Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Div II Baseball

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Div II Baseball

Occasional lurker here.

From today's Georgia Regents (GRU, formerly Augusta State) Carson Newman game.

Appreciate anyone's thoughts, PM me if not appropriate question for board.

I must confess I moved the ball back into the cropped frame in #2.

Thanks for looking,

Bob

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:47 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Div II Baseball

IMHO, #2 was a bunt, it is totally unrealistic with the ball 'placed' back where you put it.

Guy

Feb 03, 2013 at 01:14 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Div II Baseball

Guy,

Thanks for your observation - you are correct on all counts - ball was further out on first base side of mound. In this case I stepped over the line letting aesthetics override reality. Lesson learned

Thanks,

Bob

Unaltered version...

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:45 AM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Div II Baseball

I'm gonna respectfully disagree with Guy on this. On any bunt, the ball can come off the bat in countless ways. In the case of your altered version, the new ball position as it relates to the batter's body position is believable enough for me.

The only other issue here is whether or not you should alter the shot in the first place, something that's pretty much determined by the photo's intended use.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:03 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Div II Baseball

Bob....I agree with Tom on his comment. Also it looks like you may be over processing the shots a bit. On the first shot with the pitchers face....it looks like a combination of the dodge tool and over sharpening there.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Div II Baseball

Tom D & Frank,

Thanks for your views re bunt and ball position. If I can digress, when is it appropriate to make such an adjustment (assuming it is plausible) for sports photos?

And yes, I have seldom met an image I could not over-work. For reference, here is a less extreme crop, reprocessed in ACR rather than LR4 (actually first I have tried this and ACR seems to perform better on this machine although I know the engine is the same) - better?

Thanks for your time and patience,

Bob

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:09 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Div II Baseball

I guess from a personal standpoint you can Photoshop to your hearts content. If you ever want to shoot as a photojournalist, however, you will quickly find yourself out of work and blackballed if you Photoshop balls or other things into or out of place like you've done here.

And that takes me to my personal take on these things. This is a photography forum. We're all photographers to some degree...hobbyists, semi-pros, full-time pros...the whole gamut. I'd say post your best photography work here and if you want to make Photoshopping photos your thing, post those on other forums. To some degree, I can't help but think with images like the one here where you've moved the ball...what's the point? If it's a great sports image it will stand on its own without needing Photoshop.

Finally, I didn't really see the dodging/sharpening issues of the first pitcher image you posted, but they're glaringly obvious in the re-post. It's just way overdone. Again, let your photography speak for itself and stand on its own merit. Anyone can click a filter or feature in Photoshop. Not everyone can capture great sports action.

Hope that gives you something to think about. Good luck.

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Div II Baseball

Scott Sewell wrote:
I guess from a personal standpoint you can Photoshop to your hearts content. If you ever want to shoot as a photojournalist, however, you will quickly find yourself out of work and blackballed if you Photoshop balls or other things into or out of place like you've done here.

And that takes me to my personal take on these things. This is a photography forum. We're all photographers to some degree...hobbyists, semi-pros, full-time pros...the whole gamut. I'd say post your best photography work here and if you want to make Photoshopping photos your thing, post those on other forums. To
...Show more

Scott,

Thanks for your thoughts and advice - I'll keep them in mind.

Bob

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:33 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Div II Baseball

To be honest, I find this whole thread perplexing. The photos, the edits, the discussion... it's all bizarre...

Feb 03, 2013 at 07:40 PM
SkyHawk
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Div II Baseball

P Alesse wrote:
To be honest, I find this whole thread perplexing. The photos, the edits, the discussion... it's all bizarre...

I agree.

Feb 17, 2013 at 07:07 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.