Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Photo corruption problems...

HoldenMan
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo corruption problems...

Ok, so over the years I've had a bunch of photos come up like this: (varying extents and banding, but all the same sort of thing)

http://flic.kr/p/dRBKtA

These can occur on hard drives that don't report any faults in testing, and have occurred to a lot of images over time. Any idea why? So far I haven't found any software successful in recovery.

Any idea what's going on, and any tips on ensuring that I don't unintentionally copy these corrupt files in my backup process?

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:35 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo corruption problems...

Data errors can occur at random on a hard drive without the hard drive being physically defective - but not often.

More likely the image data has been corrupted during a transfer from one device to another. The cause could be a borderline storage device or card, a borderline cable, interference of some sort during the copy, incompatibility between a specific card and a specific reader, etc.

Check to see if the main image data is intact or not, and separately check to see if the image preview data is intact or not. With an appropriate utility you might be able to extract a usable copy of the built-in preview image.

I use a program called image verifier that applies (and then scraps) a DNG conversion as non-destructive (read-only) test of image data validity. It shows up problem or suspect image files and then I can hunt down previous backups for a better quality image file.

There is almost no practical way of preventing defective images from getting into the automated backup process but you can at least try to find them before they ripple right through the historic backups of backups of backups. You do need to have multiple levels of backups or at the very least multiple discrete backups taken at different times so that the older ones are not influenced by anything that happened on the computer more recently.

In Lr I even created a folder for suspect files and that ensured that I always knew which ones to watch out for. Some of my old archives are in storage and not accessible to me at present but I still know which images I need to find when they are accessible.

- Alan

Feb 03, 2013 at 01:48 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo corruption problems...

I would guess it's a bad memory card. Or the transfer from the memory card to your PC

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:43 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.