Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Lovin' me some D1X

DennisC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lovin' me some D1X

I know there are a few other aberrant souls who love this ol' beast. Feel free to share your images and talk about why you still shoot with the D1X.

Me? I love the "unlimited" flash sync, the rich color, the skin tones, and...?...skin..."texture?". For the life of me, I can't reproduce the skin tones and texture (if that's the right word) with my D3s. I welcome any advice in this regard.

A buddy calls me a Luddite. I guess he has a point

Edited on Nov 05, 2013 at 12:14 PM · View previous versions

Feb 03, 2013 at 01:50 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lovin' me some D1X

Nice shots.

I just picked one up w/ 3 batteries and charger for cheap to play around with.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:08 PM
RKB58

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lovin' me some D1X

Good shots!

I got a D1x with buffer upgrade some years ago when my D2Hs was stolen and I did not have a lot of spare cash to replace it. I needed high ISO capability for indoor sports. Doing a little research, I concluded that the D1x shooting raw with manual WB was the best alternative for well under $500 at the time. This was the pre-D700 era.

A little later, I considered replacing mine with a D2x that a friend offered me for a reasonable price. Tried both for a week or so, but kept the D1x! (remember the need for high ISO) Later, as technology (and my finances) improved, I replaced the D1x with a D90, and now FX. Still have the D1x as I kept it for a backup.

The D1x was an underrated camera, IMO. I liked the D1x raw files better than D200 files. The poor auto white balance and battery did make using the D1x more of a chore to use than the next generation of cameras, but I don't think the subsequent generation really improved image quality. Different story when the D3/D300 became available, though.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:37 PM
RKB58

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lovin' me some D1X

Dennis, how did you flash sync the BBall shots at 1/640? Looks like you have off camera strobes mounted high in the Gym?

I continue to struggle to shoot high school BBall with ambient light and now FX cameras. Used to use 1/320 with the D1x and a fast 50mm, but I think really 1/640 is better, wish I go higher. Current setup is an 85/1.8AFS in front of a D3s or D600, 1/640@f2.5, ISO auto, too often around 8-10000 for most shots.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DennisC
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lovin' me some D1X

For this particular game, I had one AB800 in the corner behind me, aimed toward the ceiling above the key. Triggered with an RP JrX. With the RPs, I can sync up to...[failing memory]...I believe it is 1/1250. With a sync cord? 1/16,000! Schweet, huh?

Thanks for stoppin' by!

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:58 PM
RKB58

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lovin' me some D1X

Cool! I had sort of forgotten that the shutter is "electronic" above 1/500 if memory serves.

I actually put my D1x batteries on refresh/charge a couple of days ago, was sort of planning to see the difference between the D1x and D600.

Assuming you shoot raw. I had settled on the 10MP NX raw conversion vs the 6, which do you like?

Feb 03, 2013 at 03:17 PM
DennisC
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lovin' me some D1X

Thus far for indoor sports, I've shot JPEG so I can get more images on the card. The baseball player was NEF; however, even tho' I'm using the Li-ion conversion hack for batteries, and it really works great, the cold weather killed the battery pretty quickly and I had to finish the shoot with my D3s.

I do want to play around more with NEF, tho'.

Feb 03, 2013 at 04:10 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password