Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1.8Bpix@12 fps=600Gb/s

Hammy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 1.8Bpix@12 fps=600Gb/s

Camera tech for wide field of view and alot of data!

Just newsworthy, not like it's gonna show up at Best Buy any time soon.

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:06 PM
BenV
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 1.8Bpix@12 fps=600Gb/s

I want this for my wildlife photography so I can take a picture of a deer from 3 miles away and crop to get the tick on its back I was trying to photograph.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · 1.8Bpix@12 fps=600Gb/s

Wow. Though, that 600Gb/s is uncompressed. (1.8B * 32 b/p * 12/fs = 691B bps).

Dunno what hardware they'd need to compress such a stream, though, so again it's a question of what's easier: putting that hardware in the drone, or beaming the raw data instead.

Even with 10x compression, 60Gbps is a ridiculous wireless data rate.

They could put a couple hundred TB of hard-drive storage on the drone at least. At 75GB/sec, they'd fill up 300TB of storage in 4,000 seconds, giving them just over an hour of footage.

To handle the data rate, would take 367 10k RPM 900GB 2.5" SAS drives. That'd also give a total storage of 330TB. Total weight, excluding enclosures and all that of course, would be 180 pounds, not too bad. Power consumption of the drives would be a bit under 2kW.

This comment: "but in theory most of that data is actually meta data the coordinates and other identifying features of the thousands (millions?) of objects being tracked by ARGUS." is bogus; the metadata is no doubt completely dwarfed by the raw video. I also figure the PBS quote is wrong, if they're creating an exabyte of data per day, well, that's a lot.

Jan 31, 2013 at 01:22 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password