Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Oyster Bay Town Mites - Goal Cam

ACNYPhoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Oyster Bay Town Mites - Goal Cam

I really should post more photos here, I just never seem to get the chance. I'm not a hockey photographer, my specialty is car racing but I have done stuff here and there for some hockey publications.

I've been photographing my son's hockey career since he first stepped on the ice, you definitely learn a lot dealing with a big white sheet of ice and wildly fluctuating light sources, most of the rinks we play at you can't get away with no less than 3200 ISO.

I finally talked one of the coaches into letting me rig up a goal, my son has decided he wants to play goal so we signed him up for one of the house leagues just to play goal, he's been a backup for our travel team (Long Island Rebels) since our backup goalie decided he didn't want to play goal anymore.

Shots are done with a D700 and a Sigma 15mm fisheye... I have a hand held button for my PW's, I really need to break down and get a footswitch so I can batter handle the camera in my hands. The one shot from outside the goal was with my D3s & 70-200, I forget how much cleaner that camera is at high iso.

C&C welcome, I got the WB as close as I could, many of the lights were significantly different in color temp.

These are my 2 favorite shots (would have been easier with a foot switch) as they are the same photo from 2 different views.

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:22 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Oyster Bay Town Mites - Goal Cam

Sweet shots!

Jan 30, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Aqualung
• • •
p.1 #3 · Oyster Bay Town Mites - Goal Cam

cool perspective...

Chris

Jan 30, 2013 at 05:10 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Oyster Bay Town Mites - Goal Cam

Yup....real nice work here. You really should post here more.

Jan 30, 2013 at 06:24 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #5 · Oyster Bay Town Mites - Goal Cam

P Alesse wrote:
Sweet shots!

^+1

Aqualung wrote:
cool perspective...

^+1

Frank Lauri wrote:
Yup....real nice work here. You really should post here more.

^+1

Keep the posts coming. Great stuff.

Jan 30, 2013 at 08:54 PM
amlsml
• • •
p.1 #6 · Oyster Bay Town Mites - Goal Cam

Super!! love each one of them!

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #7 · Oyster Bay Town Mites - Goal Cam

Very nice. Good to know I can use a D700 with a 15 and get the full goal. Figure I've used a friends with a Canon MK III and 15mm and was a little tight due to the 1.3 crop factor.

Looks like I will be investing in a net cam soon!!

Jan 31, 2013 at 02:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dankopp
• •
p.1 #8 · Oyster Bay Town Mites - Goal Cam

Very nice. Although I hope that wasn't your son in goal on those shots.

Jan 31, 2013 at 03:16 PM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · Oyster Bay Town Mites - Goal Cam

Geoffrey Bolte wrote:
Very nice. Good to know I can use a D700 with a 15 and get the full goal. Figure I've used a friends with a Canon MK III and 15mm and was a little tight due to the 1.3 crop factor.

Looks like I will be investing in a net cam soon!!

There's a very slight amount of distortion removed and some cropping, it's actually a little wider than what I posted. Only thing is that you do get the sides of the enclosure in the frame, you can see it still in the corners, I left it there.

I really want to put a D3s in there but the D700 is the cheapest to replace if it gets broken so I figured I'd just stick with using that. I don't like the shadow detail on the D700 compared to the D3s, I figure by the time the D5 comes out the D3s will make an excellent beater camera!

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:46 PM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · Oyster Bay Town Mites - Goal Cam

dankopp wrote:
Very nice. Although I hope that wasn't your son in goal on those shots.

Nope, it's him... he is just recently starting to play goal (Mom and I finally gave in), he's getting better and the coaches (on both teams) say he shows promise as a goalie. He's very ADD and the only time he focuses is when he's in goal...

I personally think they are Ok, I see some photos here where these rinks/arenas have tons of light and I'm in envy, lol. I've shot the Islanders at Nassau Coliseum and wish that all these rinks had lighting like that, even without strobing the light is a million times better than these town rinks.

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:54 PM
Hockey_Nut
• •
p.1 #11 · Oyster Bay Town Mites - Goal Cam

LOVE the shots! I'd say the lighting looks pretty good too given the sodium vapour lights that you have there the white ceiling will help a lot though. How long does it take to get the camera attached to the net, focused & ready to go? Not sure the rink rats here would let us start attaching cameras.

My daughter is also a goalie and she loves it. She stopped a penalty shot last week - tied 3-3 with 18 seconds to go in the game

Take care,

Brent

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:06 PM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · Oyster Bay Town Mites - Goal Cam

I'm almost never happy with the lighting, there's not much I can do aside from strobing the rinks which isn't going to happen. I recently shot an outdoor game during the day and it was great except for dealing with shadows.

It took a lot of convincing, my wife commutes to work on the train with the head coach so she buttered him up for me plus I offered a few shots to the town for usage. I'm still working on his travel team to let me rig up the goal when we're playing home games.

It takes me about 20 minutes with the goal to set up, with the goal preferably off the ice as I'm laying on my side to tighten up the clamps once I have it aligned. For focus, I'm leaving it up to the camera to choose the focus point and leaving the camera on AF-C. So far it's worked for me. I've talked to others with a similar setup and no one is sold on AF vs MF or using center point vs letting the camera pick the focus point. DOF at 15mm is pretty large so everything from the goalie forward should be in focus no matter what even at f2.8-f4.

The best thing I got for setup is the Cam Ranger... I'm not leaving it connected but I'm plugging it into the camera and using my iPhone to aim the camera. It's made setting up remote cameras a little quicker as I can look through the live view.

They lost the game 8-7, it's a house league with a lot of kids who have never played before. I think they have at least 1 ringer on each team as it was the same kid who scored almost every goal on my son. When we do this league with him as a skater he's usually the ringer, he's scored 10 plus times in a single game. I was shooting from the bench and the kids were asking me questions about the game, lol...

I don't get to use it much but I have it and I figure it ups my marketability as opposed to the tons of other photographers around here...

Jan 31, 2013 at 07:47 PM
Geoffrey Bolte
• • •
p.1 #13 · Oyster Bay Town Mites - Goal Cam

It will get quicker I know we can have it set in 5-10 minutes once you've done it a few times. Figure the knuckle to hold the rig can be preset and you just drop the box on it and be good to go, tweak it a little and go.

We use manual at f4 and while it works would love to go 5.6 or f8. When I get the chance planning on trying it with strobes... We will see.

Jan 31, 2013 at 08:01 PM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · Oyster Bay Town Mites - Goal Cam

I've gotten better at getting it set up, but it's hard to get some rinks to let you do it. I need to keep some shots of it and from it loaded into my phone so I can at east show them what it looks like.

Feb 01, 2013 at 02:08 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password