New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · The alt monthly competition #8

briantho
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The alt monthly competition #8

Post your best shot from January, and don't forget to vote for your top 3 from the last competition, competition #7:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1178635/0

The winner of the very even alt monthly competition #6: Phillip Reeve with 11 votes! Congratulations, and thanks to everyone who contributed!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8061/8209410220_5c84468cbc_o.jpg

Simple rules:

1. Your entry must have been photographed using alt lens or gear.

Canon DSLR using Canon lens is NOT alt.
Nikon DSLR using Nikon lens is NOT alt.
Anything else IS alt, including all mirrorless systems.

2. Your entry must have been photographed during January for this run.
3. One entry per user/month.
4. Your entry must contain your top 3 picks from the last competition. You may not vote for your own photo.

For the voting part, you'll find the competition #7 contributions here:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1178635/0

Pick your top 3, and name them in your post.
Attention: A small change this month. Please include a short explanation of the reasons for your top pick when voting.

Please leave the EXIF intact, and copy the following, adding info for your entry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Camera body:
Lens:
Aperture:
Filters:
Short note on PP:
Top vote + reason:
Vote 2:
Vote 3:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous winners:

Competition #1: Snowboarder
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/4420/dsc3954a.jpg

Competition #2: Bifurcator
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/80/702480.jpg

Competition #3: HelenaN
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7132/7723709822_17a0f48887_o.jpg

Competition #4: Bobu
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8051/8132343972_51998eb32e_o.jpg

Competition #5: Sebboh
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8029/8069872920_80de810e92_o.jpg

Attention: A small change this month. Please include a short explanation of the reasons for your top pick when voting.

Edited on Feb 01, 2013 at 04:56 PM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:58 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The alt monthly competition #8

thanks a bunch to all

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:55 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The alt monthly competition #8

Congratulations, Phillip!

Camera body: Nikon D800
Lens: Zeiss ZF.2 35mm f/1.4
Aperture: f/1.4
Filters: N/A
Short note on PP: Very slight crop, tiny boost in clarity, minuscule lowering of saturation
Top vote + reason: bobbytan, awesome monkey shot, great sharpness on eyes, superb clarity
Vote 2: sebboh
Vote 3: freaklikeme

http://throughthelensdarkly.com/forums/urbex/CW_20130119_NikonD800_0019.jpg

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The alt monthly competition #8

Camera body: Leica M8
Lens: Leica 21mm f/3.4 SEM
Aperture: f/8
Filters: N/A
Short note on PP: A little shadow boost, highlight recovery, clarity, and contrast.
Top vote + reason: Phillip Reeve, great facial expression and steam - great mood!
Vote 2: briantho
Vote 3: bobu

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:39 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The alt monthly competition #8

Congrats to Phillip.

It appears i didn't take a single photo in January , so nothing from me this time. Am i still allowed to vote?

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:58 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The alt monthly competition #8

Congratulations Phillip!

Camera body: Leica M9
Lens: Leica 21mm f/3.4 SEM
Aperture: f/8 (or f/5.6)
Filters: Polfilter
Short note on PP: WB, saturation
Top vote + reason: Phillip Reeve, great light - great mood
Vote 2: helimat
Vote 3: HelenaN

Styx River, Tasmania:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8361/8438219090_c70815748a_o.jpg

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:29 AM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The alt monthly competition #8

Bobu wrote:
Styx River, Tasmania:

Hi Bobu,

Nice man! Is there no Tasmania section on your site? I was there in December, and it would be interesting to see what you made of it - even though we have different interests.

Feb 02, 2013 at 09:39 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The alt monthly competition #8

Toothwalker wrote:
Hi Bobu,

Nice man! Is there no Tasmania section on your site? I was there in December, and it would be interesting to see what you made of it - even though we have different interests.

No, not yet. I was there in December/January (for 4 weeks) and still have to process most of the images. So far I've managed to delete 2200 images out of 4000 and process all the DP2 images. Until I'm finished with all the M9 images I will need probably 4 more weeks.

Have you posted your Tasmania images somewhere?

Boris

Feb 02, 2013 at 09:45 AM
Jon Tainton
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The alt monthly competition #8

Camera body: 1DS3
Lens: Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4
Aperture: F8
Filters: None
Short note on PP: WB warming, sharpening for web and crop from bottom.
Top vote + reason : xbarcelo - the vulnerability of the rural village sited on what appears to be the run out tongue of an impressive paleo landslide and the surrounding hills forming an amphitheatre. The last colours of autumn, show up well too, in the dappled sunlight.
Vote 2: brockwhittaker
Vote 3: telyt

Winter Woodland

Feb 02, 2013 at 09:47 AM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The alt monthly competition #8

Bobu wrote:
No, not yet. I was there in December/January (for 4 weeks) and still have to process most of the images. So far I've managed to delete 2200 images out of 4000 and process all the DP2 images. Until I'm finished with all the M9 images I will need probably 4 more weeks.

Have you posted your Tasmania images somewhere?

Boris

My holidays were one month, including ten flights, stopovers in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, a trip on mainland Australia, and two weeks in Tasmania. Four hundred images survived the selection. I prepared a selection for family and friends in my typical quick & dirty fashion: everything on one page with mostly unimaginative titles. The picture order is not chronological, but loosely groups animals, landscapes, trees, and human presence. This means that mainland Australia and Tasmania are intermingled. If you don't mind all that, you can click on
http://toothwalker.org/temp/au/

I am looking forward to see your Tasmania gallery.

Feb 02, 2013 at 11:58 AM
twoeye
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The alt monthly competition #8

Camera body: Canon 5DMkII
Lens: Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 ZE
Aperture: F8
Filters: None
Short note on PP: LR: Adjusted WB, reduced exposure, lifted shadows, desat. yellow/orange, sat. blues., corrected perspective. PS: step resize/ sharpen
Top vote + reason : briantho, great informal portrait with great colors, subject colours echoed in the oof background.
Vote 2: carstenw
Vote 3: HelenaN

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41926915/WEB%20versjoner%20EXIF/IMG_0209-1200%20EXIF.jpg

Edited on Feb 02, 2013 at 03:28 PM · View previous versions

Feb 02, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The alt monthly competition #8

Toothwalker wrote:
My holidays were one month, including ten flights, stopovers in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, a trip on mainland Australia, and two weeks in Tasmania. Four hundred images survived the selection. I prepared a selection for family and friends in my typical quick & dirty fashion: everything on one page with mostly unimaginative titles. The picture order is not chronological, but loosely groups animals, landscapes, trees, and human presence. This means that mainland Australia and Tasmania are intermingled. If you don't mind all that, you can click on
http://toothwalker.org/temp/au/

I am looking forward to see your Tasmania gallery.

Thanks Toothwalker. You have some really nice images in your gallery. I will open a separate Tasmania thread in a few weeks where we can further discuss this topic. We seem to like the same places.

Boris

Feb 02, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The alt monthly competition #8

Photobomblet by Taylor Sherman, on Flickr

Camera body: Sony Nex-7
Lens: Cosina Voigtlander APO-Lanthar 180/4 SL
Aperture: f/4
Filters: none
Short note on PP: none
Top vote + reason: Phillip Reeve. It has immediate impact, is fascinating, good composition, and is super impressive for a shot in a public place like that.
Vote 2: philber
Vote 3: briantho

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:23 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The alt monthly competition #8

Bobu wrote:
Thanks Toothwalker. You have some really nice images in your gallery. I will open a separate Tasmania thread in a few weeks where we can further discuss this topic. We seem to like the same places.

Boris

Agree with Boris' comments Toothwalker!

That first wombat photo suggests you captured the shot in the wild, not a zoo/park. Quite rare to see them in daylight.

Rest assured...lonesome gum trees become less scary after living here for some years!!

I was in Europe from mid-Dec to late January, so will enter this current competition...Congrats Phillip Reeve on that winning composite shot!

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:39 PM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The alt monthly competition #8

Skiing by briantho, on Flickr

Camera body: NEX-7
Lens: Contax Zeiss 28mm f2
Aperture: f5.6 or 8
Filters: C-Pol
Short note on PP: Used -2/0/+2 EV bracketing for this shot. Lots of playing around with various settings, slight crop.
Top vote + reason: weezintrumpete, a simple portrait which works well in B&W. Beautiful girl with an attitude.
Vote 2: bobbytan
Vote 3: LeadyGonzales

15Bit wrote:
It appears i didn't take a single photo in January , so nothing from me this time. Am i still allowed to vote?

I think it would be unfortunate if people started to vote without contributing a photo. I'd suggest you go out and shoot some great stuff this month so you can enter (and vote) in the next run.

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:04 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The alt monthly competition #8

I forgot to say: I really had trouble choosing shots this time. I had 7 tabs open and was switching back and forth between them to decide, and to remove 2 from the final 5 was incredibly hard.

Brian, do the photos still all get 1 point each? I was wondering if a Formula-style 3 for the win, 2 for second, 1 for third, might make sense. It would stop a photo from winning which lots of people thought was good, and give an advantage to shots which not quite as many people liked, but who found it great.

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:43 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The alt monthly competition #8

briantho wrote:
I think it would be unfortunate if people started to vote without contributing a photo. I'd suggest you go out and shoot some great stuff this month so you can enter (and vote) in the next run.

Thats fair enough - just checking. Unfortunately i won't be getting out much this month either due to health issues. I'll do my best though

Feb 02, 2013 at 05:00 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The alt monthly competition #8

Table-top still-life? Macro?

Feb 02, 2013 at 05:10 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The alt monthly competition #8

lenticular11 wrote:
Agree with Boris' comments Toothwalker!

That first wombat photo suggests you captured the shot in the wild, not a zoo/park. Quite rare to see them in daylight.

I captured that wombat in Narawntapu National Park. They come out to graze in the late afternoon, and there is plenty of light.

Rest assured...lonesome gum trees become less scary after living here for some years!!

Are such root formations common with gum trees?

Feb 02, 2013 at 05:23 PM
briantho
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The alt monthly competition #8

carstenw wrote:
Brian, do the photos still all get 1 point each? I was wondering if a Formula-style 3 for the win, 2 for second, 1 for third, might make sense. It would stop a photo from winning which lots of people thought was good, and give an advantage to shots which not quite as many people liked, but who found it great.

Well, my thought was it would be interesting for the photographers with some feedback instead of just naming the votes. Your idea of more points for the top votes sounds good to me, but it would have to be from next months run, as this one is ongoing. What do the other members think of Carsten's suggestion?

15Bit wrote:
Thats fair enough - just checking. Unfortunately i won't be getting out much this month either due to health issues. I'll do my best though

Sad to hear. Carsten had some constructive ideas. I am doing some indoor macro work this month, it's fun.

Feb 02, 2013 at 05:30 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.