Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

gnagel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

I'm not quite sure where to place this thread!

I've delved into the world of microstock. I know that for some this is controversial. My objective is simply to offset some of the cost of this rather expensive hobby. And, the most expensive part of this hobby for me has been the lenses!

In any event, I started experimenting with some microstock uploads a few years ago. Over the past three years, the revenues have grown to over $500 per month. At this point, it pays for a camera upgrade, a new lens and maybe a photography trip during the year.

I know many are interested in ways to make money using photographs that they have already taken. So, I thought I would share some information about my experiences in this area.

Please feel free to visit my photography blog if you are interested in reading more about this and viewing the earnings by agency by month:

http://www.nagelphotography.com/blog/2013/2/microstock-earnings-through-january

Thanks...and I hope that this information is helpful.

Glenn

--
http://www.nagelphotography.com

Feb 01, 2013 at 02:42 PM
popinvasion
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

Explain what you mean a little more about the model aspect.

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:01 PM
gnagel
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

popinvasion wrote:
Explain what you mean a little more about the model aspect.

If you view some of the most popular microstock images, they often relate to lifestyle images...or people interacting. In nearly every category (sports & fitness, travel, medicine & science, beauty & health, business, etc.) there is demand for images that include people. However, to include people in an image, you must also submit a signed modeling release along with the image.

The only images in my portfolio with people and signed modeling releases are ones of my nieces and nephews. And, even though those images account for a very small percentage of my portfolio, they generate a good percentage of the sales!

Glenn

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:09 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

Interesting, how has your family typically reacted to asking them to sign a release so you can sell their photos? Any hesitation on their part for how they might be used?

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:33 PM
gnagel
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

binary visions wrote:
Interesting, how has your family typically reacted to asking them to sign a release so you can sell their photos? Any hesitation on their part for how they might be used?

No hesitation at all. One of them was thrilled when he walked into a Dick's Sporting Goods Store here in our neighborhood only to find an image of him pitching a baseball on the wall! I had no idea that Dick's purchased my image through one of the agencies.

Whenever friends or family participate in any photo shoot of mine, I provide them with prints and digital images for free--so they like that!

Glenn

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:35 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

Thanks for sharing the information, Glenn. While I may or may not take any further steps with it I'm always interested in hearing about ways that I can make money from my photography completely on my own schedule. I'll definitely be ruminating over this though.

brad

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:03 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

Gotcha.

I've considered using some images for stock photos for a while, since this is mostly just an expensive hobby and it'd be nice to offset some cost. I still have some internal struggle with "what if I wanted to..." some time down the line with those images.

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:10 PM
gnagel
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

binary visions wrote:
Gotcha.

I've considered using some images for stock photos for a while, since this is mostly just an expensive hobby and it'd be nice to offset some cost. I still have some internal struggle with "what if I wanted to..." some time down the line with those images.

I struggle with the same thing. Once my images are "out there" through the stock sales, I can't pull them back. This means that I can no longer offer those images as exclusive. And, I can't sell these images as limited edition prints.

However, I still retain rights over my photos. I can withdraw any of my photos from the agencies at any time. Some agencies require notice so that buyers who already place the images in their shopping cart won't be disappointed.

Glenn

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wapsijims

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

I see on your blog that you said you just submit photo's of what you like to take pictures of. I've always likes your dog photo's, seen them on other board sites. Very nice.

A couple of questions, do you consistently add to your stock photo's each month or just when you feel you have a batch to upload? And has your number of photo's increased on the stock sites in any proportion to the income they generate? Nineteen hundred + photo's is a lot (to me anyway).

thanks
Jim S

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:09 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

What is microstock?

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:44 PM
poisonpill
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

Wow, thanks for this info. So you're saying your photos of people get sold far more than anything else?

Also what size mpix must you submit nowadays? I haven't looked into microstock in years.

Feb 04, 2013 at 08:38 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

Interesting info, Glenn. Thanks for posting your experiences.

Being retired and not wanting to delve back into the grind, this might be something that I could easily do to generate some income with my gear, rather than it being a black hole on my bank account.

Kerry

Feb 04, 2013 at 09:41 PM
gnagel
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

wapsijims wrote:
I see on your blog that you said you just submit photo's of what you like to take pictures of. I've always likes your dog photo's, seen them on other board sites. Very nice.

A couple of questions, do you consistently add to your stock photo's each month or just when you feel you have a batch to upload? And has your number of photo's increased on the stock sites in any proportion to the income they generate? Nineteen hundred + photo's is a lot (to me anyway).

thanks
Jim S

Thanks Jim

In recent months, I tend to add 30-50 photos to my portfolio per month. Of course, the more images I have the more potential for earnings. But, I find that the ones I uploaded from the beginning seem to continue selling to this day.

Feb 05, 2013 at 01:56 AM
gnagel
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

Zebrabot wrote:
What is microstock?

Google is your friend...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microstock_photography

Glenn

Feb 05, 2013 at 01:57 AM
gnagel
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

poisonpill wrote:
Wow, thanks for this info. So you're saying your photos of people get sold far more than anything else?

Also what size mpix must you submit nowadays? I haven't looked into microstock in years.

Yes...the photos that I've uploaded of my nieces, nephews and cousins tend to do quite well. Unfortunately, I don't have many of those! Besides that, I find that my animal photos sell the best. Certain landscape and architectural photos do well.

I always submit the largest file that I have--I don't downsize. Buyers can sort based upon file size--and I want my images to appear at the top of a search. Also, you get more money if the buyer downloads a higher resolution file. I wrote a blog entry about file size:

http://www.nagelphotography.com/blog/2012/11/d800-helps-stock-sales

Thanks,
Glenn

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:00 AM
gnagel
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Offsetting to cost of lenses...microstock?

Kerry Pierce wrote:
Interesting info, Glenn. Thanks for posting your experiences.

Being retired and not wanting to delve back into the grind, this might be something that I could easily do to generate some income with my gear, rather than it being a black hole on my bank account.

Kerry

Good luck to you. I don't know how long my photos will generate money for me, but it's been fun so far.

Glenn

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:00 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password