1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · what?

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · what?

Avi B wrote:
Also, we should all realize that one of the reasons that things are getting more expensive is because your Federal Reserve "Bank" is printing money. If you devalue your currency, what do you expect?

That's a silly observation Avi since this lens is made in Japan not the U.S. and the exchange rate which much like the stock market tumbled in 2008/09 has greatly improved over the last year, going from 76 yen to the dollar a year ago to 89 yen to the dollar at the moment. The same pattern exists with the Canadian dollar which last I heard was not being printed in record amounts. It is also true for the Euro.

I bought an 80-200 f/4.5 AI for $76 last year. That lens was produced thirty years ago and retailed for just under $700. Out of curiosity I calculated the effects of inflation to determine what that lens would cost in todays market. It was around $2,200. I've no idea what an 800mm f/5.6 lens SHOULD be worth, but prices do go up for everything. I bought a brand new Mustang fastback for $2,500 in 1968 and put gas in it that cost less than thirty cents a gallon. Needless to say, that is not the case today.

We'll see how U.S. policies to respond to the insanity of the last decade work out, but only over time. I know the arguments being made by both sides of the political divide but I'm not smart enough to know who will prove right. But then I'm a student of the past, history, and surely we'll know more in coming years. I look forward to it.

Feb 02, 2013 at 10:38 AM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · what?

digitalbug30d wrote:
sorry if you think its trollism,but I said the same with Canons lenses,and how photography is slowly becoming a rich mans hobby,and with an exotic car you know what you are buying into,can you really say the same for the prices for either the Nikon 24-70 or Canon's,these lenses were/are called the bread and butter lenses for many,yet these have almost doubled in price from their latter counterparts,if I wanted to enjoy bird photography what are my choice's? 5-13k lenses,so I just have to enjoy fruits of others that are lucky enough to have the extra cash laying around for
...Show more

What? The 300mm, 400mm, 500mm, 600mm tele are just becomes obsolete? Com'on man!

Feb 02, 2013 at 12:42 PM
zesto
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · what?

The price is what it is. Complaining about things you can't afford won't change a thing. There are plenty of people out there who can easily afford to buy such a lens if they wanted to.

Feb 02, 2013 at 02:25 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · what?

digitalbug30d wrote:
...how photography is slowly becoming a rich mans hobby,...

"Professional" photographers are having problems making a decent living selling their images. So, consumer and advance amateur photographers are the life blood of camera makers. Long glass has always been the most expensive and, therefore, a substantial investment for the pro and non-pro alike. You want to photograph birds and I want to drive a Ferrari, the question is can we afford it? I can't. If you can't, then pick another area of photography or a different hobby. It is better to improve one's economic situation than lamenting the current economic reality.

BTW, middle-class Americans were rarely a buyer of high-end telephoto lenses or photographic equipment.

Feb 02, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · what?

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Yes, I know for sure of at least one order that has been placed.

Andre Labonte wrote:
Hmmm I wounder who would have placed that order ...

I have to say though, I was expecting this lens to come in at about $12K or $13K, not nearly $18K

Bzzt... incorrect, good sir! Thank you for playing, though.

I was not referring to myself. As I said on another thread, I will certainly buy one of these, but I was -- like you -- expecting $12K to $13K instead of $18K, so I'll have to do some saving and rearranging. I was also not really expecting April as a release date, which throws yet another wrench in the works.

And of course, this lens brings me back to my original challenge of choosing between a D400+500/4 or D800+800/5.6 (also D400+300/2.8 or D800+500/4, and so on). I'm still biased in favor of DX and would love to swap out my D800 bodies for D400 bodies, but right this minute I don't seem to be offered that choice.

The next few months will be interesting indeed. Webesee...

Feb 04, 2013 at 07:12 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · what?

binary visions wrote:
Yes?

Please, post some shots of the 800mm f/5.6 compared to the 400 or 600 + TC.

What's that? You can't? Because you have no idea what the image quality is going to be like? Because this is all just armchair speculation about a lens that isn't available for sale yet? Ahh, yes.

Probably in his dreams... that's the closest he's gonna come close to touching this lens. Just sayin.

Feb 04, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · what?

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Bzzt... incorrect, good sir! Thank you for playing, though.

I was not referring to myself. As I said on another thread, I will certainly buy one of these, but I was -- like you -- expecting $12K to $13K instead of $18K, so I'll have to do some saving and rearranging. I was also not really expecting April as a release date, which throws yet another wrench in the works.

And of course, this lens brings me back to my original challenge of choosing between a D400+500/4 or D800+800/5.6 (also D400+300/2.8 or D800+500/4, and so on). I'm still biased in
...Show more

Ahh! I thought for sure it was you ... I suspect your wait for the D400 will be a long one ... I'm not expecting that announcement until Sept/Oct time frame ... not sure why, but it just seems like what Nikon would do going into X-mas.

Like you I'm biased to DX for many of the same reasons ... of course there is that added fact that having 5 kids limits my budget significantly and I love my wife and want to stay married. She kindly let me get my 300 f/2.8 ... I'm not going to push my luck.

Feb 05, 2013 at 01:11 AM
LMT1972
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · what?

Well the price on the Canon 800 has actually increased significantly since release and I suspect that won't happen with the Nikon version Within 2 years both the C & N will probably be at a similar price point. Remember folks, companies sell things at a price they think suckers, sorry I meant to say loyal customers, are willing to pay, which often has little relevance to the actual manufacturing cost.

Incompetence, ingnorance and indifference seem to be fairly bountiful at Nikon at the moment so honestly nothing surprises me of late. Based on their current form I am expecting the D300 replacement to be a 2 fps, 54mp video camera

Cheers
Leigh

Feb 05, 2013 at 01:39 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · what?

Leigh, I'll say only that your view of reality is remarkably different from mine.

Feb 05, 2013 at 06:52 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.