Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · HS Soccer Game - Evening

Photocache
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · HS Soccer Game - Evening

I really appreciated everyone's feedback regarding my post from the previous game.

This was an evening game too...spanned the time before sunset to night. At night, the lights on the field are suboptimal. Not very bright and a lot of variation on different areas of the field...very dark in the goal areas. Although dark with suboptimal light, the goal areas sometimes provide some element of drama.

When night came, I switched to manual 1/1000s, F 2.8, ISO 6400. Resisting the temptation to underexpose.

I tried to reduce the amount of noise reduction in LR, as compared to our last game. Do you think the images are too noisy as they are?

Again, I really appreciate any critique or feedback.

Thank you,

Ronny

RMS 2013

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/800s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

RMS 2013

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/640s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

RMS 2013

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/800s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

RMS 2013

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/1000s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

RMS 2013

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/1000s    6400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 01, 2013 at 01:47 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #2 · HS Soccer Game - Evening

Ron,

First two seem a bit soft, this can happen with the focal point on a low contrasting spot.
#3 is a bit sharper but appears to be over processed. Outer fringe of right knee area looks odd to me.
#4 see, iso 6400 works..... but with the ball that far away, this one probably isn't a keeper
#5 yup we all get caught on the wrong side of the field soon or later. Think you might bump the iso a bit further to test it out, frame is still on the dark side, workable though.

Noise level not bad here at all. You might want to review your horizons prior to posting.

Matt

Feb 02, 2013 at 01:13 AM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · HS Soccer Game - Evening

Do we think the images are "too noisy" at ISO6400? On a 1d Mk4 body? You are joking, right?

If anything, these look like a bit too much NR has been applied. I don't bother applying noise reduction to my sports action images at ISO3200...on a 1d Mk2n and Mk2!!!

I would agree that they don't look to be as sharp as one might expect, but I'm not sure it's missed focus as much as maybe too much NR. Who knows. The action isn't really that compelling.

#1 - I'd prefer to see the ground in this shot so we see how high he is off the ground. And the horizon is off. Look at all those horizontal white lines to guide you. Use them or, better yet, crop them out when you can. With this image it might be tight, but you can pretty much crop out that big white line across the top. That space above the ball doesn't make the image any stronger anyway.

#2 - I'd almost rather see most of the guys in the background chasing him or none of them. As it is the crop seems awkward to me with the guys in the background. And all that grass on the bottom? Not necessary.

#3 - Again, that face has a plastic look to it, so it's hard to say if the lack of sharpness is from missed focus or NR. Horisons are jacked up on this one, too. More white lines in the BG to be your guide.

#4 and #5 - See Matt's comments. Ball is too far away in #4 and there's just to much "junk" in the foreground in #5.

Keep shooting and keep posting. And don't be afraid to crank up that ISO on the Mk4!!

Feb 02, 2013 at 02:39 AM
Photocache
• •
p.1 #4 · HS Soccer Game - Evening

Very helpful. I really appreciate the feedback.

Thanks Matt and Scott. Thank you for taking time to review and comment!

Ronny

Feb 02, 2013 at 07:09 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password