Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 an...

popinvasion
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

I just ordered my 28. Thrilled for the 28 1.8 g.

All this sigma 35 1.4 buzz has spread even to sales guys now telling me I should have ordered the 35 1.4g and to return the 28. I know sales guys, blah.

I think they are both great, and hell I may want both but I chose the 28 to complete my 1.8 trio and I like wider lenses.

That said has anyone had both who can post a few pics comparing/contrasting?

Thanks

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:08 AM
hijazist
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

I have the 28 1.8G and had the chance to play with my friend's Sigma 35 1.4. The 35 1.4 is better built and feels more solid, but the 28 is much lighter which suits me better. Build quality is a relative subject and the 28 feels much like the Nikon 60 AF-S which is solid enough for me. My impression (since I didn't do any formal tests) is that the Sigma is slightly sharper at 1.4 than the 28 at 1.8. Mind you I still think is the 28 is super sharp wide open. I like the bokeh on the 28 better although the color rendition on the Sigma is really beautiful and reminds me of the Zeiss 2.8 lenses.

So I think it all depends on your shooting needs and your favorite FL. I got the 28 mainly for close subject wide shots with a subject isolation at open apertures and I love its minimum focus distance, I think it focuses closer than the Sigma. It really shines in that department. The Sigma is better suited for street and environment portraits IMO although both can be used for either shooting style interchangeably. If the price is not an issue I would get the Sigma for the faster aperture, more versatile FL and slightly better IQ.

Good luck
Hussain

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:41 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #3 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

hijazist wrote:
I have the 28 1.8G and had the chance to play with my friend's Sigma 35 1.4. The 35 1.4 is better built and feels more solid, but the 28 is much lighter which suits me better. Build quality is a relative subject and the 28 feels much like the Nikon 60 AF-S which is solid enough for me. My impression (since I didn't do any formal tests) is that the Sigma is slightly sharper at 1.4 than the 28 at 1.8. Mind you I still think is the 28 is super sharp wide open. I like the bokeh on
...Show more

Great post. I notice some people complain about the 1.8G build quality. They act as if the lenses are disposable lenses. I strongly disagree. These lenses sure are quite plastic, but there are toys from the 1930's and 40's that were made of plastic that still work. I think if you respect and treat your gear with care then there should be no concern with the build. As for your comparison, I chose the 28mm for the exact reasons you illustrated.

I still would like to see some pics if possible, it may be a stretch that someone did compare that closely, but I would be interested.

Thanks

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:08 AM
hijazist
• • •
p.1 #4 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

I am sorry but I only have my samples from the 28 1.8G... here's a couple wide open, second one just to illustrate its bokeh

NIKON D600    28.0 mm f/1.8 lens    28mm    f/1.8    1/125s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D600    28.0 mm f/1.8 lens    28mm    f/1.8    1/60s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D600    28.0 mm f/1.8 lens    28mm    f/1.8    1/60s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:29 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #5 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

wonderful shots man. Great work.

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:46 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

Did the sales person try to talk you into a Nikon 35 1.4 G, or 35 1.4?

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:06 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #7 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

James R wrote:
Did the sales person try to talk you into a Nikon 35 1.4 G, or 35 1.4?

No, they were just poo pooing my choice of the 28mm and 2 guys both said "man I would return that and get the sigma 35 1.4, and they did not even sell sigma. So.. I got a little bummed.

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:10 AM
hijazist
• • •
p.1 #8 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

popinvasion wrote:
No, they were just poo pooing my choice of the 28mm and 2 guys both said "man I would return that and get the sigma 35 1.4, and they did not even sell sigma. So.. I got a little bummed.

Well my advice is to hold to your new toy as it's one the best values in Nikon's lens line up, many compare it to the 24 1.4G. I sold it once and bought it last week again after regretting selling it, I did that when the Sigma was available and the price difference wasn't a deal breaker to me. The Sigma has gotten great reviews and I am sure they are valid but to be honest people overhype things these days especially in photography without a hands on experience, just like the sales guys who I am sure never shot with any of them but rather based their judgment on some guy with a cool "afro" hair or on an Asian with a British accent (which I both like BTW)...Or the help me help you dude who trashes any camera/lens he swore by the day before

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:30 AM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #9 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

hijazist wrote:
Well my advice is to hold to your new toy as it's one the best values in Nikon's lens line up, many compare it to the 24 1.4G. I sold it once and bought it last week again after regretting selling it, I did that when the Sigma was available and the price difference wasn't a deal breaker to me. The Sigma has gotten great reviews and I am sure they are valid but to be honest people overhype things these days especially in photography without a hands on experience, just like the sales guys who I am sure never
...Show more

HaHa, your last bit is spot on.

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:45 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #10 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

Every time a new lens comes out that's a good performer all the gearheads can't wait to tell you that you should get it instead of the lens you actually need / want. For awhile, everyone wanted the Sigma 50mm 1.4, the Nikon 24mm, zeiss 21, etc, etc. All great lenses (as is the 28mm BTW), but you need to get the lens you need for your purposes.

The camera store guys telling you to get the 35 over the 28 is like going to a hardware store for a hammer and having the clerk telling you to get a cool new drill instead.

It's the honeymoon phase, get the lens that suites your needs the best.

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #11 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

Steve Perry wrote:
Every time a new lens comes out that's a good performer all the gearheads can't wait to tell you that you should get it instead of the lens you actually need / want. For awhile, everyone wanted the Sigma 50mm 1.4, the Nikon 24mm, zeiss 21, etc, etc. All great lenses (as is the 28mm BTW), but you need to get the lens you need for your purposes.

The camera store guys telling you to get the 35 over the 28 is like going to a hardware store for a hammer and having the clerk telling you to get
...Show more

Absolutely. The reality, I was going to get the 28 regardless of anyone elses opinion on the matter. So its a nonissue. But I do now wonder if I also want the 35 in addition, or if really the 28 pretty much covers the same exact ground.

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:55 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #12 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

popinvasion wrote:
Absolutely. The reality, I was going to get the 28 regardless of anyone elses opinion on the matter. So its a nonissue. But I do now wonder if I also want the 35 in addition, or if really the 28 pretty much covers the same exact ground.

I know for my landscape work, the difference between 28mm vs 35mm is pretty significant. And I also have heard pretty nice things about the Sigma, but haven't tried one personally.

Maybe use the 28 for awhile and see if you find yourself occasionally wanting something a little longer.

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:39 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

who really shoots these lenses wide open? I rarely shoot at maximum aperture just because of shallow DOF reasons alone.

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:16 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #14 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

lxdesign wrote:
who really shoots these lenses wide open? I rarely shoot at maximum aperture just because of shallow DOF reasons alone.

I shoot my other 1.8's at 1.8 often. Yeah its pretty shallow but when you get it right, it looks pretty awesome. But failure rate is also high. I have never shot with a 1.4 or 1.2, but I imagine there is a look to it that gives a different perspective.

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:22 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

lxdesign wrote:

Me. I don't buy a $$$ fast prime lens to primarily shoot stopped down.

If I plan to shoot stopped down, I have a nice set of zoom lenses that are much more convenient for that purpose.

popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #16 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

Steve Perry wrote:
I know for my landscape work, the difference between 28mm vs 35mm is pretty significant. And I also have heard pretty nice things about the Sigma, but haven't tried one personally.

Maybe use the 28 for awhile and see if you find yourself occasionally wanting something a little longer.

Absolutely, 28 is a much better fl for me, I do a lot of real estate photography/video. But a 35 would be for a fun lens for just everyday shooting.

James R
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

popinvasion wrote:

Point of reference, the "G" insignia only applies to Nikon lenses. As to 28mm lenses, I personally don't care for that focal length in a prime. It is either too short or too long. But, that is my shooting style. I do have a 24-70 to cover those "odd" FL's. I confine my primes to the 35, 85, and 100 and cover WA with the 14-24 and 24-70. In the end, lens preference come down to your shooting style, not mine or a sales person

Enjoy the lens and post pics.

Jan 31, 2013 at 04:25 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #18 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

Even though this store didn't sell Sigma many stores make more gross profit on 3rd party lenses than they do Nikon or Canon. It gives them more incentive to push them. My guess is that your Nikkor will outlast the Sigma plastic or not. Enjoy it, it's a fine lens. I'll think you'll be happy you have the wider lens when you need it. Unless you really need the 1.4.

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:21 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #19 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

7mm and f .4

fin

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:41 AM
Berschwinger
• •
p.1 #20 · can someone illustrate the difference between 28mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.4

I had hoped for a better turn out in this thread. Smart comments like 7mm and f .4 don't help out very much.

My 2 cents - my primes are 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm. Sometimes I love my 35mm, sometimes I feel like it is kind of no man's land - not long enough and not wide enough at the same time. I tend to use my 50mm most of all three, but I am wondering if a 28mm is what I'm needing.

Since you've ordered the 28mm, maybe you could add a 35m f/2D for not too much more coin. That way you have whichever flavor you feel fits right.

Feb 01, 2013 at 06:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password