Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

douglasf13
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

Hi. As some of you may know, the Leica 50/2 version 1 has very soft glass and coatings, so, like it or not, a clear or UV filter is necessary on these lenses, because one wipe with a cleaning cloth can scratch the lens.

Well, to my surprise, I just realized that my B&W 010 UV MRC filter actually causes some vignetting with this lens, especially at f2. This is a pretty slim filter, but it isn't the filter height that is causing the issue. It appears to be the thickness of the inside bezel that holds the glass in that is causing the vignetting. I don't have any other 39mm filters to test, but, after looking around the house, my filters from other brands in other sizes don't seem to have a thinner bezel. I did find an old filter from the '50s that basically has no bezel, with the glass apparently glued in, but I don't think that method is used anymore.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any idea as to a multi-coated filter brand that has a particularly thin bezel the holds the glass in? Thanks!

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:11 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

An alternate solution might be a step-up ring, 39mm -> some slightly larger filter size (getting the bezel out of the way).

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:33 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

mpmendenhall wrote:
An alternate solution might be a step-up ring, 39mm -> some slightly larger filter size (getting the bezel out of the way).

Yeah, I've been considering that, although size is one of my main motivators for using the 50 collapsible, so that might be a last resort. I just saw that Cokin has a brand new multicoated UV filter that is the slimmest on the market, and it is designed to vignette less, so I'm going to order one to see how that goes.

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:36 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

In my experience, the B+W MRC are not thin at all. I believe their XS-PRO line to have a thinner profile.

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:40 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/news/110308_xs-pro.htm

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:48 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

edwardkaraa wrote:
http://www.schneideroptics.com/news/110308_xs-pro.htm

Yeah, the problem is that it isn't the thickness of the filter height, but, rather, the bezel on the inside of the filter that seems to be the problem, and my filters from other brands look similar. I'm going to try the Cokin, since it is outrageously thin (3.3mm,) so it may sit closer to the front element.

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:46 PM
CVickery
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

Hi Douglas,
I have the Collapsible Summicron and just tried a Leitz SL and UV with my M9. I couldn't see any vignetting w/o. I think neither of my filters are multicoated though. I'd try a 39mm B+W for you but unfortunately my last one is on it's way to a new owner.

Edited on Feb 01, 2013 at 04:45 AM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:46 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

CVickery wrote:
Hi Douglas,
I have the Collapsible Summicron and just tried a Leitz SL and UV with my M9. I couldn't see any vignetting w/o. I think both neither of my filters are multicoated though. I'd try a 39mm B+W for you but unfortunately my last one is on it's way to a new owner.

Thanks. I originally bought a Leica UVa, but returned it, because it wasn't multicoated. If this new Cokin doesn't work, I may try the Leica again.

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:06 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

I was completely puzzled, so I checked at several websites, and it seems to be correct: Leica filters are not multicoated. WTF?

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:26 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

douglasf13 wrote:
Thanks. I originally bought a Leica UVa, but returned it, because it wasn't multicoated. If this new Cokin doesn't work, I may try the Leica again.

Doug,

I am not sure if this will fit the bill, but you may wish to try these Heliopan filters:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/302189-REG/Heliopan_703911_39mm_UV_Haze_SH_PMC.html

These are thin filters. I know they are pricey. I normally use one of the different grade B&W UV filters or these Heliopan filters. I normally use these on my super performing lenses like my Leica R Apo lneses. These are the nicest filters that I have ever used.

Rich

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

Hoya filters are pretty shallow. I believe the pro1 is the one with the best coatings. There digital line is also multi coated. I have them on several of my lenses.

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:33 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

I've owned Heliopan, B+W, Hoya and Zeiss filters, and they're all fine, performance wise. The issue I'm seeing isn't so much with the height of the filter. It's the thickness of the bezel inside the filter that holds the glass in. The new Cokin filters actually use a thinner piece of glass, and they seem to sit lower, so I'm hoping the bezel doesn't matter with the unique design. The Cokin filters also have a supposedly good multicoat, and they weren't cheap, so we'll see.

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:10 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

Just to post a follow up, I just receive my new Cokin "PURE Harmonie" UV filter, and it is outrageously thin. I can't speak to the "PURE" coatings that Cokin brags about with this filter, but I'm sure they're fine. I just did a quick test with f2 at infinity, where vignetting is at its worse, and it seems that the Cokin is definitely better than my B+W, but it does still show trace amounts of vignetting compared to no filter attached.

There apparently isn't a filter thinner than this Cokin, so I think it'll have to be good enough. I've got to remember that I really only see the vignetting when shooting a silly test at f2, and I won't really see it in real usage. I'd imagine this is why I hadn't heard or read about filter vignetting issues with the collapsible in the past. The vignetting with the thin filter is what I'd call very minor.

Either way, I'm glad I bought this silly little Cokin. It probably shaved 2-3mm off of the length of my B+W, making my already compact collapsible even more compact. Thanks for everyone's help!

Feb 06, 2013 at 01:09 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

Ugh, I'm at a loss with this filter thing. My new Cokin Harmonie ultra-slim filter has been working well for the last week or two...until I tried to mount my lens hood today. It seems that the filter ring is very slightly wider at the top than most filters, so neither of my Leica lens hoods clip on like usual, because the filter rim gets in the way. I went to look at that new slim B+W XS filter, and they actually mention that this could be a problem with their slim filter, too. I looked at everything else out there, and nothing looks more slim than my usual B+W filters, outside of these two ultra slims that cause clearance issues.

So, now I have to decide whether I deal with a little more vignetting, so that I can use my hood, or I forego hood usage altogether and just use my hand from time to time. When I carry my camera around daily, I don't use a hood, but I do like to use one when I go out to shoot with a purpose. Argh! Of course, if the darn front element of these collapsibles wasn't so soft, I'd just avoid using a filter altogether, but no such luck.

I still love the lens, though.

Feb 13, 2013 at 02:49 AM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

you can always try a DIY hood with some rubber strap. It would be a magnificent sight on a Leica....

Feb 13, 2013 at 03:50 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

I think I'm just gonna go HCB style and not use a hood. I'm pretty good at using my hand when flare is going to be an obvious issue, so I'll manage.

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:02 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

douglasf13 wrote:
I think I'm just gonna go HCB style and not use a hood. I'm pretty good at using my hand when flare is going to be an obvious issue, so I'll manage.

That's what I've been doing recently too. Can't say I noticed any image degradation.

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:54 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

douglasf13 wrote:

Doug,

It may still be worth a try of one of these Heliopan filters, they are quite thin:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/302189-REG/Heliopan_703911_39mm_UV_Haze_SH_PMC.html

Rich

Feb 13, 2013 at 06:58 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

Thanks, Rich. I've got a few Heliopan filters in other sizes, and they're not really much thinner than the B+W that I'm using. The Cokin that I'm using is outrageously thin...I'm talking it essentially only sticks out from the lens a millimeter, and it still causes a slight amount of vignetting. I'm considering shaving down the outside portion, where the grippy part is, so that my hood will fit over it.

Edited on Feb 13, 2013 at 11:07 PM · View previous versions

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:03 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Question about clear/UV filter for Leica lens.

edwardkaraa wrote:
That's what I've been doing recently too. Can't say I noticed any image degradation.

You've got those nicely multi-coated ZMs, Edward. I'm slumming it with vintage single coatings from the 50s over here.

After I got the haze cleaned out of this 60 year old lens, the flare improved quite a bit, so I think I can get by with my hand on occasion. Sometimes, flare with this lens is a good thing, anyways. I would like the option of a hood, though.

p.s. for anyone interested, here is one of the few tests that I've seen of UV/protection filters on the web:
link

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password