Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Samyang 14mm 2.8 vs my Tokina 17mm RMC..?

Dustin Gent
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samyang 14mm 2.8 vs my Tokina 17mm RMC..?

I have one lens that I use for landscapes at the moment. I have the wonderful Tokina 17mm 3.5 RMC that I have used for several years. While it is a superb lens, I would like to upgrade to something that renders sunstars better and maybe something wider.

The 85mm Rokinon I used to own, and if the 14mm is anything like 85mm, I will be super stoked. The problem with the Samyang is that they are not easily found used. I don't want to spend a ton, otherwise I would just get the 14-24mm.

Are there any other lenses that are comparable to the 14mm Samyang that cost the same? I shoot with a D700, and I know the OM lenses are highly regarded, but I am pretty confident that my 17mm is optically better than the OM 18mm 3.5

All my stuff on my website was shot with the Tokina lens - to get an idea of what I shoot.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Jan 30, 2013 at 09:00 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samyang 14mm 2.8 vs my Tokina 17mm RMC..?

Are you mostly just looking for better sunstar/"hoshi" characteristics?
Do you need wider, or better corners, or anything like that?

I'm assuming you know about the Tokina AT-X AF 17mm?
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tokina/17mm.htm

the first version is highly regarded by many members here, and will give you 14-pointed sunstars.
I just snagged one off ebay from a guy in Japan for $350 shipped. So far it's a great lens on my 6D.

The cost of the 14mm Samyang seems totally reasonable (vs CaNikon), until you take into account more than one customer of that lens has had wildly innacurate focus scales, and some people can't even get infinity out of the box.

Jan 30, 2013 at 09:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samyang 14mm 2.8 vs my Tokina 17mm RMC..?

I sold my AT-X 17/3.5 the week after I discovered that the Samyang UMC cropped to the same FOV had better corners (1DsIII). Of course, that didn't stop me from getting a TS-E 17/4L and 18 ZE.

Jan 30, 2013 at 09:47 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samyang 14mm 2.8 vs my Tokina 17mm RMC..?

Samyang has regular strong distortion with bit of waveform (moustache). I think PTlens do have correction profile.

Tho if you wanted stars, it has 6 blades aperture which means 6 point stars. Not much exactly.

Its really wide and needs filter holder (cause front element is bulby). But yep, its sharp.

Old 20-35mm f2.8 AF-D makes quite nice stars (9 blades, straight), but corners are bit meh probably until f11-f16 or so. Cheap and good wide-angles are really hard to get.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:11 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samyang 14mm 2.8 vs my Tokina 17mm RMC..?

My Tokina 17/3.5 - not AT-X is still working after >20 years of use.
My Samyang 14 is defective at the moment. Very cheap build quality - too much plastic in the lens.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Samyang 14mm 2.8 vs my Tokina 17mm RMC..?

I know that the Tokina is a tank, but the 85mm I had is almost the same build as the Nikon 85mm 1.8G. What is wrong with your Samyang?

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Samyang 14mm 2.8 vs my Tokina 17mm RMC..?

I agree with ZoneV that it has plastic bodywork, but it's the optics that counts, n'est ce-pas?

My UMC 14/2.8 required adjustment at my local Camera Repair Centre, in order to achive infinity focus, at infinity on the dial. Otherwise, it's a peach; just remember to keep it pointing in the horizontal plane, unless you conciously choose not to.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Samyang 14mm 2.8 vs my Tokina 17mm RMC..?

Ok so I sold the Tokina. Now I NEED a lens and the Samyang 14mm are hard to come by used Decisions..

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:26 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Samyang 14mm 2.8 vs my Tokina 17mm RMC..?

Dustin Gent wrote:
... What is wrong with your Samyang?

Infinity adjustment was way off. The normal way on the focus ring did not work.
But lens mount off and some exact washers between worked for me long time.
I was shocked to see the three screws from the metal mount ring hold in plastic!
Some time later they started to use 4 screws - but I suppose still in plastic. For me this would be ok for a small lens, but for the big and heavy Samyang 14 I think this is not a good solution.

But I noticed some time later, that the front part of the lens glides for and back when some small force (lens in bag and such) is applied - so infinity was off again.
With screws on the barrels outside I could "repair" this for some time, but again it came - additional with unsharp corners.

I opend the lens much more than before, and found three internal screws are slack - and this results in tilt and lost infinity of the lens.
It seems like infinity and parallelity of the lens could be adjusted with these three screws during production. But for this one need special equipment to get the lens front parallel to the back and infinity adjusted - and then fasten the screws.

Jan 31, 2013 at 09:15 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Samyang 14mm 2.8 vs my Tokina 17mm RMC..?

hmm.. I was looking for this lens used, but perhaps buying new would be best incase this happens to me.. ironically the 85mm 1.4 that I had focused perfectly..

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Samyang 14mm 2.8 vs my Tokina 17mm RMC..?

My own odysee with the Samyang 14 started my interest to learn more about Samyang quality - and I read several interessting things.
Seems that some of their 85mm lenses have a extreme bad onion bokeh - more like wooly. The same with the 35/1.4 lenses.
See here my link list regarding common photo equipment problems.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Samyang 14mm 2.8 vs my Tokina 17mm RMC..?

I compared the bokeh for a variety of 80mm to 90mm lenses, including the Rokinon 84/1.4, CZ Planar 85/1.4, and Summicron-R 90/2. The Rokinon had consistently the most pleasing and smooth bokeh for a variety of challenging backgrounds.

I don't know anything about the "Markus Keinath -Typical Defects..." page you linked, but it seems to be a compendium of internet complaints. If you look at the long list of AF 'problems' cited for the Canon EF 35/1.4L, then you'd think it's a dog. I have one, and it's one of the best lenses around, it even has decent AF in low light (of course, the camera is more important, here).

[85mm bokeh & detail images] http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/952008/0&year=2010#9001461
[best 85 Alt] http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/987267/0
[Rokinon 85/1.4 (sample pics)] http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/941350

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:05 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Samyang 14mm 2.8 vs my Tokina 17mm RMC..?

jcolwell wrote:
...but it seems to be a compendium of internet complaints. If you look at the long list of AF 'problems' cited for the Canon EF 35/1.4L, then you'd think it's a dog. I have one, and it's one of the best lenses around, it even has decent AF in low light (of course, the camera is more important, here)....

Yes, most Samyang lenses have a quite good bokeh like other aspherical lenses, but there are some few with not normal onion rings, but a very irritating wooly bokeh.
It seems like you find such only on Samyang lenses and on the one Tamron zoom I mentioned.

The not correct focus alingment is very special for Samyang lenses too - never heard about such on other lens brands.

Schneideritis is more likely on Schneider older largeformat lenses than on Rodenstock lenses. But older Rodenstock Rodagon lenses seem to be prone to delamination.

There are typical defects, or typical problems. Not every single lens will have these, probably only 5% of the lenses of one type - but this would be significant more than the 0.001% other lenses have this defect.

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:35 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password