Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              21      
       23              26       27       end

Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Jocce81

Upload & Sell: Off
p.22 #1 · p.22 #1 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

schlotz wrote:
Welcome to FM Jocce.

1. Yes the final adjustment will be manual using your eye to get the target as sharp as possible in Live view mode.
2. While you can do either I would suggest to use the light that you mostly shoot in. Studio or outdoor? Very important to have sufficient amount of light. Printed target using fine setting should be sufficient quality.
3. Not certain what camera you are using. I'm in the Canon camp and no, there is a bit of button pushing for each iteration. I did set AFMA as a selection in my top menu to
...Show more

Thanxs for the answer!

Would need daylight then! So have to wait untill the weekend

/Jocce

Mar 05, 2014 at 12:59 PM
schlotz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.22 #2 · p.22 #2 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Remember, the recommended distance of lens mm x 50. You can do less if what you shoot is always a certain distance otherwise stay close to the 50x. In my experience it doesn't have to be exactly 50x.

Mar 05, 2014 at 02:35 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.22 #3 · p.22 #3 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Jocce81 wrote:
2. Will a Halogen-Spotlight right on the target do, or do i need daylight?

Others have answered your questions but this needs special mention. I strongly recommend against shinning a light directly onto the target (at least not without any diffusion). This creates high contrast aberrations that can alter the tuning result.

Mar 05, 2014 at 03:21 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.22 #4 · p.22 #4 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

snapsy wrote:
Since your range between T and W is so tight you should get great results using the average of the two (+3 in your case).

Thanks everyone for the thank yous

Snapsy and Dgdg... thank you will do this.

Mar 06, 2014 at 10:13 AM
rdcny
• • •
p.22 #5 · p.22 #5 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Thanks

Mar 06, 2014 at 12:38 PM
lonestardiver

p.22 #6 · p.22 #6 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Nifty stuff...

Mar 16, 2014 at 04:00 AM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.22 #7 · p.22 #7 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

snapsy wrote:
FYI: After considerable testing I've created new AF target based on a cross-hatch of variable width lines. This new target produces much consistent results compared to the focus chart I used in the video. You can download the new target here.

Thanks!

Mar 17, 2014 at 03:48 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.22 #8 · p.22 #8 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

tagged for research...

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:13 PM
shirly526

p.22 #9 · p.22 #9 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

snapsy -- I have a question. I have done this method, and when I do it on the same lens and same body, at different times I have gotten a very different range every time... is this normal? Its driving me insane! please help!

Mar 20, 2014 at 01:14 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.22 #10 · p.22 #10 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

shirly526 wrote:
snapsy -- I have a question. I have done this method, and when I do it on the same lens and same body, at different times I have gotten a very different range every time... is this normal? Its driving me insane! please help!

It's not uncommon for the tuning value to vary based on focus distance and lighting temperature. Are either of these changing in between your tunes?

Mar 20, 2014 at 02:22 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

shirly526

p.22 #11 · p.22 #11 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

snapsy wrote:
It's not uncommon for the tuning value to vary based on focus distance and lighting temperature. Are either of these changing in between your tunes?

yes, i did it once bc I was having really bad front focus issues with my 50 1.4. I ended up sending it with my 6D to canon week and they said the body was according to spec, but the lens had an internal component out of place so they fixed it. When I got it back I tried it again, just to double check, and got a different range. The chart was up on the same wall, but maybe I was a bit off with the tripod and the lighting might have been slightly different, but it was done in the same space as the first time.

I just read another post here that someone had the same issue. I got frustrated with it today so I just gave up. I guess I could re-do it again tomorrow and see what I get. I figured I had to be doing something wrong!

Mar 20, 2014 at 02:30 AM
shirly526

p.22 #12 · p.22 #12 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

snapsy wrote:

forgot to add that I tested it twice after getting it back and those two times the range was diff (as well as different than before I sent it in)

Mar 20, 2014 at 02:34 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.22 #13 · p.22 #13 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

shirly526 wrote:
forgot to add that I tested it twice after getting it back and those two times the range was diff (as well as different than before I sent it in)

What I usually recommend when this happens is to DotTune 2-3 times using the same locked focus. This helps troubleshoot technique. If that produces the same midpoint each time (as it should), then try it again but refocused in LiveView and see if you still get the same midpoint. If you don't then the variation is due to variation in LV focus. If the midpoint variation is more than a few points I would then recommend using a 3D target like a lensalign, that way you'll be able to verify focus to an exact point and DOF, at which point the DotTune midpoint variance should go away.

Mar 20, 2014 at 02:39 AM
shirly526

p.22 #14 · p.22 #14 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

snapsy wrote:
What I usually recommend when this happens is to DotTune 2-3 times using the same locked focus. This helps troubleshoot technique. If that produces the same midpoint each time (as it should), then try it again but refocused in LiveView and see if you still get the same midpoint. If you don't then the variation is due to variation in LV focus. If the midpoint variation is more than a few points I would then recommend using a 3D target like a lensalign, that way you'll be able to verify focus to an exact point and DOF, at which point
...Show more

ok, just want to do a run through what I am doing in case there is something I am doing wrong too: so I set up the target (I have the new one you posted with the lines), set tripod 50x focal legth, select live view, 10x zoom, focus, switch to MF, and start testing. I do my testing looking through the view finder.

So once I do one set of ranges, repeat 2 more times, correct?

Mar 20, 2014 at 02:44 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.22 #15 · p.22 #15 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

shirly526 wrote:
ok, just want to do a run through what I am doing in case there is something I am doing wrong too: so I set up the target (I have the new one you posted with the lines), set tripod 50x focal legth, select live view, 10x zoom, focus, switch to MF, and start testing. I do my testing looking through the view finder.

So once I do one set of ranges, repeat 2 more times, correct?

Right. Also, the VF feedback on Canon bodies is more subtle than Nikon. You have to pay close attention for any pauses/delays/lags between half-pressing the shutter and getting a VF confirmation/beep. Any delay or lag in the confirmation means that tune value is not part of the confirmed range. Also be sure to hold the shutter for at least 5-seconds...and as you approach the edges of the confirmed range I would suggest half-pressing it multiple times just to be sure.

Mar 20, 2014 at 02:49 AM
shirly526

p.22 #16 · p.22 #16 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

snapsy wrote:
Right. Also, the VF feedback on Canon bodies is more subtle than Nikon. You have to pay close attention for any pauses/delays/lags between half-pressing the shutter and getting a VF confirmation/beep. Any delay or lag in the confirmation means that tune value is not part of the confirmed range. Also be sure to hold the shutter for at least 5-seconds...and as you approach the edges of the confirmed range I would suggest half-pressing it multiple times just to be sure.

ok. I have been doing the 5 seconds. What happens if it looses confirmation after 5 seconds? should I count it as a confirmed focus? or if I have 5 seconds of confirmation imminently stop and move to the next number?

Mar 20, 2014 at 02:53 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.22 #17 · p.22 #17 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

shirly526 wrote:
ok. I have been doing the 5 seconds. What happens if it looses confirmation after 5 seconds? should I count it as a confirmed focus? or if I have 5 seconds of confirmation imminently stop and move to the next number?

Any loss of confirmation, including double-flashes of the dot (and double beeps) disqualifies that tune value from the confirmed range, even if the dot was solid prior that blip for 5 or more seconds.

Mar 20, 2014 at 02:58 AM
shirly526

p.22 #18 · p.22 #18 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

snapsy wrote:
Any loss of confirmation, including double-flashes of the dot (and double beeps) disqualifies that tune value from the confirmed range, even if the dot was solid prior that blip for 5 or more seconds.

ok, this is going to sound dumb, so what if you use the 5 second rule and stop at 5 seconds bc you assume it was a confirmed focus and move to the next number, but at say 8 seconds it would had lost confirmation...? I might be getting a little obsessive here

last question, for the first step of achieving focus in live view, is it better to use AF or MF for that? I have been using AF and then switching to MF for the testing portion.

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:11 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.22 #19 · p.22 #19 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

shirly526 wrote:
ok, this is going to sound dumb, so what if you use the 5 second rule and stop at 5 seconds bc you assume it was a confirmed focus and move to the next number, but at say 8 seconds it would had lost confirmation...? I might be getting a little obsessive here

last question, for the first step of achieving focus in live view, is it better to use AF or MF for that? I have been using AF and then switching to MF for the testing portion.

The 5 seconds is just a guideline. There is no maximum time for which you get a solid confirmation that the confirmation should be trusted over a non-confirmation feedback (double-flash or beep). You can hold it for 30 seconds and if you get a flash then it's not confirmed If you have a body+lens combo that is giving tricky/inconsistent midpoints then there is no harm using longer times, esp. at the fringes of the confirmation range.

Generally AF is sufficient. But there is variation in LV focus.

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:15 AM
shirly526

p.22 #20 · p.22 #20 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

snapsy wrote:
The 5 seconds is just a guideline. There is no maximum time for which you get a solid confirmation that the confirmation should be trusted over a non-confirmation feedback (double-flash or beep). You can hold it for 30 seconds and if you get a flash then it's not confirmed If you have a body+lens combo that is giving tricky/inconsistent midpoints then there is no harm using longer times, esp. at the fringes of the confirmation range.

Generally AF is sufficient. But there is variation in LV focus.

Thank you so much for clearing everything up! I will test again tomorrow and see if I get better results.

Mar 20, 2014 at 03:18 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password