Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Slide scanner help

Saidora

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Slide scanner help

I'm looking at a Plustek Opticfilm 8100 film (slide) scanner and am wondering if it is superior to the Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 that I've had for several years. It must be better because the dpi is nearly twice my Nikon....;but it only costs about one fifth what I paid for the Nikon which BTW, Nikon has abandoned for support.. Thank Goodness for VueScan!
Any opinions or comparisons welcome!

Thank you,
R.B.

Feb 02, 2013 at 06:19 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Slide scanner help

Vuscan yes it works very well. in fact it just went 64bit too. I will replace my 4000 when it dies. no earlier.

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:24 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Slide scanner help

I'm with sjms....

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:47 PM
lighthawk
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Slide scanner help

I'm using a borrowed Canoscan which is only supported thru Win XP.
Results just aren't very good at 2400dpi. Looking for something better.

Mar 05, 2013 at 06:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Slide scanner help

Since you have he Vuescan software and the Nikon rig is still running, my recommendation would be to keep using it till it dies.

I have a plustek 7600, still running the old silverfast 6.6 software. Yes, it scans at a higher dpi, but the biggest improvement is actually the software......essentially you are able to do a lot of "up front" adjustment on your slide/film at the scanning point, and do multi-pass scanning to increase image depth and decrease noise levels (as long as you are not in a hurry or don't have a lot of slides to scan). I really like the rig and am considering the new silverfast software upgrade (8.x), but honestly, if my old HP scanner was still working, I would still be using it, thus my recommendation to you.

Gene

Mar 05, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Slide scanner help

Same here my Nikon coolscan works for me but I bought an Epson photo flatbed scanner that I've not played with but if iirc and read the features correctly I can put multiple prints,slides or negatives and scan them all at once with great detail and the software will separate them out to individual files but I've not got around to trying it out yet. Just like it took me several yrs to unpack my Epsin 1400 wide body printer and only printed once small job on it and that was two years ago. Health be poor at times. Plus setting things up hasn't happen for the scanners. I bought a brother laser B&W wireless wifi printer used it onOne night from my iPad and ran the media out from the very limited toner given with the printer and replaced it with the large volume toner cart and not used since. I'm working on setting up a triple Acer 24" monitor setup. I bought the monitor around Black Friday back in November but the upright for the mount wasn't tapped for the screws to hold the cross member and two of the three monitor have never been taken out of the box or even had the box open. I opened one when I bought at the store to verify the monitor cable types and it just got mounted on the crossmember of the stand but none of the cables have been hooked up or connected as of yet. I hope to get a tap this next week and set up the triple monitor setup plus share a forth monitor which is a Sony Playstaion 3d monitor for my PlayStation 3, and my Apple Mac mini plus ill connect it to one of the Acer the mini that it whereas the ps is connected to the big Sony tv and it monitor I connect to different monitors depending on what I'm using the various devices for.

Mar 09, 2013 at 08:05 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Slide scanner help

flatbeds fall real short in the quality area with 35mm though some find it acceptable. with large transparencies its good and even then if you pixel peep you won't really like what you see. the drum is still the #1 vs the coolscan at #2 in 35mm.

the rest of your torrent is out of subject

Mar 09, 2013 at 04:49 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password