Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · NBL Canada action, Saint John Mill Rats

Hawkalicious

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NBL Canada action, Saint John Mill Rats

Hello gang! I'm a 23-year vet in the news photography business but brand new to this website. Here's some recent shots from a National Basketball League of Canada game between the Saint John Mill Rats and Summerside Storm. Nikon D600 with 80-200 F2.8 (the old push-pull one), ISO 1600, 1/500 at 2.8 I believe for all of these. (just learning how to post here so bare with me).

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:27 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NBL Canada action, Saint John Mill Rats

Like the tight crop that you did on the second photo. All equally great photos though.

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:06 PM
FMarquart
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NBL Canada action, Saint John Mill Rats

Welcome...! Just make the photos a bit smaller to fit on the page, I think it's around 800 long side. Nice shots also, look forward to more post from your shooting

Frank

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:25 PM
Hawkalicious

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NBL Canada action, Saint John Mill Rats

Okay great, I'll keep that in mind. I'm on my wife's 27-inch iMac but I'm normally on a 17-inch MacBook Pro.

This forum and the whole site are an incredible resource for shooters. I'll be back often!

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NBL Canada action, Saint John Mill Rats

Michael, nice work. Re. the crops - I love tight crops, but if you're trying to isolate one player, cropping out bits and pieces of the players around him is a bit clumsy. Not to say you can't do it, but if a player is "driving past" another player, keep the other player in the frame, or select shot where the other player is in the frame; reaching for the ball; being screened/picked off the play; turning and defending; etc.. If you're looking for an iso of a player, get him in the open, with nobody else overlapping or touching him.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:24 PM
Hawkalicious

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NBL Canada action, Saint John Mill Rats

Great points and great to hear a new perspective. I suppose I'll always approach my photography from a newspaper perspective, which is why I favour the absolute tightest crop possible! :-) Newspaper reproduction is relative crap compared to other print media so less is always more when it comes to the content of a picture. I really should look at thiings through a different set of eyes though! Thanks!

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:36 PM
matt.garnett
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NBL Canada action, Saint John Mill Rats

I really like the colors in these photos. What was your setup?

Feb 03, 2013 at 04:37 PM
Hawkalicious

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NBL Canada action, Saint John Mill Rats

Just available light with the settings as posted above. Pretty sure it was 1/500th at 2.8 with ISO 1600 for all of them. Nikon D600 with an old model (1990 or so) AF 80-200 F2.8. The arena here has some pretty decent lighting.

Feb 03, 2013 at 05:02 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password