Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2013 · I want to buy a SB700, Should I?
  
 
popinvasion
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · I want to buy a SB700, Should I?


I have a couple of manual Yongnuo's that you see discussed on the strobist sites.

I have a D800 and want something that the camera actually understands, and I may possibly play with the CLS. Although I have no idea if I prefer manual or not. So I am thinking of SB700. The 910 seems like a crazy over the top feature filled flash. Too much.



Feb 01, 2013 at 08:13 PM
Mark_L
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · I want to buy a SB700, Should I?


Buy a SB800


Feb 01, 2013 at 08:35 PM
SweetMk
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · I want to buy a SB700, Should I?


I lived with the SB-600 for 3 years after getting one on clearance at Best Buy. I never could work it without the manual in my other hand.

The SB-800 is similar to the SB-600, from what I have read - menus! UGH!!

I finally broke down and bought the SB-700. What a pleasure! Once through the manual, and I can make it do anything. No manual required.

Wireless flash is easy, just flick the switch. CLS is great, no math, no guesses.

Others love the SB-600, I will sell mine and get another SB-700.



Feb 01, 2013 at 11:05 PM
popinvasion
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · I want to buy a SB700, Should I?


SweetMk wrote:
I lived with the SB-600 for 3 years after getting one on clearance at Best Buy. I never could work it without the manual in my other hand.

The SB-800 is similar to the SB-600, from what I have read - menus! UGH!!

I finally broke down and bought the SB-700. What a pleasure! Once through the manual, and I can make it do anything. No manual required.

Wireless flash is easy, just flick the switch. CLS is great, no math, no guesses.

Others love the SB-600, I will sell mine and get another SB-700.



How do you get it off the camera? Meaning how does the camera communicate with the flash when its not connected via hotshoe?



Feb 02, 2013 at 02:10 AM
fsiagian
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · I want to buy a SB700, Should I?


SB-700 is a great flash and it has more than enough power for my use.

Off camera, set your built-in flash as a commander and use the SB-700 as a remote flash. Buy a stand and umbrella/softbox, it will be fun.



Feb 02, 2013 at 02:17 AM
SweetMk
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · I want to buy a SB700, Should I?


fsiagian wrote:
SB-700 is a great flash and it has more than enough power for my use.

Off camera, set your built-in flash as a commander and use the SB-700 as a remote flash. Buy a stand and umbrella/softbox, it will be fun.


A couple menu selections, and the SB-700 flash is ready to go. Supposedly, the flash will work at 40', but I have not "pixel peeked" to see it's full capability.

Flip the SB-700 back to on, and the flash is ready for hot shoe or SC-17 cord duty.

I am more than happy.



Feb 02, 2013 at 02:42 AM
fsiagian
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · I want to buy a SB700, Should I?


+1


Feb 02, 2013 at 02:45 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



popinvasion
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · I want to buy a SB700, Should I?


yeah i guess my only concern comes from the lack of the pc sync.


Feb 02, 2013 at 10:39 AM
SweetMk
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · I want to buy a SB700, Should I?


popinvasion wrote:
yeah i guess my only concern comes from the lack of the pc sync.


At first you say " The 910 seems like a crazy over the top feature filled flash. Too much."

Now you want a PC sync, that nobody has used in ten years.




Feb 02, 2013 at 02:02 PM
popinvasion
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · I want to buy a SB700, Should I?


That's my point in asking. Why would I want pc sync?


Feb 02, 2013 at 03:23 PM
dougfatheruk
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · I want to buy a SB700, Should I?


Do you actually want to put the speedlight on top of your camera with TTL, if you see yourself doing this then go for the SB-910 because you will eventually meet the shortcomings of the SB-700. Don't get me wrong, i have one and love it but you can never have enough juice, at least with a SB-910 you can dial down.

If on the other hand you just want wireless CLS compatibility, check out the newer Yongnuo EX flashes, they support wireless CLS and manual only, they are only 40% more than the cheapy manual only base model, no on camera TTL.

Hope it helps.



Feb 02, 2013 at 05:55 PM
shmn
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · I want to buy a SB700, Should I?


SweetMk wrote:
Now you want a PC sync, that nobody has used in ten years.


People still use PC sync for a number of reasons. One reason may be to trigger the flash with a wireless system like Pocket Wizard.



Feb 02, 2013 at 06:06 PM
cgardner
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · I want to buy a SB700, Should I?


shmn wrote:
People still use PC sync for a number of reasons. One reason may be to trigger the flash with a wireless system like Pocket Wizard.


The alternative which I use is a hot shoe > mini-phone. .







In addition to connecting any hot shoe flash to a radio trigger it solves the problem of mounting the flash to the stand bracket via the 1/4-20 threaded hole on the bottom and 5/8" stud.



Feb 02, 2013 at 08:38 PM
DigMeTX
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · I want to buy a SB700, Should I?


One alternative to the SB-910 that costs less is the Nissin Di-866 MKII. It does master and slave, totally compatible with CLS, nice power and wonderfully fast and intuitive LCD color menu system.
It is my go-to flash.

brad



Feb 03, 2013 at 02:31 AM





FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password