Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Anti-aliasing filter on Canon 5Dmk2

Bacalhau
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Anti-aliasing filter on Canon 5Dmk2

Hi,
I am considering having the Anti-aliasing filter removed/replaced professionaly on my canon 5d2

According to the website, one would have increased image sharpness, as in with the Nikon D800 and D800E cameras - but the ocurrence of moire in some images increases, and the WA might need to be adjusted more often too.

Is it worth to do it? Has anyone done this service to this model or similar?

Thanks for yoour imput/feedback

FYI : not associated with site below in any way
http://www.lifepixel.com/blog/anti-aliasing-low-pass-filter-removal

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:39 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Anti-aliasing filter on Canon 5Dmk2

Be careful what you wish for. Without an AA filter, you may very well end up with odd looking images at times. Make sure to view this full size image from the D800E. Look at how the fine detail is rendered in the houses in the background. Without the AA filter, you'll get some strange stuff going on that you may need to spend a lot of time trying to fix. Rather than looking realistic --- this image just introduces all sorts of digital artifacts.

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/photos/2015997/08dsc_0175-c1?inalbum=nikon-d800e-review-samples

Feb 06, 2013 at 04:15 PM
nma
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Anti-aliasing filter on Canon 5Dmk2

Be careful what you wish for.

I have a 5d2 and properly focused images made with a stable tripod and good lens are very sharp. Removing the aa filter alone will not reliably produce sharper images without good technique and the sharpest lenses. There is a reason for the aa filter on the 5d2; removing it may be a problem.

Feb 08, 2013 at 08:30 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password