Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · I have a question about calibrating camera lens

big-e
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · I have a question about calibrating camera lens

I have a D7000 and I use the 35-135 Tmron lens
I discovered that I had a problem with sharpnes in my photos, I did a calibration of -20 in Camera and -20 in the lens (it the max calibration). and it comes out sharp but it is not uniform throughout the zoom in the wide part it sharp and work well and in the telephoto it does not comes out sharp, if I turn off the calibration it comes out sharp.
Is this a problem that can be solved?
in my Other fixed lenses (35,50-1.8) the calibration is good (-20 -20)in the "big" zoom Nikon 70-300 requires no calibration.
What cen i do ?
thank's Ami

Jan 31, 2013 at 09:01 AM
big-e
• •
p.1 #2 · I have a question about calibrating camera lens

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:15 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #3 · I have a question about calibrating camera lens

The camera cannot adjust autofocus compensation values for different parts of the zoom.

You have a few options:

- Calibrate the autofocus for the part of the zoom you use the most
- Try calibrating in the middle of the zoom range and see if it provides acceptable results for the rest of the range
- Return the lens and see if you can get a copy that doesn't require as much adjustment

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:21 PM
big-e
• •
p.1 #4 · I have a question about calibrating camera lens

The lens is not new can't Return the lens

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:57 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #5 · I have a question about calibrating camera lens

Well, unfortunately there's not a lot you can do.

If calibrating in the middle of the zoom range won't produce acceptable results (which it probably won't, since you have such an extreme difference between the two ends), you might have to contact Tamron to have them adjust it.

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:05 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · I have a question about calibrating camera lens

What do you mean by "-20 in the lens"?

-Quang

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:42 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · I have a question about calibrating camera lens

He's talking about the fact that there is a GLOBAL AF fine tune, and a PER LENS AF fine tune...problem is, it's not like you can do both and get -40....i'm 99% sure it's not like that.....if you do the global fine tune (like if EVERY LENS is off EXACTLY the same amount), and you go to do a "per lens" fine tune, you're not actually doing anything on the "per lens" tuning........It's best to leave the global fine tune at 0, and use ONLY the per lens fine tuning....

Personally it doesn't sound like the OP knows what he's doing when it comes to fine tuning lenses.....at least, there's not a lot we can do with the info provided....

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kerry Pierce
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · I have a question about calibrating camera lens

What cameras have Global AF fine tune? I don't see a mention of it in any of my manuals, so I'm a little lost here.

thanks
Kerry

Jan 31, 2013 at 09:45 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #9 · I have a question about calibrating camera lens

NathanHamler is right
- just do PER LENS fine tune, and reset the GLOBAL fine tune to zero.
- doing both won't give you -40 and will just throw all your other lenses out.
- I suggest you do some reading on how the fine-tune function works

The 35-135 sounds like an older model lens anyway, and possibly doesn't work too well with a new body. It's not a very useful range on a crop camera - 35mm isn't wide enough, and you have the 70-300 to cover the long end. I suggest getting a newer DX lens that goes a lot wider (eg 17-55, 18-70 etc)

Jan 31, 2013 at 09:59 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · I have a question about calibrating camera lens

Kerry Pierce wrote:
What cameras have Global AF fine tune? I don't see a mention of it in any of my manuals, so I'm a little lost here.

thanks
Kerry

My d300's, d7000, and d3 all have global af fine tune (i think it says "default")...as well as "saved value" which is per lens...

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:44 PM
big-e
• •
p.1 #11 · I have a question about calibrating camera lens

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=241&sort=7&cat=43&page=1
I made a mistake the lens is 24-135

The camera is not next to me now but I'm pretty sure that the direct change to the lens was not enough and after I added the global change it was better.

I am a professional photographer and the test of sharpness was done in my studio under strict conditions during the reproductions of fine art.

At that time the lack of sharpness bothered me.

Feb 01, 2013 at 09:22 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · I have a question about calibrating camera lens

Have you considered that it's prob just not a very sharp lens?? Whether or not the "default" adjustment, when combined with the "saved value" (per lens), made the sharpness better, while surprising, is still incorrect. Unless, of course, you want to change the AF fine tune settings EVERY time you change lenses, using the "default" af fine tune will throw off EVERY ONE of your lenses...unless, of course, every one of your lenses is out the exact same amount, and in the same direction..It's best to do them all separately....

you did mention that the 70-300 Nikon was perfect....was that with ZERO af adjustment of any kind, or was that with the "default" af adjustment value changed??

Feb 01, 2013 at 01:46 PM
big-e
• •
p.1 #13 · I have a question about calibrating camera lens

"ZERO af adjustment"-yes
Since I usually work in the studio without time pressure it is not a problem to turn on and turn off the camera "af fine tune"
For your information this lens is very sharp.

Feb 01, 2013 at 06:11 PM
big-e
• •
p.1 #14 · I have a question about calibrating camera lens

Another thing, as I wrote in the original post
my Nikon lens 35 and 50 / 1.8 Both required the correction my 70-300 nikon did not required the correction. In my conclusion my camera need the correction at normal or wide angel,
lens of longer focal length does not.

I will look also at my Sigma 10-20 but In this lens it is difficult to to tell the difference.

Ami

Feb 01, 2013 at 06:30 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password