Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · D7000 AF question

grog13
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D7000 AF question

Okay, got a weird one here..... My new (just bought as refurb) D7000 (with 16-85) seems to be consistently back-focusing - in portrait orientation only! Does fine in LS orientation. I'm using single point one-shot AF, and it behaves the same in all exposure modes. Anybody seen this before??

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:21 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D7000 AF question

Try a different focusing point to see if it does the same thing. Just make sure it's one of the 9 cross-types.

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:44 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D7000 AF question

are you using an af point that is off center?? The center points are cross type, so they're sensitive to horizontal and vertical detail (talking LS orientation here), but the off center ones, i know are either ONLY vertical, or ONLY horizontal detail....so depending on which AF point you're using, that could be throwing off your AF sensor if the sensor you're on is no longer sensitive to the detail, once you rotate the camera into portrait orientation.....

If you're not already doing so, using the center point is always best for checking AF accuracy and doing any fine tuning.....

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:45 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D7000 AF question

D7K guru here, ya wanna be in AF-C in add'n to using a cross pt...I've seen it before even with Nikkor Pro glass
in AF-S. Don't get me started on AF-A

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:59 PM
grog13
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D7000 AF question

Yes, should have mentioned that - I'm using the center point only. So vertical/horizontal shouldn't matter, correct?

Edited on Jan 31, 2013 at 08:26 PM · View previous versions

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:19 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D7000 AF question

trenchmonkey wrote:
D7K guru here, ya wanna be in AF-C in add'n to using a cross pt...I've seen it before even with Nikkor Pro glass
in AF-S. Don't get me started on AF-A

TM, are you saying that the issue he's having about backfocus being related to portrait orientation has to do with using AF-S over AF-C?? Or that IN GENERAL, landscape OR portrait, that D7k's backfocus more with AF-S than AF-C?? Just wanted clarification...

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:01 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D7000 AF question

Yes, and yes. About 2 yrs ago (after ripping 1/2 of the hair outta my head) I discovered the ugly truth.
AF-C provides the most consistent and accurate AF in garbage >gorgeous light. I haven't used anything else
in over 100,000 clicks.

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:58 PM
theater_dad

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D7000 AF question

on my d600 it happens in both af-c and af-s. not all the time but definitely in both modes. very frustrating when i focus on my daughter and the kid just to the right and 4ft behind her comes out in perfect focus. it's about to drive me to a d700.

Feb 01, 2013 at 02:06 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D7000 AF question

trenchmonkey wrote:
Yes, and yes. About 2 yrs ago (after ripping 1/2 of the hair outta my head) I discovered the ugly truth.
AF-C provides the most consistent and accurate AF in garbage >gorgeous light. I haven't used anything else
in over 100,000 clicks.

True for any of your other bodies? (D300s, D700, D800?)

Feb 01, 2013 at 07:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

grog13
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D7000 AF question

Thanks for the various tips, but still puzzled. Most of the shooting I've done with the camera so far (just had it a couple of rainy, busy weeks) has just been walk-around, and I had not been overly impressed with the results - just not real sharp - but hadn't been too concerned since it was all handheld and not in the best light. When I first noticed a definite problem it was consistent: sharp in LS, backfocused in portrait, but it was only a half-dozen shots, and all handheld (good light though). So today I put it on tripod and repeated, moving nothing when switching from LS to portrait (using L-plate). Tried both AF-S and AF-C, center point. Well, these results are just plain random, but very few in focus. Don't think this is an AF micro-adjustment issue; even if it is, I don't know how I'd go about adjusting it if I can't get a repeatable result (even a bad one) to work from. Guess it's time to send it back unless someone has another idea..... I know AF isn't perfect, but this seems a bit worse than acceptable.

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:33 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D7000 AF question

If I were you, I'd send it back for a replacement. It's certain that the 39pt cam 4800 is not as capable as the 51pt cam 3500, but the differences are not that great. I don't expect my d7k to focus as good as my d300 or d3s, but I do expect it to focus well under normal conditions. But, I have more faith in the AF capability of my d5100 than I do my d7k. As a general rule, all of my cameras are set to use AF-C, either single pt or 9pt dynamic, all of the time.

IMO, there are some d7000 bodies out there that are just wonky. I think it's just a matter of poor QC at Nikon, because there are too many folks that aren't having issues with the d7000. If you can't get a repeatable result, that's an indication of something wrong. Of course, that assumes your testing procedures are okay.

Maybe if you exchange it for a new camera, you'd get a good one.

good luck
Kerry

Feb 02, 2013 at 08:15 PM
grog13
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D7000 AF question

Thanks for the replies. If anyone's still noticing this thread, I have to say I feel a little stupid.....I think I figured this out and there's nothing wrong with the camera. MOST of what I was seeing was my new glasses! Most of what I saw going wacky with focus I saw through the viewfinder, and I realized that when I turned the camera to portrait orientation, I was looking through a different part of my trifocals (not what the diopter was set for). It's true that I did have a few OOF shots (but just a few) I can't explain (but I always have). When I put it on tripod and left AF alone and looked at the results on screen, the result was as you 'd expect - not every shot identical, but all acceptable, and most right on.
Most OOF shots came from my tweaking AF based on what I saw in the VF.
Duh.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:50 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D7000 AF question

Thanks for the replies. If anyone's still noticing this thread, I have to say I feel a little stupid.....I think I figured this out and there's nothing wrong with the camera.
This is not uncommon Great to hear you got a handle on it, and props for manning up with this latest reply.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:55 PM
tvman11

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D7000 AF question

Ok... Be easy on me... I just purchased my first D7000 and I'm seeing the focus issues you are talking about. I'd like to try using the AF-C mode only but I don't see a way of turning off the AF-S. Am I missing something here? There seems like the is a million menu settings on this camera.

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:20 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D7000 AF question

tvman11, this article might help.

D7000 autofoucs system

To change the a/f system to a/f c do the following:

Front of camera there is a a/f m toggle switch. Make sure switch is set to A/F.
Push the button on the switch. Top lc pannel now shows what auto focus mode you are in. With button on AF Switch pushed in use the rear wheel to change from AF-S to AF -C. Front wheel controls the number of focus points. Depending on what I am shooting, I use 9 or 21 points.

Hope this helps.

Birdie

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:26 PM
tvman11

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D7000 AF question

Ah... Thank you! I knew I was missing something somewhere.

Feb 13, 2013 at 04:32 PM
sassykoi

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D7000 AF question

New to this camera. Birdie what determines 9 and what determines 21. I just set my camera to the AFC and thanks

Feb 17, 2013 at 01:43 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password