Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon 40mm pancake on Sony Nex7 won't focus with adapter

Ray Still
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 40mm pancake on Sony Nex7 won't focus with adapter

Ok guys have to ask not sure what the deal is if my Canon 40mm panacake needs the lens firmware update or what but I can not get it to focus on the Sony Nex 7 when using the Fotodiox Pro Lens Mount Adapter w Aperture Iris
My Canon 17-40, 24-70, 50mm and 100mm L Macro all work great with manual focus on the Nex7 the 40 panacake was the lens I was really looking forward to using on the Nex. Are STM lens not compatible or
Thanks for any suggestions feedback

Ray Still

Feb 02, 2013 at 11:05 PM
XsigmaSD
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 40mm pancake on Sony Nex7 won't focus with adapter

Hmmm... that bites.
I'm guessing that the problem is that the 40mm is "focus by wire" meaning it needs power even to manually focus, like the 85L. Apparently the Fotodiox isn't supplying power to the focus motor.

Feb 03, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Ray Still
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 40mm pancake on Sony Nex7 won't focus with adapter

Thank you for the reply I appreciate it I guess one gets what they pay for with adapters I'm sure the Metabones adapter would probably work great with the 40 pancake

Ray Still

Feb 03, 2013 at 12:55 AM
john_edwards
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 40mm pancake on Sony Nex7 won't focus with adapter

I can fill you in on the Metabones in two days as I cashed in some points for the 40 pancake. Nex 5N not 7 though.

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ray Still
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 40mm pancake on Sony Nex7 won't focus with adapter

That would be great John thank you are you using the speed booster or regular adapter
Thanks again
Ray Still

Feb 03, 2013 at 11:55 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 40mm pancake on Sony Nex7 won't focus with adapter

Nope, not on the regular Metabones. Not sure if its a lens thing or if Metabones would need to do an update on the adapter. I do know that some lenses will work and some won't. The only one I have left that does is the 70-300L. Aperture works as advertised though.
That 40 works pretty darn quick on the 1Ds2.

Feb 06, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Oldraven
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 40mm pancake on Sony Nex7 won't focus with adapter

john_edwards wrote:
Nope, not on the regular Metabones. Not sure if its a lens thing or if Metabones would need to do an update on the adapter. I do know that some lenses will work and some won't. The only one I have left that does is the 70-300L. Aperture works as advertised though.
That 40 works pretty darn quick on the 1Ds2.

Regarding the metabones + EF 40/f2.8 STM: this combo works fine for me on both a 7 and a 5N. My adapter is the original (and a pretty old one at that). I did just update the firmware on the 40, and that's the only thing I can think of that might account for different experience here.

Feb 17, 2013 at 05:41 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password