Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

Billphysics
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

The person running the select club that I contract with is thinking about putting some of my pictures up on the web for parents to buy. He has 20 teams with girls from 12 to 17 years old.

We took 10 teams to a tournament in Memphis and won 2 championships and 1 second out of 180 teams playing.

Right now, I'm paid a flat fee per tournament day that I shoot.

He is looking for a way to allow parents to buy pictures and he would like to get a little of the money that he pays me back. II would get a small cut.

Would you suggest Smugmug, Zenfolio, Photoshelter or something else?

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Bill

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

I've used Smugmug for several years now. I don't have any complaints.

What happens,under your current agreement,to the photos where you shoot for a fee?

Marty

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Billphysics
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

Some of them are used for publicity, but most just go into never-never land on our hard drives. It has been fairly frustrating to me except for the fact that I get paid for my time, which is our agreement.

He has decided to try to recoup part of his money and we haven't worked out what the split will be on money made on picture sales. I think legally they are his pictures since he hired me to take them.

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

Billphysics wrote:
Some of them are used for publicity, but most just go into never-never land on our hard drives.

In that case it can't hurt.

Good luck!
Marty

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:20 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

I use Zenfolio and love it paired w Mpix as the lab. I could probably self fulfill and make a few more, but it is way easier to pay them their cut. if you can get a decent rate to shoot and let him fool with it, so much the better.

Feb 04, 2013 at 04:25 AM
soundguy591

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

SmugMug all the way. I've used them for the past 2 years and I've never had a complaint. Their customer support is top notch and their site is easy to use/customize/order from. The best part is import sharpening and complete customization for $150 a year. I've got buddies who use Zenfolio, but IMHO, SmugMug all the way.

Feb 07, 2013 at 01:09 AM
Billphysics
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

Thanks for the input. I appreciate you taking the time to give your opinion.
Now I need to talk to the Director of the club I shoot for.
Bill

Feb 07, 2013 at 03:09 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

soundguy591 wrote:
SmugMug all the way..........for $150 a year.

The cost per year is now $250.00. Just renewed mine this week.

Marty

Feb 07, 2013 at 07:50 PM
Deborah Kolt
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

Regarding photo ownership, they are usually only his if you signed a "Work for Hire" contract or otherwise stipulated he owns copyright, has sales rights, etc. Clarify your position before you enter into discussions so that you negotiate from a position of knowledge. It is not unheard of for organizations who paid a photographer to assume they also have the right to sell the work.

Feb 07, 2013 at 08:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

Zenfolio is really really great

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

Looking at your subject header again "Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament" I hope you don't mean Starting to sell photos INSTEAD of fee per tournament.

Don't do that.

Marty

Feb 08, 2013 at 02:07 AM
Billphysics
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

Marty....No way I'm going to shoot only for the chance to sell. I only shoot if there is a fee involved.

Thanks for the reinforcement that I'm on the right track.

Feb 09, 2013 at 05:05 AM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

I would suggest a agreement to shared profits of sales, allowing them a slightly higher rate to yours, and maintain current agreement for pay per event.

Would suggest that you get a fee to setup site (annual cost, setup fees) and maintain it (uploads, etc).

Win Win for both...and better for you

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:42 AM
PeakPhoto
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

I use zenfolio as well and love it. I have the premium package which gives me access to MpixPro (which is great for quick turnaround and $5 overnight shipping) and it waives the fee if I self fulfill. But I travel a lot so it'll be nice to turn on the auto fulfillment when I'm out. I pay $260 a year, but do away with MpixPro and it's something like $150 I think.

I'm assuming you'd want to auto fill orders because you would be dealing with a high volume of orders? In that case Photoshelter might be better as their auto fill fee is only 8% vs 12% at zenfolio and I believe 15% At smugmug.

I like the look of photoshelter and zenfolio better than smugmug's standard look.

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:38 AM
Billphysics
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

Thanks for all the help. Now it's time to talk to the club manager and get the ball rolling.

I appreciate all of the insights,
Bill

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:28 AM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

I made the switch from Smugmug to Zenfolio. As of the end of Feb I'll be downgrading my Smugmug to a basic account just to maintain a whack of photos I have there and maybe use as a posting host. Zenfolio is easier to use, allows you to set up a very cool blog, easy to customize, offers lots of print options, and to boot is a lot cheaper than Smugmug after their disastrous price hike in 2012. There were tons of pros flocking elsewhere.

Having said that, as soundguy says, Smugmug's customer service is very good... as is Zenfolio's after my 6mos with them so far.

Feb 11, 2013 at 02:53 AM
Daniel Smith
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Starting to sell photos as opposed to fee per tournament

Zenfolio does a nice job. Downside is no phone help when you have a question or hit a glitch - you have to wait for them to get back to you. For me, I understand much better when someone verbally walks me through computer stuff so I miss the phone option.

One word of advice to anyone looking for web sales. Stay far, FAR away from Professional Photo Storefronts, Inc, which is a spin off of Printroom. Carlton Osborn is still part of the company, so in my eyes it's still the same company, he just lured a few more people into the web. Printroom still owe money to a number of photographers and seems to be getting worse. It is why a lot of us left them. Nice site and easy to work with but when you do not get your money it is not worth it.

Feb 11, 2013 at 07:31 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password