Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Wimberley SideKick w/Canon 800mm L ?

waltgary

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wimberley SideKick w/Canon 800mm L ?

I have the above lens coming from Sallie Jo and assumed that I would just use my current SideKick. I've read since then that Wimberley only recommends the SideKick for up the the 500L (the lens I just sold). Obviously I'd like to use what I have rather than buying the Wimberley II gimbal head but also don't care to put the lens at risk.

Any thoughts? Those that tell me it's ok to use the SideKick will be most appreciated and there'll be a little something extra in your next check

If not a good idea, any thoughts on a gimbal head besides the Wimberley?

Thank you, gary tuthill

Feb 02, 2013 at 02:46 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wimberley SideKick w/Canon 800mm L ?

As you did, I use the SideKick with a 500L. Anything heavier and I'd definitely get the full Wimberley II, or one of the 'other' full gimbal heads.

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:07 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wimberley SideKick w/Canon 800mm L ?

Hi Gary,

I have not used the 800, but I own the 600 mkI, which is heavier than and almost as long as the 800. I did use it with the sidekick for about 6 months. You will definitely need a low profile foot like the Wimberley AP-602 so that the lens sits over the ballhead. I found this setup to be useable, but since I have switched to RRS PG-02, I find the full gimbal to be preferable. I just feel like I have more control over movement (especially finer adjustments). If possible, see if you can borrow someone's full gimbal to compare with the sidekick. The sidekick can do fine in a crunch, but I won't be going back to it as my primary support.

Hope that helps.

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wimberley SideKick w/Canon 800mm L ?

I own the 800 lens. And I would not use it with a Sidekick. It's not only about weight when using those big lenses. The 800 will need a more stable platform than a 500-600 just because it's a longer focal lenght.
And there is a reason Wimberley don't recommend you to use the Sidekick with this lens. A Wimberley II or any other good quality full Gimbal head is what you like to use with this lens. What tripod will you use the head on And what ballhead do you use for your Sidekick

Feb 02, 2013 at 09:08 PM
waltgary

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wimberley SideKick w/Canon 800mm L ?

Ok I accept that I need to go full gimbal. I've spent a fair amount of time researching and think I've settled on the Indura GHB 2. It's reviews are exemplary and if the quality is anything like my recently purchased Indura legs then I will be satisfied.

Thanks to all who weighed in on this. It is genuinely appreciated. Gary

Feb 02, 2013 at 10:27 PM
waltgary

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wimberley SideKick w/Canon 800mm L ?

In answer to Mr Johnsson´s question: I used the Monoball head and a recently acquired Induro alloy legs. While heavier, they are notably solid as compared to my Bogen legs. Gary

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:12 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.