Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

Daniel Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

Got Photoshop CS6 only to find I can't open files from some of my digital cameras with it. Have to have Adobe Camera RAW updates to do so.

But, Adobe does not have ACR updates needed UNLESS the working compuer with CS6 is hooked up to the Internet. That is not possible with my work computer.

19 hours with "tech help" and no luck - 11 of those hours on HOLD waiting for someone to finally get around to answering the phone. Meanwhile, my phone battery died and had to be recharged during three of the HOLD periods - making further delays for recharging and once again on HOLD.

Am going to return this disc to Adobe and get a refund.

What is the a digital editing program to use in place of CS6?

Already tried Lightroom and it is so differenet from Photoshop I can't deal with it. Am not computer friendly to begin with and it was confusing as hell - had me wanting to get Adobe help folks and tie them outside in our North Dakota blizzards.

Feb 01, 2013 at 01:47 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5391
Download the update from here with another computer save on thumb driver or what ever and take it to the computer without internet.

A simple google search would have saved you 18.9 hours of hell.

Feb 01, 2013 at 02:01 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

waycool, have tried it four times now - NO SUCCESS.

Adobe tech help has walked me through it twice and can't figure out why it won't work. "We've never seen that before" - once again as I have heard from them too many times since Photoshop version 2.

In making sure of this answer I looked at it. It is not ACR 7.2.

Feb 01, 2013 at 02:04 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

Daniel Smith wrote:
But, Adobe does not have ACR updates needed UNLESS the working compuer with CS6 is hooked up to the Internet. That is not possible with my work computer.

Is your work computer at work? Are you using PS6 for work? Why can't you hook the computer up to the Internet?

You don't have to ask these questions here, just trying to get you to think through your situation.

Also, how old is your computer? What OS are you running? I'm sure the Adobe help tech asked those questions. Sometimes it's hard to diagnose a problem without being able to dial in.

Evaluate your needs for photo editing. If it is light duty work for personal use, there are several options. If it is heavy duty image manipulation, there's not much that competes with Photoshop.

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:40 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

Corel Paint Shop Pro is pretty good. I have it on one of my computers. But what you are trying to do, I've done many times without a problem. More info would be helpful. Won't install, won't download or what?

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:38 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

update ...

No internet connection required at work
you can download the ACR updates at home.
Put them on a USB stick and take it to work.
then install the update.

convert RAW files to DNG for Photoshop to open / or update ACR ...

You can use the DNG converter to convert your RAW files to Adobe DNG format. Then CS6 can open the files.

windows ACR
(has DNG converter also)
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

Mac ACR
(has DNG converter also)
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Macintosh

Photoshop CS6 Windows update
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows

Photoshop CS6 Mac upate
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Macintosh

Edited on Feb 01, 2013 at 04:59 PM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:48 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

The only program comparable to CS6 would be gimp but my understanding is that the latest version of gimp has issues.

Seems to me you're trying to solve 2 problems unrelated to photoshop.

1) Updating the software without an internet connection
2) Converting your specific camera raw files to something that is readable by photoshop.

Ignoring the first issue, why not get a raw converter to your liking and bypass ACR. Why throw the baby out with the bath water?

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:53 PM
tomrock
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

gwaww wrote:
Corel Paint Shop Pro is pretty good.

Does Paint Shop Pro support the raw files from the camera the OP needs? It's a tough-to-answer question when you don't know what camera the OP is trying to support.

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:55 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

abqnmusa wrote:
update ...

No internet connection required at work
you can download the ACR updates at home.
Put them on a USB stick and take it to work.
then install the update.

convert RAW files to DNG for Photoshop to open / or update ACR ...

You can use the DNG converter to convert your RAW files to Adobe DNG format. Then CS6 can open the files.

windows ACR
(has DNG converter also)
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

Mac ACR
(has DNG converter also)
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Macintosh

Photoshop CS6 Windows update
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Windows

Photoshop CS6 Mac upate
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=39&platform=Macintosh

OP must have hardware issues that make Photoshop behave badly. With all the trouble he went to when he reinstalled his OS and Photoshop it still had problems. Nobody in his right mind would spend 19 talking to support with out doing such basic trouble shooting. So not being a software issue then a hardware problem is the only answer left.

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

Have worked with Photoshop since the second version. Quite a few years.
I did everything I could think of as well as what two friends who teach Photoshop workshops could think of.

I do download to a thumb drive and transfer. But, with ACR 7.2 it won't do it. Adobe tech help says it won't. Others say it will. I have had no luck doing it after a few days of trying.

Most of the time waiting on the phone is with it on speaker listening to the cheezy music until someone finally answers and then going through their hoops - which have not been successful. Frustrating when you are told it will work and it does not - even when you are walking through it with the Tech guys and they are getting frustrated.

CS6 itself works fine with all my older images. It is just the newest bodies image files that are not able to be opened - and we shoot in RAW only.

Thought of Photo Ninja or DxO8 but it seems stupid to have to buy another program to get this program to view the files.

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:34 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

As far as I know the updates will absolutely work when the update file is transferred to your system's hard drive via a thumb drive. I recently updated both ACR 7.3 ( which is the latest version, not 7.2) and Adobe Bridge pn a Windows 7 computer using that method. I would never rely on Adobe's tech support for anything; from all the reports I've seen CS support is the pits...they even acknowledged as much a while back when they said they were working with the tech support providers in India to improve. See this blog comment: http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/08/fixing_adobes_customer_service.html

Do you have antivirus running in the background? Was it disabled when trying to install the updated?

The air of mystery around what you're doing (and your obvious reluctance to say what it is) is slightly amusing and will only lead to speculation. Considering the geographic location I'm guessing its defense related...on one of the many Air Force bases there.

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:45 PM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

I was intrigued by the mess Adobe has created for those without internet access and came across this:
http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/03/keeping-photoshop-up-to-date.html#notconnected

I hope it helps!

Feb 01, 2013 at 06:12 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

BruceF99 - your link solved the problem.

Why the Adobe folk kept on with the 7.2 when this is available is beyond me. Why Adobe "Help" acts like they spend too much time puffing doobies is as well.

Thank you.

Feb 03, 2013 at 01:26 AM
RAF09
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

Glad you solved this problem. Also FYI, sometimes a file that won't work from the thumb drive will work if you copy it to your machine (desktop,documents,etc) and run it from that location. Windows OS, I don't know about Mac.
Adobe has the best software with the worst phone tech support!!

Feb 03, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Sal Baker
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

Yes, true on the Mac too. Put the files on the desktop then install.

Sal

Feb 03, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

Wait, what? Y'all are saying that there's a way to install a new version ACR on an older version of PS? Err, or do y'all mean CS6... and not PS v6?

BTW, yes. I think the closest app (to PhotoShop) there is out there is The Gimp. Of course it's stated purpose /is/ as a complete and free PS replacement - and they got most of the important bits in there and working the same.

Feb 04, 2013 at 12:10 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

The subject was the latest version of ACR on CS6 don't know how you could have gotten confused as nobody mentioned any other version of Photoshop.

Feb 04, 2013 at 02:15 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

What's with the 'no internet at work'? Not allowed? So, get a wireless or G4 dongle and do it at lunchtime when the boss ain't looking, then revert to standalone. Or, bring the box home and hook up, install, and bring it back to work. This is getting ridiculous.

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:02 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

Jeffery the OP did what could not be done and successfully installed the update while not connected to the internet so all is good. We are not sure how he did this though, he was not willing to share how he finally did it. We think is had to do with not being able to run the updater from a thumb drive.

In any case the score is FredMiranda forum -1, Adobe Support -0

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:27 PM
bjornssh
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What program to replace Photoshop CS6?

Adobe forums are usually more help than Adobe tech support.

Steve

Feb 05, 2013 at 11:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.