Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Domke small shoulder bag for 6D with 24-105 attached?

neil_johnson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Domke small shoulder bag for 6D with 24-105 attached?

Hello,
I am looking for a nondescript, small shoulder walkaround bag for a 6D with the stock 24-105 attached. I am looking at the Domke rugged series because they don't scream "camera bag" and seem well made.

One in particular I like is the F-5XB particularly because of its small size. I've read reviews of it and seen photos but haven't really seen anyone stuff a DSLR with a lens of this size. I wouldn't have much other equip in the bag other than battery, cable, filters.

Does anyone have any experience with this bag and know if this combination would fit? If not any other recommendations for a small shoulder bag in the Domke line?

Thanks
Neil

Feb 02, 2013 at 02:22 AM
GillR
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Domke small shoulder bag for 6D with 24-105 attached?

The F10 is a very similar size, and I've used it with a 5D3 + 17-40 + flash in the main compartment. I agree it is well-made of tough, top quality materials and doesn't scream "camera bag" . However, I find I use it very infrequently because the velcro fastening annoys me. It sticks itself together almost too well and only comes apart with a very loud 'ripping' noise. I found the noise gets more attention than the look of the bag.

There are reviews and pics of both bags on cambags.com
F-5XB
F-10

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:24 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Domke small shoulder bag for 6D with 24-105 attached?

Hi Neil,

I use a F-5XB for my Fujifilm X-Pro 1 kit; camera, three lenses, and small flash (old Nikon SB-30). Here's what it looks like with a 5DII + 24-105/4L IS (hood in shooting position). Note that the zipper will not close if you have a RRS L-bracket on the 5DII, but it's a great fit without the L-bracket. The 5DII is 7mm wider than the 6D, and so it might fit the 6D with L-bracket attached.

In the second image, the front of the bag is folded into the bag, so you get a better view of the camera and lens inside. You'll probably notice the gaffer's tape on the front, covering most of the velcro panels used to hold the bag top flap in place when it's closed. I find that it's just too darn noisy to open when the whole velcro surface is used. It stays closed just fine with only these small patches in use.

Cheers, Jim

Feb 02, 2013 at 09:00 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Domke small shoulder bag for 6D with 24-105 attached?

You might also consider the F3X for a little bit more room. The side pockets are great for a flash or some sunglasses and an energy bar. The Think Tank Retrospective 5 or 7 are also definitely worth a look!

Edited on Feb 03, 2013 at 06:42 PM · View previous versions

Feb 02, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Domke small shoulder bag for 6D with 24-105 attached?

I have an F-5xb, F-5xc, and a Retrospective 7. The first I use mostly with an NEX system, though it will be fine for an SLR with a moderate sized lens like you describe. The C version I use with a full frame Nikon -- usually with an 85/1.4 and a 35/2, with room to spare. The Thinktank Retrospectives have much more padding and are larger, so I usually on use it when working or when I know I'll need the extra padding. For something compact and light, Domke is better.

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:27 PM
neil_johnson

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Domke small shoulder bag for 6D with 24-105 attached?

Thanks for the suggestions and input everyone, much appreciated! Also thanks Jim for the photos showing it in action, that was something I found missing online. They always showed just a body with separate lenses which to me defeats the purpose of a "quick release" small bag. I want it to rapidly pull out the camera and shoot. Looks like with the 24-105 it will be pretty full which is fine as long as it fits. Might be nice if there was a tiny bit more room for my flash unit.

I think I'm going to take one more look at a couple of the other models including those from Thinktank and then make a decision. I have to make sure I get something for the sole purpose of a walkaround. I have the ol' mega backpack for longer excursions.

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:41 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.