Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · polo match lens selection

mfrank999
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · polo match lens selection

I am going to a polo (horse) match.
I will be in the stands during daytime matches.
I have the following:
d7000
18-200vr
70-300vr
300F.4
What lens would be appropriate?

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:18 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · polo match lens selection

Nearly impossible to say without knowing how close your seats are and how everything is laid out. I would guess if you're in the stands you'll need as much glass as you can take in. Probably the 70-300?

My question back to you would be, what kind of images do you hope to get? Shooting from the stands doesn't usually yield the best action photos. If you're just wanting to "document" the experience I'd suggest a point and shoot or maybe even just using your phone camera. Less hassle and the images can be equally memorable.

Having said that, I am confident that I can take a 400, 120-300, 70-200, 24-70, 50 and a 15 to just about any sporting event and get the kind of coverage I need. That is my entire lens lineup and I can't say I've ever shot any sporting event where I thought "damn, if I only had a different lens." Sure, there are times I'd like to do things with a tilt-shift or other specialty-type lenses, but for sports action that lens line-up should cover just about anything.

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:44 PM
mfrank999
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · polo match lens selection

I will take the 70-300.
Thanks for your help

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:48 PM
capitalK
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · polo match lens selection

It might be a good chance to work the crowd as well and incorporate those shots to tell the story of the event. I would take the 18-200mm as well, it's not that big a lens.

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:04 PM
mfrank999
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · polo match lens selection

you are right that lens is small enough.
Thanks

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:40 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · polo match lens selection

You will leave the 70-300 on your cam all day. The good news is you can walk around (out of the bleachers)

Your biggest problem is the image junk on the other side of the field. Pick you background and follow the ball (the players will go there)

Good shooting

Rags

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mfrank999
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · polo match lens selection

thanks Rags

Feb 02, 2013 at 07:51 PM
eltano
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · polo match lens selection

If you have a monopod, use it, it will help you to get sharper images.

My .02 cents.

Regards and a great time in a beautiful sport, with better looking ladies.

Eltano

PS, dont forget to post some pics.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:26 AM
Danner
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · polo match lens selection

I would take the 300/4 and a monopod, and work my way to the side lines.

Feb 03, 2013 at 02:36 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · polo match lens selection

In my experience as an ex polo player try and shoot from behind the goals if you are allowed.

Under the current rules player like to protect possession by carrying the ball on their off (right) side so most the action will be coming toward you clockwise; therefore try and set yourself up back from and to the right of the goal.

Keep a serious eye on the traffic coming toward you or you could end up .........

Monopod and 70-300 would be my choice.

Tim

PS
When describing to people who are going to watch polo for the first time I always warn them it is a game that is always played on the far side of the field, no matter where you choose to be

Feb 03, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · polo match lens selection

If you're going to be shooting from the stands a monopod isn't a good idea. I guess it might depend on how crowded the event is, but let's face it, none of those lenses you described are very heavy and could easily be hand held.

Feb 03, 2013 at 06:45 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · polo match lens selection

Scott Sewell wrote:
If you're going to be shooting from the stands a monopod isn't a good idea. I guess it might depend on how crowded the event is, but let's face it, none of those lenses you described are very heavy and could easily be hand held.

Absolutely correct

Besides your shooting during mid day, you got the light

I disagree with the poster /rider who said stay at the goals (like the pros do). Pros use 400 & 600mm lenses so they need a monopod. I tried it with a 200/400 and monopod and unless you're shooting 6-8 goal polo, it gets lonely back there.

I got more & better shots mid field with a 70/200. The set up is more flexible, you can go low (on your knees) and get good angles.

I never rode but I have shot the championships in Santa Barbara, CA for the past 3-4 years (and I also stayed at a Holiday Inn... )

polo

Rags

Feb 03, 2013 at 09:14 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password