Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Is the Canon 5D Mark III In Camera Raw Processing better than shooting J...

senzazn12
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is the Canon 5D Mark III In Camera Raw Processing better than shooting JPEG?

I'm just wondering for you all who have played with the in camera RAW processing, is it better processing the Raw into JPEG using in camera RAW processing than just shooting Jpeg or are they the same? Also I hear a lot of people who don't like in camera sharpening due to halos. I put the sharpening at three when I process the Raw file into JPEG if I have a lot of family photos that I would simply just want to add some sharpening and contrast in camera and so far don't see any nasty halos. Any input and experiences with it is helpful. I must add that Ken Rockwell puts his in camera sharpening at 6 and he doesn't seem to see any halos. I think that is too much personally. Would 2 or 3 or be okay if I want JPEGs right out of camera that I don't want to edit later? Obviously I shoot RAW and JPEG so if I like a particular photo I want to spend time on, I choose the RAW over JPEG.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is the Canon 5D Mark III In Camera Raw Processing better than shooting JPEG?

I shoot everything in raw my 5DIII has never made a jpg don't even know if it can
Under no circumstance imaginable could I ever see myself doing anything based on what that hack KR dose or says.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:31 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is the Canon 5D Mark III In Camera Raw Processing better than shooting JPEG?

in camera HDR is the only reason to output a JPG file

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is the Canon 5D Mark III In Camera Raw Processing better than shooting JPEG?

abqnmusa wrote:
in camera HDR is the only reason to output a JPG file

Now, we are talking . That's the only JPG files I generated by my camera.

Jan 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM
senzazn12
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is the Canon 5D Mark III In Camera Raw Processing better than shooting JPEG?

WAYCOOL wrote:
I shoot everything in raw my 5DIII has never made a jpg don't even know if it can
Under no circumstance imaginable could I ever see myself doing anything based on what that hack KR dose or says.

Yes the 5D3 has that in raw processing feature. You can change white balance and stuff.

Jan 30, 2013 at 01:12 PM
senzazn12
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is the Canon 5D Mark III In Camera Raw Processing better than shooting JPEG?

AGeoJO wrote:
Now, we are talking . That's the only JPG files I generated by my camera.

What if you get white balance and exposure on the spot and color is great? Could you just use the JPEG to save time?

Jan 30, 2013 at 01:32 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is the Canon 5D Mark III In Camera Raw Processing better than shooting JPEG?

You have the option of saving just the HDR image in JPG or that image and all three images in RAW to make the HDR image. I normally choose the option "save all". It is always easier to delete later on . BTW, you still can make some adjustment on the JPG image albeit significantly more limited than you can with RAW.

Jan 30, 2013 at 01:45 PM
senzazn12
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is the Canon 5D Mark III In Camera Raw Processing better than shooting JPEG?

AGeoJO wrote:
You have the option of saving just the HDR image in JPG or that image and all three images in RAW to make the HDR image. I normally choose the option "save all". It is always easier to delete later on . BTW, you still can make some adjustment on the JPG image albeit significantly more limited than you can with RAW.

Yeah I see where you are coming from but I'm not talking about the HDR feature. There is a way to process RAW in the camera with the In Camera Raw processing. In there you can change contrast, brightness, saturation and color temp. The ability to change color temp for a RAW file can be pretty useful if pressed for time and don't have a computer to work with.

Jan 30, 2013 at 02:04 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is the Canon 5D Mark III In Camera Raw Processing better than shooting JPEG?

The 6D also has this in-camera ability to process raw images and I can see it being very useful in certain situations and I've used the feature to provide a file to a newspaper reporter recently when I didn't have access to my computer or software.

Jan 30, 2013 at 03:53 PM
senzazn12
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is the Canon 5D Mark III In Camera Raw Processing better than shooting JPEG?

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
The 6D also has this in-camera ability to process raw images and I can see it being very useful in certain situations and I've used the feature to provide a file to a newspaper reporter recently when I didn't have access to my computer or software.

Plus 5D3 JPEGs look nicer than from the 5D2. I guess different strokes for different folks.

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:06 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.