New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

Photorph

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

Hey all. Just looking for some input from those that are more experienced.

Some background. I started shooting with Nikon DSLRs, I owned a lot of their cameras (d70, d40, d80, d90, d300, d700, d800). I also have extensively used the D3s, and more lately my friend's D4. I shoot weddings, events, and also do photography when I travel.

Since I wasn't heavily invested in Nikon, I was easily able to switch to canon w/o much loss. I switched because of the mark iii. The d800 just wasn't working with my work flow because of the 36 mp, and I wanted a more well rounded camera. Could have gotten D4 but didn't have the funds at the time. So I ended up with Canon and the mark iii.

Eventually I was able to save up and I sold the mark iii and am now a proud owner of a 1dx. I love it so far. I just have 2 main issues with it thus far and I'm hoping someone can chime in.

1) When focusing, it makes this squeaking sound. I'm not sure exactly where this is coming from. I would guess the lens but when I move the focusing ring on the lens there is no sound. Only when the camera drives the lens, then there is a squeaking sound. See video below. Excuse the quality, just shot it on my cell phone.

*Update: video removed, issue resolved. Lens was defective*

2) Just a general question, it seems like the one shot and servo mode in canon are completely different. The servo mode has a very difficult time locking focus in low light, while the one shot just locks with no issues. I'm not even talking extremely low light, just say like a dimly lit reception hall... I am unable to lock focus at all with my servo mode. I tried using single point spot, single point, single point with 4 and 8 surround points....but no luck still. The camera will just hunt back and forth and won't lock.

My question is, this huge different in acquiring focus between single shot and servo, is this normal? In the D4 there is no difference between the continuous and single mode and both lock in the most extreme low light w/o any hesitation. That's just my one issues with this body, the servo mode in low light.

Overall I do prefer the camera over the D4, but the servo mode has been disappointing in anything but ideal light. I can upload videos to show proof as well.

****UPDATE: it was a lens issue, everything works fine now that lens was changed****

Edited on Feb 18, 2013 at 06:41 AM · View previous versions

Jan 31, 2013 at 09:56 AM
svetljo

[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

i would definitely check with other lens
(and send the sigma for service)

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

It's got to be the lens. The lens might also be the issue with the servo AF. I agree with svetljo, try another lens and send that one to Sigma.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Photorph

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep them coming! I have only tried the sigma 35mm 1.4 on the 1dx. It front focused, but I adjusted it to +10 and now it works fine (in single AF mode at least), besides that annoyingly loud squeak near the min focusing distance end.

I sold my 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 along with the mark iii because I'm planning on upgrading to the 2nd versions of those. As of right now, I just have the sigma...but glass is coming soon before my shoots this summer.

I purchased my 1dx and sigma through communication with Henry P from BHphoto. I'm not sure if I should contact him and go through BHphoto for a replacement, or contact sigma. It's just slightly frustrating to pay shipping costs for something that isn't my fault!

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:14 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

Don't ask Canon about your problem because they will tell you it is Sigma's problem.

Borrow an equivalent Canon lens and see if the problem persists.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

The squeaking sound is the lens.

And as for the autofocus, yes, One Shot mode will actually be more precise/accurate in low light. I shoot weddings with mine and when it gets dark like during the first dances, I switch to One Shot and wait for that beep. I like it though because I know it's not lying when it says it's in focus, because the shots are great.

AI Servo is really only for fast action. It's anticipating the subject moving so it's going to hunt a lot more, trying to calculate if the subject is getting closer or further and adjust focus accordingly.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Photorph

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

Will Patterson wrote:
The squeaking sound is the lens.

And as for the autofocus, yes, One Shot mode will actually be more precise/accurate in low light. I shoot weddings with mine and when it gets dark like during the first dances, I switch to One Shot and wait for that beep. I like it though because I know it's not lying when it says it's in focus, because the shots are great.

AI Servo is really only for fast action. It's anticipating the subject moving so it's going to hunt a lot more, trying to calculate if the subject is getting closer or further
...Show more

Okay thanks, just need to figure out if I should go through BH or sigma for a lens exchange...

As for the AI servo, yes I understand it will hunt a lot more and it's for action. However, it should still be able to acquire focus. When I say it misses focus, it misses focus completely as if you are shooting a white wall. The difference between one shot and ai servo is significant. This wasn't the case with nikon so just making sure that it's not just my particular body.

But now I'm starting to think if it's the lens, because ai servo just refuses to focus in anything but ideal light. How would you shoot a bride walking towards you in a church with no flash allowed with single point? You can't, and that's when I usually use the continuous AF in nikon (servo in canon). But with my 1dx, it cannot focus in servo in low light so I'm afraid I will have trouble with that.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

Photorph wrote:
Okay thanks, just need to figure out if I should go through BH or sigma for a lens exchange...

As for the AI servo, yes I understand it will hunt a lot more and it's for action. However, it should still be able to acquire focus. When I say it misses focus, it misses focus completely as if you are shooting a white wall. The difference between one shot and ai servo is significant. This wasn't the case with nikon so just making sure that it's not just my particular body.

But now I'm starting to think if it's the lens, because
...Show more

A lot of that has to do with the lens. What lenses have you tried on it? Bride walking down the isle shots I use a 35L and 70-200 II, they allow the 1DX to acquire focus in AI Servo no problem, even in dark churches.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Photorph

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

Just the sigma 35 1.4 L so far. Will have the new 2.8 zooms at actual events though.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

Don't know why you would post these questions before trying another lens.

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:44 PM
Photorph

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

Imagemaster wrote:
Don't know why you would post these questions before trying another lens.

I suppose I should have posted this in a sigma 35mm 1.4 thread.

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:14 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

I have been using the Sigma 35/1,4 lens on my 1DX a lot the last weeks. And I have not noticed that sound. It's a great combo

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:22 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

Photorph wrote:
I suppose I should have posted this in a sigma 35mm 1.4 thread.

I have two copies of the Sigma 35mm 1.4, one Canon and one Nikon. The Canon doesn't squeak but my Nikon copy does, similar to yours. My experience from other lenses tells me this is either a lubrication issue (not enough) or a tolerance issue (between lens barrel and element holders).

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

I'm betting it is the lens as i have owned many Sigma lenses and have not heard a squeak in any of them. I did however have issues with my 85 not locking focus in continuous focus mode with my Nikon bodies and it turned out he focus motor needed to be adjusted by Sigma. My current 35 f1.4 sigma has no issues focusing in servo or one shot in low light on my 5d Mk III.

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:28 PM
Photorph

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

UPDATE: BHphoto was willing to exchange my lens with all shipping costs covered. I showed them that video.

A big thanks to B&H photo. That's why I love shopping with them.

Hopefully I'll have better luck with the new sigma they will be sending me.

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:41 PM
bubaka

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

I have the same problem with my brand new Sigma 35 1.4, not even a day old. Otherwise such a nice lens, on AF when the drive goes to lower end of focus distance there is this squeaky noise. Does the B@H cover return shipping on all defective items or do you need to call them?

Feb 16, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Photorph

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

BH did cover return shipping since it was faulty, I showed them the video right after receiving it. My new lens came and works perfectly, no squeaking sounds! Still had to microadjust my lens though because it front focused. But im very happy with it, amazing image quality wide open.

Feb 17, 2013 at 06:59 PM
bubaka

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

Thanks for clarifying, they did the same with my lens too. Now I am just waiting for new lens to arrive.

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:15 PM
Breitling65
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

Photorph wrote:
****UPDATE: it was a lens issue, everything works fine now that lens was changed****

Here we go Siggi ...

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:27 PM
xtralight
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1dx squeaking sound with sigma 35mm 1.4

About the focusing issue with AIServo with the 1Dx in low light, it is normal that is not a good as One Shot. With the Nikon D3s and D800, focusing accuracy in either Continuous or Single shot is the same in low light.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.