New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Question for Nex 7 owners

Mitchell Derr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question for Nex 7 owners

I have a Nex 7 that I attached to a Sirui Ballhead attached to a Sirui Tripod. I have purchased Jim Buchanan's Nex 7 grip which really improves the handheld experience.

Coming from a 5D, I have been a little frustrated in trying to move my camera around when it is on the ballhead attached to the tripod. I have large hands and I inadvertently hit one button or another when I am trying to orient the camera to take a shot.

Short of buying another ballhead with a grip, is there an attachment of some kind that I can integrate so I can grab a hold it and move the camera around without having to grab the camera body?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mitch

Feb 01, 2013 at 07:43 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question for Nex 7 owners

I've not seen anything like you are describing, but I have never had that problem, I grab the camera how I normally hold it in my right hand, I have the pano type ball head so I can rotate the ball head controls to where I want them, which is typically on the left for my left hand to access it easily.
Another method I've used when shooting at a low angle with the screen out, is to grab the body by the top and bottom on the right side(Tri-Navi & battery).
Hope that helps.

Feb 01, 2013 at 08:25 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question for Nex 7 owners

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2012/03/sony-nex-7-dial-wheel-lock-option.html

Dial wheel lock option?

Feb 01, 2013 at 08:44 PM
Mitchell Derr
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question for Nex 7 owners

Thanks for the information guys. I have used the wheel lock before. I guess I just find shooting with Nex 7 awkward compared to the 5D. Really the inability to use the remote and bracket shots makes me fumble around too much in addition to manual focus lenses. I just haven't found it very comfortable and that is why I was trying to find a way to manipulate the camera without touching the body.

Don't get me wrong, I love the camera and the images it can produced, coupled with the light weight "ready to hit the John Muir Trail" appeal.

Open to any ideas. I guess I just need to spend more time with it and get really comfortable. I would think 6 months would be enough. Maybe I need to sleep with it??

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:39 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question for Nex 7 owners

What doesn't everyone sleep with their camera

Yeah the F'ed up bracketing needs to be fixed and this coming FW update sounds like it glosses over that oversight.

Feb 02, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Mitchell Derr
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question for Nex 7 owners

My wife calls it the "other woman".

Feb 02, 2013 at 01:00 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question for Nex 7 owners

There is no solution for a non-gripped ball head that will be as comfortable at a DSLR grip. I picked up a sub-$100 Vanguard pistol-grip head for the 7 and, while overall it's still not as comfortable, I am very pleased with it. The heaviest lens I've put on it is the Nikon AIS 200/2, but I couldn't get it to slip. I find it more comfortable to use than the joystick or side grip models with equal or better build quality. I also like the size and placement of the tension control knob. It looks like a garden hose attachment, but it works very well.

That said, if you just want someone to tell you it's okay to give it up, it is. I can't remember who said it, but as goes the quote, "When you start comparing your mistress unfavorably to your wife, then you have reached the end of the affair."

Feb 02, 2013 at 02:45 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.