Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Car Charger for D800 battery

big_fish
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Car Charger for D800 battery

Random question from a Canon guy being forced to use a Nikon...

Is there such a thing as a car charger for D800 battery (EN-EL15) ?

Thanks.

Jan 30, 2013 at 06:52 PM
Steve Walker

p.1 #2 · Car Charger for D800 battery

Check out

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/823953-REG/Pearstone_ADC_NIENEL15_Compact_AC_DC_Charger_for.html

I have the version for charging a D700 battery and it works great for me.

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:02 PM
Slabshaft
• •
p.1 #3 · Car Charger for D800 battery

You can't go wrong just keeping a 400w inverter under the seat. Come in handy in all the right times.

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:11 PM
big_fish
• •
p.1 #4 · Car Charger for D800 battery

there's snow space for a 400q inverter under the seat of the snow machine - though the solar panel on the tent has the car charger adapter thingy.

i think the pearstone adapter Steve linked to should work - thanks a bunch

Jan 30, 2013 at 07:21 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #5 · Car Charger for D800 battery

You are posting from Vancouver BC and are talking about a Snow Machine? Are you grooming runs on the North Shore or something?

Inverters sure are handy; our F150 has one built in and it's proven really useful on long trips or even around town.

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:33 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Car Charger for D800 battery

so does my matrix and the right front seat folds over to be a table too.

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:45 AM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #7 · Car Charger for D800 battery

I agree with the idea of a small inverter - I keep one under the seat of the car too. A 200 to 300W inverter is a similar size as the charger in the link above, but you can use it for many other things than just charging a camera battery.

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:10 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #8 · Car Charger for D800 battery

A small inverter is not all that expensive, either, and will pay for itself over time as one buys new/different cameras with new/different battery packs requiring new/different DC charging cradles.

Instead, charge off the inverter and use the AC charger(s) you already own.

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgardner
• •
p.1 #9 · Car Charger for D800 battery

OK..explain how the inverter works......thanks

Feb 01, 2013 at 12:05 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #10 · Car Charger for D800 battery

A DC to AC "inverter" simply takes the 12V DC (Direct Current, such as is delivered from batteries such as your car/vehicle batteries) from your car, and coverts DC to AC (Alternating Current, such as you find in your household electrical outlets). After market inverters are going to be powered typically from a cigarette lighter port or a dedicated 12V DC port found in some newer vehicles, and via electronics they produce 100 - 120V AC.

A small 200 - 300 watt unit would be more than sufficient for powering your MH-25 charger and probably would be sufficient for pretty much anything you ever plan on charging.

But to be sure before buying - you should first be aware of how much power your device(s) requires so you don't overtax the inverter or buy too small an inverter. While they'll have safety mechanisms (breakers and other over-current protection) it's still best to do the research first.

For example a 300 watt inverter won't power a 1000 watt hair dryer, or won't for very long.

Usually a charger or other device will list the input power requirement in Watts; if they don't, you should be able to calculate input power required assuming they've listed (as they must) the input voltage and current requirement for the device.

Perfect example: Your MH-25 charger for EN-EL15 packs requires input voltage of 120V and draws 0.2 amps of current.

Power is calculated as Volts (times) Amps so 120V * 0.2A = 24 Watts.

Clearly a 200W inverter would handle that load with ease. You'll find that any lithium ion cell/pack charger where the "packs" are just one or two cells will require quite low power (watts) - so your USB style phone chargers, most or call camera chargers, toy chargers and such should all fall well under 100 watts input power requirements. Laptop chargers will typically require between 70 - 100W of power, and again that's a load which a 200W inverter can easily handle.

As cell counts go up -- laptops are great examples here -- the charging power requirement typically goes up. My laptop charger specifies 90W. The inverter built into our Ford F-150 is rated to 150W - it really is designed for charging devices like phones and cameras and laptops rather than powering Margarita Makers and Hair Dryers or large air compressors.

To avoid draining the vehicle's main battery, the built in inverter in our vehicle times out after 13 minutes of use when the vehicle is shut off. If your 12V outlet / cigarette lighter port doesn't power down when the vehicle is off, be careful not to leave your inverter powered up.

If you buy a decent inverter it should last many, many, years. Don't buy a huge 1000W inverter for this purpose, unless you have other needs... and if you do buy a big unit you should get it professionally installed as they need to be wired directly to your vehicle's electrical system, are typically mounted under the hood (or in the bed of a truck) and the installation needs to be done properly to ensure safety (proper gauge cables that are fused right at the point of power interface with your car to protect against shorts, etc).

The smaller units which plug in to the 12V system via a cig lighter are user installable of course.

Edited on Feb 01, 2013 at 05:18 PM · View previous versions

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:08 PM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #11 · Car Charger for D800 battery

An inverter is an electrical device which converts DC to AC. For what is being talked about here, we are referring to a small device which takes 12 VDC from the cigarette lighter adapter (CLA) in the car/boat/etc and makes it into 120 VAC 60Hz. It has a CLA on one side and a standard 120 VAC socket on the other side. In my car, on long trips, the kids will use it to charge their phone, portable game unit, laptop, etc. In the case discussed here, you would plug your camera battery charger into it.

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:10 PM
wellsjt
• •
p.1 #12 · Car Charger for D800 battery

You beat me to it michaelwatkins.

Feb 01, 2013 at 05:11 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Car Charger for D800 battery

I use an inverter

Feb 01, 2013 at 06:06 PM
big_fish
• •
p.1 #14 · Car Charger for D800 battery

yeah so the snowmobile i'll be riding is totally with an inverter.
also i've discovered that in Gjoa Haven the sun is only about 5 degrees above the horizon and won't have enough strength to power any solar panel option.

just gonna pack a few hundred kilos of batteries

Feb 05, 2013 at 10:24 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.1 #15 · Car Charger for D800 battery

Had to look up Gjoa Haven (Canada is such a large place) - wow, that'll be interesting. What time of year are you going?

Feb 05, 2013 at 10:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Car Charger for D800 battery

I have a 150 inverter in my CR-V it can charge any battery I use and run a reasonable laptop while its at it. cost $30 and is fused. you are not going to run power tools off of it.

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:39 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password