Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Golf composites

davidimdpt
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Golf composites

Hey guys,
just thought I would share a couple of golf composites. C&C as usual always welcome!

Golf composite rustic canyon by davidimdpt, on Flickr

Rustic canyon close up composite by davidimdpt, on Flickr

Edit 2/3/13
Here is the green I used in the reflection. The center of the green and sky are from Rustic Canyon GC. The cliffs and ocean are all photoshopped from different images.

My dream golf hole by davidimdpt, on Flickr

Edited on Feb 03, 2013 at 04:27 PM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:25 PM
Prevelige
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Golf composites

I think number 2 is quite interesting, well done!

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:28 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Golf composites

Howdy,

First...my standard intro to anyone "new" to me on this forum...
My comments or suggestions below are not a criticism of you, your model, your talent or skill. I offer them in a friendly tone of voice and with the sole intent to help you with a second POV and set of eyes. If you read sincere questions and simple suggestions as "criticism" of you, then you will miss how I am trying to help you.

Of course this may be your own "style" or your own "vision" and I suppose we can assume that the images look just like they do because that is exactly how you like them. That is OK too. It just shows that there are differences of "opinion" on what looks good. IF these are exactly what you want and like, then by all means continue making your images look like that and have fun doing it. I can only speak for myself and what I do or do not find appealing in the posted photos. As I always say: "Follow your own muse."

Thanks for posting the photo here. I enjoy looking at photos and it seems like there are fewer posted now on this forum. So, don't let my comments below discourage you from posting.

First, I like the concept.

But, the execution has some things that don't come off as well as I think could be done...

1. The sky in image 1 is a big distraction to me. My eyes go to the sky and...it looks fake. My Suggestion: try another, more natural sky.

2. In image 2 (the more interesting to me) I think the concept is good. But, the flag/pin is hard to see and could be overlooked.

I hope these comments help you.

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:10 PM
davidimdpt
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Golf composites

Thanks guys!
Steady, the pose in the first image is actually the follow through. Looking at it again it does look like the back swing of a baseball swing if I was left handed Here's a link to what tiger looks like on a follow through
tiger woods follow through

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:24 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Golf composites

The HDR on the clouds is just a bit heavy-handed for me, but overall, this concept rocks and I love what you've done here. No. 2 tells a story, love it.

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:24 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Golf composites

Great exposure. Not completely sold on bg, seems a bit busy to my eyes. Mind sharing your lighting setup?

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:38 PM
fgransee
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Golf composites

I like it - the first shot more than the second. They have a surreal, fun kind of vibe to them. Doomsday Golf! Can you talk a little more about the processing you put into this ? Frank

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:44 PM
davidimdpt
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Golf composites

Thanks friscoron and Michael.
The lighting was a Canon 600 ex-rt at full power camera left into a bounce umbrella. The light was placed high up to mimic the position of the sun in the background image. I then used a silver reflector camera right behind the subject(me ) as a kicker to help outline the subject. Normally I would have used another flash but I had to sell my other flashes to fund the new camera and flash!

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:44 PM
davidimdpt
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Golf composites

Thanks Frank. No problem, i've learned a lot from other generous members on this forum myself. I originally processed it a little warm in LR and then used PS to extract the subject from the background using refine mask. I then used topaz adjust to create the HDR like effect. I then used a warm photo filter in PS to warm up the image.

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:00 PM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Golf composites

Quite interesting David. Not sure about the mirror imaging in the first and think it would benefit from some of the teebox in the picture for context, but the composite was done quite well. Rustic is a great course (especially for the money).
Best,
Dave

Feb 01, 2013 at 06:53 PM

Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Golf composites

I really like the look of these. I can see what the folks have been saying in the C&C, but the style and results are pretty cool in my opinion.

Feb 01, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Golf composites

davidimdpt wrote:
Thanks friscoron and Michael.
The lighting was a Canon 600 ex-rt at full power camera left into a bounce umbrella. The light was placed high up to mimic the position of the sun in the background image. I then used a silver reflector camera right behind the subject(me ) as a kicker to help outline the subject. Normally I would have used another flash but I had to sell my other flashes to fund the new camera and flash!

I thought i was the only one who sold gear to get gear. I have been contemplating getting rid of a flash or two to acquire some other gear, you miss the flashes?

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:12 PM
davidimdpt
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Golf composites

Thanks Dave and Ed, yeah I know the processing is kind of overdone in the clouds for most but I like it! Michael, I miss the flashes primarily when I want to do things at the spur of the moment but when I need it for an actual shoot I am lucky to be close enough to a Samys to rent it on the cheap. I really like my 5DIII so it was definitely worth it!

Feb 01, 2013 at 10:23 PM
CRFTony
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Golf composites

If you were going for a Joel Grimes kind of look, I'd say you knocked it out of the park. Wait, that's the wrong sport. Great pics though!

Feb 02, 2013 at 01:59 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Golf composites

Love these...Fantastic

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:56 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Golf composites

attention grabbing composites !

Feb 02, 2013 at 11:20 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Golf composites

I like these. Nice work with the lighting and processing. It's fun to go the edge now and then.

Michaelparris wrote:
I thought i was the only one who sold gear to get gear. I have been contemplating getting rid of a flash or two to acquire some other gear, you miss the flashes?

A quick visit to FM Buy & Sell will show you how alone you are not! Some of those guys in there are total junkies - buying and selling hundreds of items just because they can and the grass is always a little greener. My last gear4gear sale was a 2 for 1. Sold my favorite two lenses - 135L 2.0 and 70-200L 2.8 IS I - to fund one lens that is now my favorite lens - the 70-200L 2.8 IS II. So worth it!

Feb 02, 2013 at 11:37 AM
michael kilner
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Golf composites

I like these,I think for my taste no 1 would look better with a squarer crop with you nearer the centre then theres not as much background to catch the eye

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:02 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Golf composites

Nice work David.
Douglas

Feb 02, 2013 at 03:16 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Golf composites

ESC in KC wrote:
I like these. Nice work with the lighting and processing. It's fun to go the edge now and then.

A quick visit to FM Buy & Sell will show you how alone you are not! Some of those guys in there are total junkies - buying and selling hundreds of items just because they can and the grass is always a little greener. My last gear4gear sale was a 2 for 1. Sold my favorite two lenses - 135L 2.0 and 70-200L 2.8 IS I - to fund one lens that is now my favorite lens - the
...Show more

I am one of those junkies.....

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:02 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password