p.33 #6 · p.33 #6 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Has anyone does much experimenting to see how consistent their contrast detection focus is on their camera?

For example you do the normal dot tune method and get a range of -12 to 4 for a specific camera /lens combo. Then you do another contrast focus for the same lens/camera combo this time you might get -10 to 6. These are not too far off. However sometimes I have had the range shift 8 or more.

Has anyone else seen that before?

Feb 23, 2016 at 01:23 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.33 #7 · p.33 #7 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

SeattleBirdMan wrote:
Has anyone does much experimenting to see how consistent their contrast detection focus is on their camera?

For example you do the normal dot tune method and get a range of -12 to 4 for a specific camera /lens combo. Then you do another contrast focus for the same lens/camera combo this time you might get -10 to 6. These are not too far off. However sometimes I have had the range shift 8 or more.

Canon's contrast-detect precision is pretty good but there's still enough variance to significantly effect potential tuning. I generally MF in LV using a magnifying loupe when I DoTune. Roger did a precision test of CDAF as part of his PDAF precision tests - you can see the results here. In my experience, Nikon's CDAF has much worse precision than Canon - in fact Nikon's is so bad that on newer bodies like the D750/D810, PDAF is more consistent than their CDAF.

Feb 23, 2016 at 02:08 AM
SeattleBirdMan
• •
p.33 #8 · p.33 #8 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Thanks for the response Snapsy. I do use Canon cameras. Interesting suggestion to use manual focusing. I'd have to practice that. I'm not sure if I could be very accurate on manual focus even using 10x view.

Feb 23, 2016 at 02:11 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.33 #9 · p.33 #9 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I usually check the range three times. Usually, all agree. Sometimes one reading is significantly off but not reproducible.

SeattleBirdMan wrote:

Feb 23, 2016 at 07:21 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.33 #10 · p.33 #10 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

SeattleBirdMan wrote:

Yes, that's why I quit using the Dot Tune method. But I have Canon equipment. For Nikon, apparently, it works much better.

Feb 23, 2016 at 09:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgdg
• • • • •
p.33 #11 · p.33 #11 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Works great for all my Canon gear.
Definitely more consistent, cheaper, and portable compared to Focal. YMMV

Feb 23, 2016 at 09:46 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.33 #12 · p.33 #12 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Obviously, my mileage varies. FoCal is a pain to use, but since version 2.0 has been released, I have consistent, reliable MFA. Maybe it is just me. But most of my photography friends no longer use Dot Tune either. Of course, we all have Canon bodies. I wish Dot Tune was reliable (for me) because it is a simple method. Glad you're satisfied with Dot Tune.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:19 AM
svassh
• • •
p.33 #13 · p.33 #13 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Thanks Snapsy, bookmarked this a few months ago when it trickled to the top again. Got around to trying it today. Worked great for me with a 1Dx, 70-200 II, 85 1.8 and 50 1.8. All done in under 30 minutes. Would have taken me much longer with Focal. Not a knock against Focal as it does many other things also.

Mar 04, 2016 at 11:51 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.33 #14 · p.33 #14 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

snapsy wrote:
Roger did a precision test of CDAF as part of his PDAF precision tests - you can see the results here. In my experience, Nikon's CDAF has much worse precision than Canon - in fact Nikon's is so bad that on newer bodies like the D750/D810, PDAF is more consistent than their CDAF.

Wow, that is very surprising?! That just throw something I assumed about CDAF out the window.

Mar 04, 2016 at 12:05 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.33 #15 · p.33 #15 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Just tuned my 1Dx with a couple primes and additional 1.4x extender.
Repeated results are consistent. Results are sharp.

Mar 04, 2016 at 12:05 PM
svassh
• • •
p.33 #16 · p.33 #16 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

dgdg wrote:
Just tuned my 1Dx with a couple primes and additional 1.4x extender.
Repeated results are consistent. Results are sharp.

Thanks just reminded me I forgot to throw the 1.4x on the 70-200 II.

Mar 04, 2016 at 12:21 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.33 #17 · p.33 #17 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

svassh wrote:
Thanks just reminded me I forgot to throw the 1.4x on the 70-200 II.

My bare lenses fair quite well, but once I put on the 1.4x and 2x, whoooaa!

Mar 04, 2016 at 12:36 PM
pointbob
• • •
p.33 #18 · p.33 #18 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Dumb question. If you dot tune 3 lenses obviously they will have different settings. Does your camera (6d/70d) "remember" the settings automatically or do you have to set something up like a custom setting and trigger that each time you use a different lens.

Mar 04, 2016 at 12:50 PM
SeattleBirdMan
• •
p.33 #19 · p.33 #19 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

pointbob wrote:
Dumb question. If you dot tune 3 lenses obviously they will have different settings. Does your camera (6d/70d) "remember" the settings automatically or do you have to set something up like a custom setting and trigger that each time you use a different lens.

Yes, there is a setting to save adjustments for each lens or use the same adjustment for all lenses. Just make sure it is set appropriately.

Mar 04, 2016 at 12:52 PM
pointbob
• • •
p.33 #20 · p.33 #20 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

SeattleBirdMan wrote:
Yes, there is a setting to save adjustments for each lens or use the same adjustment for all lenses. Just make sure it is set appropriately.

Mar 04, 2016 at 12:55 PM
1       2       3              32      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              32      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.