Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · KR 1.5 , Heck, I Live Near The Blue Ridge Parkway! Do I N...

SweetMk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · KR 1.5 , Heck, I Live Near The Blue Ridge Parkway! Do I Need This?

I went looking for the next UV filter for my lens (they need replaced periodically, especially if you bought cheap in the past, like I did!)

One of the UV filters includes a KR 1.5 coating, which is a pinkish tint, to reduce the blue haze.

Heck, I live near the BLUEridge Parkway, in the BLUEridge mountians!
Everything is hazed! I think they may have come up with the KR 1.5 coating for these circumstances.

Have you used the KR 1.5 coating? Any example pics? Or is this just another sales tool?

Or should I just use a polarizer for a lens protector, and be done with it?

Thanks

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:33 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · KR 1.5 , Heck, I Live Near The Blue Ridge Parkway! Do I Need This?

You could use no filter.

I use B+W MCR UV and clear filters for protection when I'm shooting in harsh environmental conditions, like blowing sand or salt water spray; otherwise, no protection filter.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to always have a CP filter on, either, because of the light loss and slight IQ degradation. The CP plays a useful role for controlling reflections and/or contrast, but I'd never leave one on the lens when it's not actually needed.

I don't know much about "KR 1.5" in particular, but in general, Skylight and other tinted filters were useful when shooting film, as they improved or eliminated undesireable colour casts in a variety of circumstances (i.e. warming and cooling filters). I don't think you need them for a DSLR, unless you want to use only straight out-of-camera jpegs.

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:41 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · KR 1.5 , Heck, I Live Near The Blue Ridge Parkway! Do I Need This?

+1 and in reply to unless you want to use only straight out-of-camera jpegs.
That's all I shoot and I go high quailty CLEAR (when absolutely necessary) or nothing. Just da hood.

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:47 PM
Steve Torelli
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · KR 1.5 , Heck, I Live Near The Blue Ridge Parkway! Do I Need This?

Use a polarizer to reduce reflections and enhance the blue in the sky and the contrast in the clouds.
I don't ever use UV or clear filters for protection, I'm just careful. UV filters have their place in helping to cut down on distant haze, but If you drop a lens on a surface hard enough to destroy a filter I can't imagine not doing damage to the lens itself anyway though I suppose it could happen. I'll take my chances with the hood which actually enhances pictures.

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · KR 1.5 , Heck, I Live Near The Blue Ridge Parkway! Do I Need This?

trenchmonkey wrote:
+1 and in reply to
That's all I shoot and I go high quailty CLEAR (when absolutely necessary) or nothing. Just da hood.

I was going to say CC filters had no place at all for modern DSLR, but I figured somebody might want to use warming or cooling filters, rather than doing it in PP. Of course, you can do PP on jpegs, but I generally reach for the RAW file. I mostly shoot RAW + small-fine jpegs. I used to go jpeg-only for better throughput when shooting sports with my 1DsIII, but it doesn't seem to be a problem with my 1DX.

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:13 PM
Wayne Willison
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · KR 1.5 , Heck, I Live Near The Blue Ridge Parkway! Do I Need This?

There may be no single answer to keeping a filter on a lens or not. My lenses wouldn't last a day without glass protection. Too many branches and vines in the Everglades swamps. Also because the Glades are full of water you can't just change filters when you feel like it. Drop something and it's over. So I choose to keep a CP on my wides, and UV's on my long lenses. But I buy good ones, B&W.

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:36 PM
SweetMk
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · KR 1.5 , Heck, I Live Near The Blue Ridge Parkway! Do I Need This?

I am not a "filter all the time" shooter, but, typically , I keep a filter on the lens anytime it is in the bag.

I seem to be very capable of knocking off the Nikon pinch caps, even in the bag. I hate the thought of the naked glass in the camera bag, especially with the lens cap right there.

That is why I was wondering about the KR 1.5 correction and how it would control my specific haze issue.

Today as I look out the door (the wind is howling, I am staying in!) we have no haze. Lighting-wise, it is a great day to shoot without any filter. Wind/dirt-wise, I would want a filter, if I were going to go out.

Frequently though, the haze is upon us!! (Not as often as the "haze" was on Pittsburgh in the late 1960's )

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:39 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password