Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              23      
       end

Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Jmadhavan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.24 #1 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I'm not sure whether this has asked before. I have recently acquired a Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art lens and I don't think its attaining critical focus. I have tried the dot-tune technique with my 70-200 and it has worked wonders. I am curious how the Sigma dock can be used with the Dot-tune technique. Do I simply enter the number obtained in the Dot-tune method into the Sigma Optimization Pro software and let it update the lens? Is there any advantage in doing it that way as opposed to optimizing the lens on the camera?

Thank you

Jas

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:07 PM
snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.24 #2 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I have a Sigma 50 and tuned it on my D800. I found an 11 AF-tune delta between MFD and infinity, which naturally can't be resolved with a single tune value in the body. So my solution was to use the Sigma dock and dial-in the appropriate Sigma-specific tune values to get the lens to focus properly at all distances, all anchored with a body tune value of zero (since we're going through the effort of using the dock might as well arrive at values that work with a body tune value of zero). As for the correlation between Sigma's tune values and Nikon's (or Canon's I guess), I didn't make an effort to see how they relate, but based on my resulting Sigma values they're definitely not a 1-to-1 correlation. For example, the 11-point body AF tune differential between MFD and infinity mapped to about a 7 tune differential on Sigma's dock. Here's what my copy is tuned to:

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.24 #3 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Hey Adam,

That's very cool.

I wonder, how long will it be until cameras can self-calibrate for specific lenses, across the entire variation of focal lengths (for zooms) and for subject distances from MFD to infinity (and beyond).

Probably not very long.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:11 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.24 #4 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

jcolwell wrote:
Hey Adam,

That's very cool.

I wonder, how long will it be until cameras can self-calibrate for specific lenses, across the entire variation of focal lengths (for zooms) and for subject distances from MFD to infinity (and beyond).

Probably not very long.

Canon recently filed a patent that does PDAF tuning using CDAF (Live View) methods, similar to how DotTune works except that the CDAF part is automated in their method (ie, the camera arrives at optimal focus using CDAF and calculates the PDAF tune from that). You can read their patent disclosure here

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:19 PM
Jmadhavan

p.24 #5 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Thanks Snapsy. I'm kind of a beginner here and don't fully understand all that you said and would be very grateful if you could please explain it in plain English. (Was never a Physics major and the "delta" stuff brings bad memories from math class from many years back!!) Sorry.

Jas

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:19 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.24 #6 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Jmadhavan wrote:
Thanks Snapsy. I'm kind of a beginner here and don't fully understand all that you said and would be very grateful if you could please explain it in plain English. (Was never a Physics major and the "delta" stuff brings bad memories from math class from many years back!!) Sorry.

Jas

Me neither The long and short of it is set your camera's AF tune value to zero and then use trial and error with Sigma's dock to arrive at the 4 distance-specific tune values to plug into Sigma's software.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:22 PM
cambyses
• •
p.24 #7 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Trouble with doing the calibration in the lens using the dock is when you want to use the lens on two different bodies. I am not sure what the best strategy would be in this case. Calibrate within the lens with one body (at different distances), and then just do MFA on another body (obviously using only one MFA value in case of Nikon)? And which body should go with which calibration method?

For example, we use our Sigma 35/1.4 on both D800 and D4. It seems to require a bit larger MFA adjustment in the case of D800 than D4. So I am thinking of using the dock and calibrating at different distances with D800. And then calibrate with D4, and hope that the per-distance adjustment done within the lens would not screw up AF accuracy too much with D4, so that it can still be adjusted satisfactorily using a single MFA value in D4.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

snapsy
• • • •
p.24 #8 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I agree, if your lens requires the dock for distance-specific tuning there's no great solution if you want to use the same copy on multiple bodies. However it may work out that once you tune on the dock for one camera you might get away with doing a body-only AF tune on the 2nd body, assuming the 4 distance-specific dock values maintain their relative relationship across bodies and only need the absolute base of the tune (body) adjusted to essentially shift the 4 dock values in unison for the 2nd body. Have you tried that? When I have time I'll try DotTuning my 50A on my D600 and see if the distance-specific dock values from the D800 hold their relationship.

Jun 25, 2014 at 02:15 AM
cambyses
• •
p.24 #9 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

snapsy wrote:
Have you tried that? When I have time I'll try DotTuning my 50A on my D600 and see if the distance-specific dock values from the D800 hold their relationship.

Not yet. But it has been on my to do list

Jun 25, 2014 at 03:50 AM
kennewcombe

p.24 #10 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I have tried the Dot Tune method on two Canon 7Ds but the +20 endpoint is always on solid. The start point is typically +4. This was found on both bodies and several Canon L lens. (300 f2.8 IS II, 300 f4 IS, 70-200 f4 IS) The method did work on the 70D which seemed to have a much tighter spread, typically +6 - +12 or so. I tried various distances with similar results. It seems the 7Ds have a very broad focus indicator spread with the upper end being non linear. The actual image sharpness though is much tighter than the focus indicator shows, similar to the 70D. A value of +20 on the 7D shows strong out of focus though the Green dot is still on solid. The correct AFMA value is about +10 usually on both 7Ds based on viewing the actual images. Has anyone experienced similar on the 7D?

Jul 08, 2014 at 09:41 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.24 #11 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I'm the Director of a large Photography Center and have done Dot.Tune on 7D's for perhaps a dozen members. I can't remember one that didn't Dot.Tune reasonably accurately. There is a procedure to Dot.Tune bodies that go off scale and perhaps you need to review the steps to assure your doing the adjustment properly.

Jul 08, 2014 at 10:30 PM
n8changus1aj

p.24 #12 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

AF misses the mark...and vice-versa.

Jul 09, 2014 at 03:00 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.24 #13 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

n8changus1aj wrote:
AF misses the mark...and vice-versa