Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              19      
       21              25       26       end

Archive 2013 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

snapsy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.20 #1 · p.20 #1 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

bushwacker wrote:
Ian & Snapsy:

That's what I am thinking the focus shift... like how do I compensate for focus shift if I set my lens at 1.4 then focus shifts around f2, f2.8 & f4.

By focusing the lens at the smaller aperture in LV during the DotTune procedure. Since the VF confirmation always performs its phase detection wide-open, the delta between the two will be incorporated into the DotTune result, thus you will have tuned for your smaller aperture.

Nov 24, 2013 at 03:06 PM
bushwacker
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.20 #2 · p.20 #2 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

snapsy wrote:
By focusing the lens at the smaller aperture in LV during the DotTune procedure. Since the VF confirmation always performs its phase detection wide-open, the delta between the two will be incorporated into the DotTune result, thus you will have tuned for your smaller aperture.

Ok thanks... I will do this today.

Nov 24, 2013 at 03:50 PM
dinkle

p.20 #3 · p.20 #3 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

question, during the video red boxes indicating special information for nikon users show up but I did;t hear it addressed in the video. Something to the effect that with nikon users do not set the body and lenses to manual.

I am not sure if Snapsy is still checking in with this thread but if he is I am just trying to figure out what this means to the process itself for a nikon body.

thanks

the dink

found it on another thread.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187638

definitely not have any luck at all with this method as of yet

Edited on Dec 04, 2013 at 04:32 PM · View previous versions

Dec 04, 2013 at 01:49 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.20 #4 · p.20 #4 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

dinkle wrote:
question, during the video red boxes indicating special information for nikon users show up but I did;t hear it addressed in the video. Something to the effect that with nikon users do not set the body and lenses to manual.

I am not sure if Snapsy is still checking in with this thread but if he is I am just trying to figure out what this means to the process itself for a nikon body.

thanks

the dink

For Nikon bodies the camera+lens must be left in AF mode while DotTuning because Nikon's firmware increases the "slop" of VF dot confirmation when in manual mode, which makes it much more difficult to tune to. More details can be found in my post about it on dpreview.

Dec 04, 2013 at 02:06 PM
dinkle

p.20 #5 · p.20 #5 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Hey thanks Snap, I am having no luck at all doing this with my 17-35mm f2.8 as of yet on my D600.

I do appreciate you putting this up and taking your time to do this.

I have to be doing something wrong, but not sure what it is

the dink

Dec 04, 2013 at 04:34 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.20 #6 · p.20 #6 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

dinkle wrote:
Hey thanks Snap, I am having no luck at all doing this with my 17-35mm f2.8 as of yet on my D600.

I do appreciate you putting this up and taking your time to do this.

I have to be doing something wrong, but not sure what it is

the dink

What problem are you having tuning your 17-35mm?

Dec 04, 2013 at 05:08 PM
dinkle

p.20 #7 · p.20 #7 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

not to take up too much of your time, I initially did the manual focus and then switched to changing over to af-on and leaving af on both the lens and body. I am getting the dot everywhere with very little difference in flickering etc it stays solid throughout -20 to +20 with manual focusing I was getting about +5 to beyond -20.

I switched to back focusing and the ae-l, af-l button is what you press to get the little meatball as it where to come up.

Like I said don't want to take up too much of your time and I am messing up somewhere

the dink

Dec 04, 2013 at 06:16 PM
dinkle

p.20 #8 · p.20 #8 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I just did my d800 with 24-70 and it took like 3 minutes no problem at all what I did notice on the d600 is when setting the af to on when you depress the shutter button nothing lights up at all.

I am def missing something

dink

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:10 PM
dinkle

p.20 #9 · p.20 #9 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I think I know what the problem is I am setting the AF to on but the lens is recomposing. (incorrect) lens is focusing motor is running

Edited on Dec 04, 2013 at 07:42 PM · View previous versions

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:18 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.20 #10 · p.20 #10 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

dinkle wrote:
...the lens is recomposing.

Can you explain what you mean by the lens is recomposing? Recomposing is normally something the photographer does by moving the camera in relation to the subjects.

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dinkle

p.20 #11 · p.20 #11 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

okay sorry , basically when I depress the shutter button nothing happens at all, I then push the ae-l button and all the focus points light up and I hear the lens moving to focus. I think this is wrong but not sure what is going on with d600 with d800 no problems at all.

sorry about the mis wording.

dink

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:42 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.20 #12 · p.20 #12 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

dinkle wrote:
okay sorry , basically when I depress the shutter button nothing happens at all, I then push the ae-l button and all the focus points light up and I hear the lens moving to focus.

Okay, it sounds like on this camera a custom function is enabled to move focusing from the shutter release to the AE-L button, what's called "back-button focusing." If you need help re-setting the focus function you might ask in the Nikon forums since we're Canonistas here.

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:46 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.20 #13 · p.20 #13 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

If it is any help, there is a nikon version of this thread over in that forum:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187638/0

Dec 04, 2013 at 07:50 PM
dinkle

p.20 #14 · p.20 #14 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

oh okay hey thanks lol....didn't know you guys were such a nice bunch. lol

something is off thats for sure

the dink

Dec 04, 2013 at 08:20 PM
capt3450
• •
p.20 #15 · p.20 #15 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Snapy,

Do you have Microadjust's dot-tune write up for Sony A7(r)? It seem I read somewhere that you got one of new FF Sony.

-capt3450

Dec 06, 2013 at 06:43 PM
jasoninak
• •
p.20 #16 · p.20 #16 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I just did this with my 400/5.6 and as it turns out, I just need lots of practice with that lens.

Nice and easy process. Thanks, snapsy!

Dec 07, 2013 at 02:33 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.20 #17 · p.20 #17 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Fred,
Can this become a "sticky"?
Dan

Dec 07, 2013 at 03:56 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.20 #18 · p.20 #18 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

capt3450 wrote:
Snapy,

Do you have Microadjust's dot-tune write up for Sony A7(r)? It seem I read somewhere that you got one of new FF Sony.

-capt3450

ok i have to admit im confused by this question

both the A7 and A7r focus off the sensor so surely they shouldnt need any micro adjust ?
and the A7r lacks the on chip Phase detect of the standard A7 so as its Contrast detect then I cant see how it would need any form of MA .

or am i completely wrong here ?

Dec 07, 2013 at 04:55 PM
ryn996

p.20 #19 · p.20 #19 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I did it for my 24-105 on my 5D3. I got an average of -1 for the wide end (I choose 35mm) and the same for 105mm. I guess that is a good thing?

Dec 09, 2013 at 05:45 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.20 #20 · p.20 #20 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

ryn996 wrote:
I did it for my 24-105 on my 5D3. I got an average of -1 for the wide end (I choose 35mm) and the same for 105mm. I guess that is a good thing?

When tuning a zoom on a 5D3/1DX/6D you have to use *only* the extreme ends of the zoom (24 and 105 in your case), otherwise the camera will interpolate the effective tune value for the in-between focal length based on both the wide+tele tune values, which will yield unpredictable results. This applies to any tuning method (not just DotTune).

Dec 09, 2013 at 06:05 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password