Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Art gallery sales?

kinconorb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Art gallery sales?

I know some of you sell your photos. I'm just wondering how art gallery sales work, how would or how should I go about trying to get a local art gallery to display my work.

I have a bunch of photos of local landmarks - that I feel would sell. The area where most of these photos were taken has a number of very well to do residents so there's a decent market for new and original work. Should I just visit the gallery in person with my portfolio and see if they're interested in my work? Also would I need to pay them to display my photos or how does that generally work?

Feb 02, 2013 at 09:32 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Art gallery sales?

I don't know the answer to your question, but have you tried the pro forum?
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/27

EBH

Feb 02, 2013 at 10:29 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Art gallery sales?

I suggest you buy and read Cay Lang's book "Taking the Leap - Building a Career as a Visual Artist" It tells how the art world works, and what galleries expect from artists.

<Chas>

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:15 PM
capt don
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Art gallery sales?

I sell my photos at weekend art shows and at some galleries. The market has unfortunately changed and not for the best for true photographers. Since the "wonderful world of instant gratification" aka digital, everyone is a photographer. As the old saying go's if you throw enough crap at the wall some will stick. Most of us go out and even if it's a spur of the moment shot, i'ts usually a planned shot as far as technique and that's what makes a shot to me. Now everyone heads out to best buy or one of the big box stores , loads up with stuff and all they want to know is how many megapixels and how many frames per second. The local galleries have an endless trail of "photographers" coming in daily with the shot of a lifetime and want them to hang and sell it and the weekend art shows are about 70% full of mediocre shots, not bad, just not reall good either. These people shoot in volume and figure one of them must be good. I used to make a nice living at this but now most artists are lucky to break even on expenses. It's a business not just a feel good thing that you sold a pic.I love photography, been shooting for over 55 years and the amount of people that are now instantly professionals has really hurt the business. I wish you the best, i'll never quit, i'll just keep chipping away at my little niche in the world. You need to build a portfolio and build a relationship with a local gallerie or two, most galleries don't want your stuff if it's in a bunch of galleries.

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:39 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password