Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Olympus body cap lens ranked 2872th on DxOmark

aleksanderpolo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus body cap lens ranked 2872th on DxOmark

, not at olympus, but at DxOmark's lens rating and ranking. Now I want to own the worst lens ever.

http://www.43rumors.com/olympus-body-cap-lens-ranks-at-2872th-place-at-dxomark-75mm-review-by-t-robichaud/

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:50 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus body cap lens ranked 2872th on DxOmark

I misread the thread title and thought they tested the "body lens cap".

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:30 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus body cap lens ranked 2872th on DxOmark

DxO are incompetent when it comes to lens reviews; see comments elsewhere on this site, and their valuation is worth less than cow plops in the fields, to put it politely. I have seen some user reviews which said it was a fun lens, decent, but nothing special. Look for some user reviews if you are interested.

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:33 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus body cap lens ranked 2872th on DxOmark

I love lens caps with the worst corners.

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:39 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus body cap lens ranked 2872th on DxOmark

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
I love lens caps with the worst corners.

Lens caps made in the Andes.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Lost_in_the_Andes

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:44 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus body cap lens ranked 2872th on DxOmark

Is it the MC lens cap?

Jan 30, 2013 at 09:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus body cap lens ranked 2872th on DxOmark

I'm shocked. I didn't think it would finish in the top 4,000.

Obviously Olympus has paid off DxO to get such a high ranking!

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:42 PM
harvey steeves
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus body cap lens ranked 2872th on DxOmark

just goes to show that DXO ain't shooters ...

Jan 31, 2013 at 06:12 PM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus body cap lens ranked 2872th on DxOmark

Dxo rankings are bogus. However the detailed assessment seems very reasonable, and the following conclusion seems to be a fairly accurate appraisal:

"No photographer buying a $49, 9mm long body cap lens is expecting optical perfection. Instead this lens is a bit of fun, a curiosity, a point and shoot option thatís a bit quirky and doesnít cost much money. The limited focusing, fixed 15mm focal length and f/8 aperture will be overly restrictive for some and the latter means youíll need to shoot in decent light, unless youíre really going to crank up the ISO. Those restrictions however will often make you work in a different way and who knows, you might be pleasantly surprised by the results."

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:03 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Olympus body cap lens ranked 2872th on DxOmark

Well, the Oly 15/8 isn't optical perfection, that's for sure. In fact, by modern standards, it's quite bad...but it's sharp in the center at infinity, and has a unique look.

That said, as I've said many times, DxO has no idea what they are doing with regards to lens testing. The Olympus 60mm f/2.8 gets a middling score of like 16, basically because it's f/2.8 and not faster, and because it can only be tested on a 16MP m4/3 camera, rather than a 36MP full frame camera. (some how, their resolution numbers are tremendously dependent on sensor size, regardless of actual detail resolved). Meanwhile, look through all their lens scores, and you'll see ALL of them say that the lens is best when wide open. for EVERY lens. Why? Because they're scoring system DOCKS the lens when you stop down, because it's passing less light. A crappy f/1.2 lens may well rank better than the best f/2.8 lens ever made according to their scale.

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:51 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Olympus body cap lens ranked 2872th on DxOmark

I can't wait to see the SLR magic 26/1.4 toy lens beating up the 60/2.8

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:20 PM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Olympus body cap lens ranked 2872th on DxOmark

Ummm... are you saying that you believe this lens should score above other conventionally designed lenses? It's a toy. Nothing wrong with being a toy, but I haven't heard a single user claiming the lens is better than any other lens... and this from people that like it!

carstenw wrote:
DxO are incompetent when it comes to lens reviews; see comments elsewhere on this site, and their valuation is worth less than cow plops in the fields, to put it politely. I have seen some user reviews which said it was a fun lens, decent, but nothing special. Look for some user reviews if you are interested.

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:25 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password