1       2       3              22      
       24              37       38       end

Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.23 #1 · p.23 #1 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

snapsy:

First off, great solution and I thank you for it Noticed your answer above and it got me thinking. I have always hit the AF first, then gone into live view to fine adjust manually at 10x followed by flipping the switch to MF before performing the sequence of locating the two farthest AFMA points. You indicate "...generally AF is sufficient". Does this mean the live view portion is generally not required?

Matt

Mar 20, 2014 at 07:53 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.23 #2 · p.23 #2 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

schlotz wrote:
snapsy:

First off, great solution and I thank you for it Noticed your answer above and it got me thinking. I have always hit the AF first, then gone into live view to fine adjust manually at 10x followed by flipping the switch to MF before performing the sequence of locating the two farthest AFMA points. You indicate "...generally AF is sufficient". Does this mean the live view portion is generally not required?

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks. I meant that LV AF was generally sufficient for establishing the focus to DotTune against.

Mar 21, 2014 at 07:08 AM
werds
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.23 #3 · p.23 #3 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Amazing, will have to try this (so tagging with my comment). Odd enough I located this thread through a comment found on Amazon lol

Apr 16, 2014 at 08:14 AM
lnorton
• •
p.23 #4 · p.23 #4 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Thanks for this - worked great and didn't take long at all.

Apr 27, 2014 at 04:22 PM
B1air

p.23 #5 · p.23 #5 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Very cool. Thanks!

Apr 30, 2014 at 05:58 PM
timgriffin
• • •
p.23 #6 · p.23 #6 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I gave this a shot on a 7D that I picked up used. I noticed yesterday that after using AF that I had to bump the manual focus a bit and get the sharpest image using a Canon 400 5.6 lens. I took a couple of sample shot after doing the DotTune and both the closer shot and a further one look good. Small sample size but using about the same length as I was having some small issues with yesterday seems dead on. The DotTune number came out to -2 and +17 so I guess it's a 7.5 if I understand correctly?
I thought something was wrong when I kept going higher and higher on the + side! But it did work out in the end that +18 is where the dot finally started blinking and beeping.
Time will tell but so far it looks positive - thanks for the DotTune method!

May 04, 2014 at 02:37 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.23 #7 · p.23 #7 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

timgriffin wrote:
I gave this a shot on a 7D that I picked up used. I noticed yesterday that after using AF that I had to bump the manual focus a bit and get the sharpest image using a Canon 400 5.6 lens. I took a couple of sample shot after doing the DotTune and both the closer shot and a further one look good. Small sample size but using about the same length as I was having some small issues with yesterday seems dead on. The DotTune number came out to -2 and +17 so I guess it's a 7.5 if
...Show more

Yep, 7.5 (7 or 8) is the midpoint. On Canon bodies it takes a bit of patience at the outer tune range to sense a non-confirmation - the best strategy is to hold the AF for 5 seconds and also press the AF many times quickly and watching/listening for any lag in confirmation, both of which indicate a non-confirmed value. Thanks for the feedback.

May 05, 2014 at 09:23 AM
plover

p.23 #8 · p.23 #8 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Just tried this with my Canon 100mm L IS macro lens (on a 5D3). I tried it at 3 different distances:
0.5 mtr = -7 (+1 & -15)
1.0 mtr = -2 (+6 & -10)
2.0 mtr = -5.5 (+2 & -13)

I almost always use the lens at 0.5 mtrs or less so I guess -7 is the one to try!!!!
What was interesting is that in all cases the green dot confirmation was rock solid and quick at the furthest point (both ends of the scale) I had no flashing whatsoever, it was either solid dot right away or no dot whatsoever for at least 5 secs - is this normal or just a trait of a macro lens?

Thanks for all the time and effort you have put in 'Snapsy'

Edited on May 07, 2014 at 11:52 AM · View previous versions

May 07, 2014 at 10:40 AM
GammyKnee
• •
p.23 #9 · p.23 #9 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

@Snapsy

Just want to say thanks again for developing and sharing the dot-tune process. I just got a new 5DIII and am in the process of setting up MA values for all my lenses, which is no longer the huge chore it use to be.

May 07, 2014 at 10:50 AM
WarrenL
• • •
p.23 #10 · p.23 #10 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Snapsy

+1 for above post. Works great on both my 1DX bodies.

Thanks

Warren

May 18, 2014 at 01:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

megsdad

p.23 #11 · p.23 #11 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

This process salvaged our trip to Yellowstone last week, when we tried to use a new, used lens, for the first time in the park.

May 30, 2014 at 07:11 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.23 #12 · p.23 #12 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

megsdad wrote:
This process salvaged our trip to Yellowstone last week, when we tried to use a new, used lens, for the first time in the park.

Woohoo! Fred Miranda and Snapsy saved the day!

I haven't been to Yellowstone since I was a teen; gotta get back some day.

May 30, 2014 at 09:08 PM
stevephotog1

p.23 #13 · p.23 #13 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I think auto fine tune can be a slipper slope into hell...I've never had a problem...it's asking for one.

May 31, 2014 at 05:41 AM
keithreeder
• • • •
p.23 #14 · p.23 #14 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

stevephotog1 wrote:
I think auto fine tune can be a slipper slope into hell...I've never had a problem...it's asking for one.

Not if you only use it when it's needed...

May 31, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Jocce81

p.23 #15 · p.23 #15 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I tried this a couple of month ago. Thought I would try it again the other day, just to see if I would get the same result. (Better daylight/natural light in the summer )

Got very different results...

Tried it a couple of things and I think my main problem is actually seeing in Live View (Canon 5DMK3), even with max zoom, if it is critical focus when trying to manually focus.

Any tips and ideas about achiving critical focus?

/Jocce

Jun 17, 2014 at 02:34 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.23 #16 · p.23 #16 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Is that because of the light, your eyes, or in my case, both Try using a dark towel and drape it over your head and the camera. This helps me.

Jun 17, 2014 at 04:16 AM
Jocce81

p.23 #17 · p.23 #17 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

schlotz wrote:
Is that because of the light, your eyes, or in my case, both Try using a dark towel and drape it over your head and the camera. This helps me.

I will try that! Thanks!

/Jocce

Jun 17, 2014 at 04:26 AM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.23 #18 · p.23 #18 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I tried this with my new Fisheye on my 1DX's, it worked well... I usually use FoCal but thought I would try this for a quick and dirty AFMA.

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:52 AM
xecaoebrung8

[X]
p.23 #19 · p.23 #19 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

It's free, it's fast

Jun 21, 2014 at 04:14 AM
qbengnpre49

[X]
p.23 #20 · p.23 #20 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Interesting snapsy!

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:23 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.