New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
       19              37       38       end

Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Todd Moon

Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

That's a 6D thread, so it only contains software for the 6D.

Aug 14, 2013 at 03:36 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I probably need to find a teenager to help me with this, haha.

Aug 14, 2013 at 03:57 PM
Todd Moon

p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Unless you really want all of the features of ML, you can just do the manual Dot Tune technique. The only time it doesn't work is if the AFMA value your lens needs is more than about 14 away from zero, because beyond that you won't be able to find the upper or lower limit of the range and the technique fails. Just watch the YouTube video and you can try the technique within 5 minutes.

Aug 14, 2013 at 04:03 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

There is the 7D 2.0.3 ML patched and modules enabled which has AFMA

Aug 14, 2013 at 04:12 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Todd, probably'll just end up offering to pay you well for telephonic guidance through the non-navigable marshy maze confronting me. "Magic Lantern menu..." WTF?
Luddite technophobes like me are outrageously happy if the fax goes through, or the Coke comes out of the machine...this is like asking a chipmunk to design a spacecraft

Aug 14, 2013 at 09:14 PM
Todd Moon

p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Sorry, you're on your own! Installing custom firmware on your camera always has a chance of destroying it. I don't want to be involved in anyone else's attempt to install it. Especially since it's not even an official version yet.

I recommend you don't try to install it until a stable release comes out. Right now it's not even an alpha version, let alone a beta or stable release.

Aug 15, 2013 at 02:04 PM
WrightImage
• •
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

I must be brain dead here because I've Dot tuned my 400 5.6L on my 7d and a friends 70-200 2.8 on her 5dII but I'm trying to tune my 60 2.8 macro ef-s and my 10-22 efs lens on my 7d and after getting critical focus in live view I go out of live view and then flip the lens to manual focus and for the life of me with the back button focus (af-on) pushed I cannot get any kind of green dot confirmation at all. Flip to af on the lens and it works like it should! I'm lost here, am I missing a step? I need another beer HELP...

Aug 22, 2013 at 07:41 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

try setting the shutter button for focusing and use that. Might be a programming quirk.

Aug 23, 2013 at 07:58 AM
WrightImage
• •
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

dgdg, tried that also and didnt work either. Slapped my 400 back on the 7d this morning and dont get the green focus light with it now! Ive either got some setting off or I have a camera problem

Aug 23, 2013 at 09:29 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

What lighting conditions should I do this in? I notice AF can vary depending on the type and amount of light available.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

boingyman wrote:
What lighting conditions should I do this in? I notice AF can vary depending on the type and amount of light available.

The brighter the better.

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:30 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Thanks Brian. I may give it a try in my backyard.

Aug 23, 2013 at 04:07 PM
BarryAllen

p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Thanks, I used this method to dial in my Bower 35mm f/1.4. The focus dot is quite accurate now.

Aug 25, 2013 at 04:38 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

jmvdigital wrote:
You will only get consistent tunes values (-4, -4, -4) if you don't touch the camera at all. The second you move it a tiny bit or refocus, you now have a new tune value. How do you know if the single tune value you achieved on your only focus attempt at the dead center of the target is best value when it changes a little bit every time you refocus or point the camera at a different view of the SAME target.

I still say that a range of tune values should be taken and averaged.

I just re-checked my results and you are right, changing the light levels (all in the day though... just noon vs. afternoon) or slight movement in camera changes the results completely.

This is what I conclude: phase detect AF can never be as accurate as contrast based AF detection.

Aug 28, 2013 at 02:29 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Todd Moon wrote:
To register the lens manually just go to the custom function and press the Q button to register it. (The screen will say "[Q] Register.") This opens the MFA setting screen and you just hit Set to back out. You don't need to actually change anything. You will know it worked if the previous screen now says "[Q] Change".

I don't understand this. What custom function? The ones in Canon menu?

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:44 AM
Todd Moon

p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

thw2 wrote
I don't understand this. What custom function? The ones in Canon menu?

Yes, the Canon Custom Function menu where you would normally set the AFMA for a lens.

Sep 04, 2013 at 08:15 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
p.18 #17 · p.18 #17 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

tag

Sep 04, 2013 at 11:07 PM
thw2
• • • •
p.18 #18 · p.18 #18 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Todd Moon wrote:
Yes, the Canon Custom Function menu where you would normally set the AFMA for a lens.

OK. I now know what you mean. However, I must add that registering the lens (even if one goes all the way to key in the serial number of the lens under AFMA) is NOT enough to overcome the bug that prevents the dot tune procedure from running properly.

The solution is to first arbitrarily enter a number apart from 0 for AF correction before running the dot tune sub-routine. I got this after poring through the threads in Magic Lantern forum.

I also realize the ML Dot Tune procedure produces repeatable results under different light conditions

Sep 05, 2013 at 01:08 AM
Todd Moon

p.18 #19 · p.18 #19 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

thw2 wrote:
registering the lens (even if one goes all the way to key in the serial number of the lens under AFMA) is NOT enough to overcome the bug that prevents the dot tune procedure from running properly.

The solution is to first arbitrarily enter a number apart from 0 for AF correction before running the dot tune sub-routine.

I calibrated at least nine lenses without doing that. I only choose an arbitrary value other than zero on the first lens. When that worked I tried registering just a zero since I like to experiment and figure out the minimum required to make something work. That also worked, and then I repeated that at least 8 more times.

Sep 05, 2013 at 01:32 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.18 #20 · p.18 #20 · Dot-Tune: Autofocus Fine Tuning in under 5 minutes

Todd Moon wrote:
I calibrated at least nine lenses without doing that. I only choose an arbitrary value other than zero on the first lens. When that worked I tried registering just a zero since I like to experiment and figure out the minimum required to make something work. That also worked, and then I repeated that at least 8 more times.

Wow, interesting. I tested mine on 6D. Was yours done on 6D too? Also, have you previously tried to AF calibrate all those lenses manually on the same camera body? I am just wondering if a hidden list of calibrated lenses resides somewhere in the camera memory...

My 6D is new and the two zoom lenses that couldn't work (24-105 f/4 IS and 70-200 f/4 IS) without the arbitrary assignment of AF value were never calibrated on the 6D.

Sep 05, 2013 at 01:53 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.